Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to glocks

1fast2liter

well i am lookig at buying my first pistol... and i think i am gonna get a g17... but would like to find out some more info. if i so chose would theis make a good race gun. with or with out some mods? or possibly a good match gun.. just curious on some good info.. thanks

The G17 is a good frame to start - you can put a 34 slide on it if you want. You can even change a few parts and run a 40 S&W or .357 Sig slide or barrel on it. It is a good place to start if you want to run with a Glock platform.

well i am lookig at buying my first pistol... and i think i am gonna get a g17... but would like to find out some more info. if i so chose would theis make a good race gun. with or with out some mods? or possibly a good match gun.. just curious on some good info.. thanks

What division do you want to shoot?

A 17 would be fine for production.

It would be ok for limited/limited 10 but you will be shooting minor and really stacking the deck against yourself.

It is a great gun to have an open gun built on.

If you want to shoot limited/limited 10 a 22 or 35 would be better.

thanks guys.. i really liked the feel of it when i shot it. what do you guys think on the taurus pt99 or the 24/7?(i know not glocks lol) i really am looking at the glock though. of all the people i talked to for longevity and such the clock was the way to go...

prreed10 were would i got to find info on converting the 17 to a 34 slide and to shoot 40 s&w... also what would the 34 slide do for it?

ok i hate to sound like a noob but whats the difference between single stack and double stack? thanks guys.

lol yeah i intend to a range close to here sells 50 rounds of reload for $9. not bad at all. i paid over 80 bucks to go shoot 2 guns to feel what i like.

not sure what i want to shoot for match.. kinda like speed rounds( i think thats what it is?) and i like to be accurate so some type of target matches...

not sure what s all offered around here. i am intrested in a gun that will performe well and shoot decent. and hopfully when wisconsin passes ccw around here it will be a decent gun to carry. also a decent gun for home use too.

You can take a glock 17, remove the slide, install a g34 slide right in it's place, no doing anything to it at all. To convert to .40, you need a .40 cal slide, either a g22 or a g35 with all it guts(barrel, etc). You also need to drop in a .40 trigger assembly to get the right ejector. The 34 & 35 slides are longer than the 17/22(same external dimension--identical except the 22 is a .40) slide so you get a longer sight radius, a few more feet per second & possibly a tiny bit more accuracy.

Single stack means the rounds in the magazine are just in a straight line, one on top of the other. Typically the magazines are very slim side to side. The double stack has the rounds staggered back & forth. An example of this is the g17. The rounds aren't quite side by side, but they are definitely staggered back & forth. A typical single stack is a 1911 .45. The mags are pretty limited in capacity.

Have you looked at the video on the front page of this website? www.uspsa.org . It gives a decent description of uspsa(typically called "IPSC") . There is also a locator to find all the places that shoot uspsa in your area. You might find it to your liking. I highly recommend you NOT buy a gun before you decide what type competition you want to shoot in. You could wind up with a gun that isn't optimum for your needs. Nothing wrong with having an extra gun but unless money is no object, learn before you buy.

MLM

It's a great place to start. The gun is incredibly durable. Magazines are inexpensive -- under $20 ea when you find them on sale. Holsters and Magazine pouches are readily available. There are plenty of inexpensive ways to accessorize it --better sights, true drop in triggers (for lighter pull), etc...

From your comments, I am also assuming that you do not reload. If so, 9 mm is definitely the most cost effective way to get into USPSA/IPSC or IDPA, and you most likely will want to start in Production or SSP division.

If at some point in the future, you decide that you want something different, you will not have too much problem finding a buyer for a G17.

Lastly -- Do as mlmiller1 suggested and decide what game(s) you want to play first before making your purchases. Go to the respective websites or some of the posts on this forum, read up on the rules. Check out a few matches and ask questions. This will keep you from making a few expensive mistakes.

"sorry to jump in, but where can you get just a 34/35 slide from?"

That isn't as straightforward as could be hoped for, and I know because I've been trying to do this.

Glock apparently doesn't sell bare slides or uppers. There was a fellow on line who used to sell uppers. He no longer does and I don't know how he got them.

If you want an OEM upper, you basically have to buy it from someone who bought the whole gun and is custom building a new slide assembly. A variation is to buy a used whole gun and refurbish the upper yourself. New uppers from the fellow I mentioned above were over 3 C-notes, and I understand that, with some hunting, a little used police trade-in could be had for only a little more than that.

Your other main option is to build an upper yourself from custom parts. That is what I am doing. I know of two companies that will sell you an aftermarket 34/35 slide, one currently in production (Caspian) and the other planning production soon (Lone Wolf). The slides are stainless, have front cocking serrations (which will be legal in Production per J. Amidon himself) and are not inexpensive, but are from reputable companies. You'll have to buy bbl, sights and all the top end guts. Total cost, including bbl and sights, will run $400 to $600, depending on how trick you want to get. Assuming you don't mind cannibalizing the top end you aren't using, you can save some on the internals.

So if you don't need trick/custom, buying a new upper from somebody whole doesn't need it is is the cheaper route, or the next best is to buy the whole gun used.

Probably better to simply buy another glock than to buy a 34 top end. The difference between cost of a complete new upper and 2nd Glock can be pretty small.

Besides you will eventually want a back-up gun. No matter how reliable Glocks can be, they are mechanical devices. Mechanical devices will eventually fail with use.

Now if I can simply follow my own advice... stick to a single platform, I might advance past the 'C' class plateau.

Edited by Wideload