Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second shot to the left

Merlin Orr

I have really been bearing down on my sight alignment..but..still invariably pull my second shot to the left. I am wondering if there is a magic bullet - or is it just something I am skipping on my fundamentals. I "think" I am consistently waiting for the front sight but have to wonder if I am just seeing a glowing green dot rather than a true sight picture on the second shot. Hoping someone might have fought and concurred this same thing... What am I doing? Is it grip or a sighting problem? I am thinking of going back to the plain black front sight and see if this helps.

Thoughts?

Are you hitting center on the first shot?

If so, do that again.

Seriously, break it down. If you are paying attention to what is going on...your awareness will let you know what is different.

Pretty much the same..always. A-C...A-C .. A-C C is always left and usually a couple of inches lower than my first shot.

Merlin,

I would second the thought of finding out where your finger position is on the trigger for the second shot.

I just spent the last month shooting a glock with an 8lb connector and 8lb NY trigger spring (a little different than a 2lb 1911 trigger :D) It gave me fits trying to shoot it with my normal trigger position. I was pushing the gun everywhere until I changed my finger position.

As Jim was saying for you pushing left means not quite enough finger on the trigger. Maybe you are dropping that huge booger hook back off the trigger for the second shot.

Good luck my friend, Craig

Merlin,

I would second the thought of finding out where your finger position is on the trigger for the second shot.

I just spent the last month shooting a glock with an 8lb connector and 8lb NY trigger spring (a little different than a 2lb 1911 trigger :D) It gave me fits trying to shoot it with my normal trigger position. I was pushing the gun everywhere until I changed my finger position.

As Jim was saying for you pushing left means not quite enough finger on the trigger. Maybe you are dropping that huge booger hook back off the trigger for the second shot.

I will try to be conscious of my finger position and see if I can determine where it is and if it is changing....

You are a true word smith, Craig.... :P

Left and low is classic milking. Often caused by trying to control thre recoil by gripping a bit harder with the strong hand.

- Are you shooting form a modified iso stance?

- Is your left hand providing most of the "grip"? 50% ? 60% ? 75% ?

Merlin,

+1

Merlin, I think what you are describing is the exact same problem I was having and when I finally saw what I was doing the fix was easy.

With an unloaded gun :rolleyes: line up your sights on an object. Rest the gun on a table if you like because it's going to get heavy. sqeeze the trigger back over and over at different speeds but only take up the slack, just as far as you can go without the trigger breaking. While doing this watch what your front sight is doing.

Much to my surprise I was pushing the whole gun slightly low and left with the end of my finger. Not having my finger far enough in the trigger guard and not pulling straight back.

I also tightened my grip with my weak hand and loosened the strong hand so that my trigger finger was not under as much tension and then doing the same drill as above I would squeeze the trigger over and over while watching the front sight. When I could do this repetitively and keep the front sight from moving in any direction the problem was cured.

If this is not the same problem that you are having, I wish you the best of luck in figuring out what's wrong. If this is the same thing that your doing and this post helps in anyway, Then I'm glad I could help and feel free to let me have a chance on the next 1911 that comes up in classifieds :D:D:D

DonT

Sounds like the issues I have with grip pressure sometimes. Like others have said, when I overgrip with my stronghand that translates into pulling shots to the left. When I relax that a bit and increase grip pressure in my support hand it allows for less sympathetic muscle contraction in my stonghand and shots stay centered.

Also, have you changed anything lately? Springs. loads, different gun, whatever? Matt's Timing Drills help me get back on track after alterations.

HTH...

Here is the chart.

Looks like his trigger finger is too little...

I have had the same problem with my revolver. First shot was dead center and the next one would be low (instead of left). Reason was I took my timing for granted and pulled the trigger while compensating for recoil.

Remedy: what Flex said. Make two identical shots, instead of one well aimed shot and a trigger pull while trying to keep your sights on the target.

Hope this helps

Edited by spook

Merlin,

Since i've had my new 6" Bedell, i had the occasional 2nd shot left. Its all grip, i found i would relax my left hand too much, letting the front sight slip just a little too far left in the notch and let the shot go. Slow methodical traget transition drills have really helped.

RM