Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guns of the IRC?

paul788

Watching Shooting USA and Jim stated that "most shooters were using .38 roundnose" but all of the guns I saw were moonclipped. I will guess that these are PC 8 shot 627s. What else do you see at the IRC? Is anyone shooting a 6 shot in Limited?

Paul

Paul, You will see Smith 45, 38 specials and 38 supers and will even see a Ruger here and there. Most of the 6 shots are moonclipped. From what I saw.

I shot my 625 in Limited this year, and finished 5th. I think I'll shoot an 8-shot next year, but that's only because the post-match shoot-off is nowhere near 6-round neutral, and you pretty need the 8 rounds to be competitive in that event. Otherwise, a good moonclipped 6-shooter will do just fine.

I've shot the majority of the IRCs with a 627 but have also shot my 625 with very light loads. Remember you can shoot Open with optics and comps, or Limited. They also have a 6 shot special category for an added trophy.

If I shot the 6 shot I'd use my 625 over a .38 because mine is more comfortable to me and I shoot better with it.

Though I've never been fortunate enough to go to the IRC, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select at the LPR USPSA Nats! More importantly I roomed with Dr. Dremel and have talked with a few of the IRC's finest.

From what I've seen the 8 shot 627 in .357 Mag with moon clips by Hearthco and .38 Colt (short/long?) cases are a good tight fit and work well. .38 Specials will also work with them. The difference I'm told is the generic Moonclips are loose, or need a specific brand of .38 Special case to fit tight.

Then there's the die hard Speed Loader guys like Bubber, who give nothing up to a Moonclip.

There's even some of the .38 Super 8 shot 627's and some here have even posted using 9mm with a bit of modification.

Remember that Shooting USA isn't a good place to pick up info, but it is fun to watch.

The ICORE needs to produce some DVD's on the IRC and their sport in general.

Dave

Forgot to mention in my post that I now use a 38 super 8 shot. (last two years). Before that My friend had build a 38 special 8 shot on a model 28 frame. I used generic moonclips as that was all that I knew about. For a long time my revo of choice was a model 10 open revo with the Jet and Safariland speedloaders, cut down of course, as I had already wore out a 686 L frame in 1992. Wore the yoke out of all things. You can be competitive with any revo you choose, Roger Reid uses a Ruger cut for moonclips and does well.

Bubber, now you got me thinking. I have a M28 I don't use for anything.

Will an 8 shot cylinder drop in and work (fitting the Star of course) or does it take any special geometric manipulations of the Hand/Trigger/Hammer?

Takes a lot of work to make a standard Model 28 into an 8 shot. The barrel must be moved higher than it is the geometry is totally different. For what it would cost to make a 28 an 8 shot it would be cheaper to buy a Model 627. BTW there are two 627s in the classifieds.

Takes a lot of work to make a standard Model 28 into an 8 shot. The barrel must be moved higher than it is the geometry is totally different. For what it would cost to make a 28 an 8 shot it would be cheaper to buy a Model 627. BTW there are two 627s in the classifieds.

Thanks, I emailed Randy and he replied the same already. I saw that round-gun is selling a nice pair. Wish I had the cash right now.

I'm still drooling over plans for the IRC next year, just gotta make it thru this year first!

As much as the 627 is the dominant gun at the IRC, I bought one and after firing it, I found that I still prefer my 6.5" 610 classic using .40 S&W loaded to minor. The Standards can make or break you and I could not break the low 50's with the 627 while I could break into the mid 30's with the 610. I think this year I shot a 46 on the standards after all was said and done. The courses of fire were such that having the extra 2 rounds really didn't seem to make a difference to me. Dr Dremel bested me by over 50 points and took high Limited 6-shooter so I don't think it affected him all that much either.

This year Open S&W627 38 special V-Comp w/ C-More (had the wrong moonclips :angry2:) Need more time with this platform.

Last year Limited S&W625 5"

Next year Open S&W25-2 w/ C-More

IRC is 6 round neutral 8 shot doesn't give you much advantage. Maybe with HerthCo's moons it would reload faster but 45ACP is about as fast as it gets.

This is my baby...............627, .38 Super, C More, Super Low Mount, 6.5" slab BBL, Apex hammer, and extended cylinder release......I have also shot the IRC with a 627 V Comp, and have pondered taking a 625 next year.

Nice pic, nice blaster :cheers: !

Nope, it's one of the 100 Bangers exclusive 27-7s that were made back in 2000. I've been wanting more sight radius, and this seems like the perfect answer!

Obviously, I've installed a Millett rear and SDM front and a modified Ed Brown thumblatch, and Carmonized the hammer. Cool, huh?

Edited by Carmoney

Here's my new ICORE Limited gun I just finished, after finally locating a nice 8-shot 27-7.......I think I'll shoot it at the IRC next year!

Miike that's very nice. Looks like you could break out the dremel again and work down the top of the rubber grip to allow more access to the cylinder latch. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but it looks to be in the way.

Looks like you could break out the dremel again and work down the top of the rubber grip to allow more access to the cylinder latch. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but it looks to be in the way.

Hmmm.....I see what you're saying, but I guess it doesn't bother me. I've been shooting rubber Hogues and Ed Brown releases long enough now I guess I'm pretty well used to that particular combination.

Besides, I need to put a little handicap on myself, or it would ruin the fun for everybody else. ;)

Well, if I ever get out of Michigan to shoot the IRC, I'll use this that I just got back from Randy Lee. I have to sand off some wood behind the trigger guard and do some experimenting with bullets, but so far it likes Berry's plated 230's pretty well. After shooting a 625 4 inch for a long time this is like a rifle. Or at least a carbine. The action is just about equal to my 625.

http://IMG_2616.jpg[/img]

Festus, I had an 8-3/8" barrel on my 25-2 for awhile too, back when I was still using it for bowling pins. When I got into IPSC/USPSA shooting a few years ago, I decided the barrel was a little too long for that game (for me, anyway), and switched back to the original 6.5" tube.

One thing everybody needs to keep in mind about the IRC: A good 6-shooter can work fine for the main match (if you're steady), but if you think you might make the shoot-off, you really do want to have an 8-shot revolver. I can't exactly remember the steel target lay-out for the shoot-off (I think it's 11 or 12 plates??), other than the fact that it's extremely unfriendly to those with 6-round capacity. Just something to keep in mind.

One thing everybody needs to keep in mind about the IRC: A good 6-shooter can work fine for the main match (if you're steady), but if you think you might make the shoot-off, you really do want to have an 8-shot revolver. I can't exactly remember the steel target lay-out for the shoot-off (I think it's 11 or 12 plates??), other than the fact that it's extremely unfriendly to those with 6-round capacity. Just something to keep in mind.

Were there targets out there? All I remember about the shoot off was Mr. Bagakis giving me last minute coaching (last rites?) then shooting, then the crowd cheering.... while I tried valiently not to be sick... I did hear some clanging of steel from his side though come to think of it :blink:

Dave

I you miss a plate in the shoot offs, you may as well, hang it up anyway. :cheers:

I you miss a plate in the shoot offs, you may as well, hang it up anyway.

That depends on what the other guy is doing over there, doesn't it? I've shot lots of shootoffs for lots of years, and I've seen many instances where two excellent shooters stand there and blaze away at their plates and both of them make a big mess out of things before somebody finally settles down and gets the hits. We've all seen that happen when the pressure is on. Accordingly, capacity does become a factor in shoot-offs.