Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympic Arms Ultra Match Barrels

paraman1

Anybody shooting one of these . I am going to replace the barrel on my Bushy since the pundits were right and the best accuracy I could wring out of it was 1.25 inches at a 100 yards . While this is great for a combat rifle , it stinks for a varmint rifle that will get used once or twice a year in 3-gun matches .

While I have no experience with the Olympic barrel, I have a barrel issue also. I'm shooting a Bsuhmaster V-Match 24" that is super accurate (.600") that I'd like to shorter and add a muzzle break. I'm concerned that messing with this may be the wrong thing to do and could reduce my accuracy. Might be best to leave this one alone. Comments????

Mike Finch

Team Sidearmor

Leadheads Bullets

My buddy bought an Oly with the heavy, fluted match barrel. Accuracy was fine. 1/4" @ 100yds was readily produced. I've heard a lot of anecdotal mystique bandied about Oly's "match" barrels and it may well be true, but I have a tough time believing that they're making a substantially better barrel than any of the other premium barrels available. Given Oly's quality record in the past, I'm not sure they'd be my first stop for a premium anything.

I have used Olympic products incl. barrels. If I remember their catalog, the Ultramatch is a cut-rifling barrel and Oly also offers button rifled barrels. I have a button rifled Oly 1" dia varmit barrel and even w/ the worst ammo, its under an inch at 100. HOWEVER, its far too heavy for 3 gun. What you are looking for is:

1) NON chrome lined - none of the top National Match/Camp Perry guns have chrome lined barrels. Glen Zediker's book explains this better.

2) a quality barrel such as a Krieger, Douglas, etc. from a known builder like Benny or White Oak Precision (do a search & you will find it).

Ideally, it will be a lapped stainless barrel -either button or cut rifled. I went the way of a drop in heavy barrel for a varmit gun and it shoots; getting similar accuracy out of a 3gun weight barrel may require lapping and bolt fitting for accuracy. Will the lighter Oly barrels cut it? Maybe. I find their stuff somewhat unpredictable as far as quality - often it is excellent for a bargain price.

Paraman1:

All the "oly" barrels in the standard weight, 20" stainless steel I have put on ( 6 of them) have been really good barrels. Pacman has one he put on and it has produced 1.25" groups at 200yd with a CQT scope so it probably can do a little bit better with a bigger optic. I like Krieger, but I have found the smaller (I.E. .223 caliber) barrels are VERY finicky as to what load they like ( just personal experience with 4 .223 barrels I have got from them.) In the bigger calibers they have been outstanding! KURT

My Bushy is a HBAR anyway and I will be replacing it with an HBAR profile barrel anyway . I can't afford another rifle since my wife lost her job but I figured rebarreling I could swing . I am going through Brownells as I get better prices than what they advertise and was looking at the DPMS/Brownells Chromoly barrel or the Olympic Arms chromoly or stainless . I had thought about a 1 inch bull from DPMS but they said it won,t work with my Briley free float tube . I would love a Krieger but the prices are just out of my range . I had just read some good reviews about the OLY and liked the 1-10 twist since I shoot light bullets for varmint hunting and have heard the 70 grain Bergers actually will work with the slower twist . I hope this helps better define the parameters I am operating within and better dfine what I am looking for . Any other suggestions ?? Or do you think the Oly barrel is the best choice given the situation ??

I got the Oly SUM barrel from Brownells, it is a good shooter for less than 200 bucks. It doesn't like heavier than 55 grains bullets, however. Kurt cut the thread and put on a JP BC brake for me. It is nice for 3 gunning.

I have a couple of OLY SUM barrels that shoot great. I also have a 26" SUM barrel that they custom made for me on my Winchester 70. Its in .300 mag and I couldn't be happier with it. Oly might have had some problems in the past with QC,but I am convinced they have turned that around.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my gun put back together and took it for a spin tonight . Using my toolbox on the back of my truck as a rest as well as a bag of fertilizer all groups were under a half inch with the smallest measuring under a quarter inch . Best 186 bucks I ever spent on a gun .

Paraman1:

Just the kind of post I like to see!! Sounds like just the thing for those North Western Marmots and 3-gun!!! An honest to god Milo field rifle....er carbine, well the Rock Chuck will never know the difference. KURT

paraman1, did the 70 grain bullets work in your 1 in 10? I was told that the heaviest I could use would be the 62s. I would love to use the 70s. My Oly barrel is very accurate. Nate

The tightest groups I got were with 69 grain Noslers (Very similar to the Sierra Matchkings) . I know they arent supposed to but they are without a doubt the accuracy champs .

While I have no experience with the Olympic barrel, I have a barrel issue also. I'm shooting a Bsuhmaster V-Match 24" that is super accurate (.600") that I'd like to shorter and add a muzzle break. I'm concerned that messing with this may be the wrong thing to do and could reduce my accuracy. Might be best to leave this one alone. Comments????

Mike Finch

Team Sidearmor

Leadheads Bullets

shortening your barrel should not affect accuracy, however you will drop some muzzle velocity (around 10-50fps per inch). this means you will need to recalculate your load (increase powder drop to return lost speed).

However, barrel harmonics can (not does all the time) affect accuracy. altering the barrel length will most definitely change the harmonics -- the way the barrel vibrates as the bullet passes through it . whether this will affect your accuracy remains to be seen.

Are you feeling lucky today?

regards,

gary