Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Happy Dance!

UW Mitch

I've been reading a lot, and appreciate the toughts people have posted on the Limited. I just ordered one from Rich at Canyon Creek as recommended in another thread. I can't wait for it to arrive! :D

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Henning for being such a great resource. I think one large bottleneck in the EAA guns becoming more widespread (besides how hard it is to get them!) is the lack of resources. Basically there's Henning (here and his own site) and the Tanfoglio site. I had a heck of a time finding pictures of Limited, so I'll take a bunch when I get it and post 'em here!

~Mitch

Got some pictures up on my website:

http://www.mitchlum.com/personal/eaa_limited/

I picked it up yesterday from John at JPL Precision. Took it to the range and ran a few mags through it. The huge safety might be great for right handed shooters, but for this lefty it was digging into my hand. Following Henning's great videos I disassembled it, ground the safety down to my liking, installed the fiber optic sight, and flipped the mag release (wasn't as easy to hit with my index finger as on a single stack 1911).

Thanks Rich and Henning!

~Mitch

Got some pictures up on my website:

http://www.mitchlum.com/personal/eaa_limited/

I picked it up yesterday from John at JPL Precision. Took it to the range and ran a few mags through it. The huge safety might be great for right handed shooters, but for this lefty it was digging into my hand. Following Henning's great videos I disassembled it, ground the safety down to my liking, installed the fiber optic sight, and flipped the mag release (wasn't as easy to hit with my index finger as on a single stack 1911).

Thanks Rich and Henning!

~Mitch

Nice pistol, great pictures. Congratulations!! What hammer is that? It's not the original Tanfoglio, is it?

Rich is a really good gunsmith, I send guys to him all the time and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to have him work on my guns. Please let us know how it works out for you as you get more and more time and ammo with the gun Mitch. Rich had some of these guns out at the Northern IL sectional and it was all I could do to keep from picking one up, they feel so good in the hand it just feels like the gun you need to have. I don't think anything out there surpasses the ergonomics of the CZ platform, not even the 1911 and I am a die hard 1911 fan.

Henning, get a 6" version of the gun approved for Limited and I will be all over it!!

Preliminary report:

Ammo: First off many "problems" can be attributed to ammo, so I'll go ahead: 40S&W loaded to 1.20" COL using Rainier RNFP, WINCHESTER primers. I ran about 40 rounds through it Friday when I got it to get some baseline initial impressions, then 60 more yesterday. Also ran one box of factory Magtec 40S&W through it.

H-140 basepads on 10mm mag tubes w/ grams follower and springs: My wimpy fingers could only get 17 rounds in it, but that's okay since I'm just getting the gun tested and debugged. On the first round it nose-dived into the feedramp. Took that one out, and with 16 rounds no problems. Admittedly, I didn't use a EGW undersize die to resize (using a Dillon Square Deal) nor have I single staged through my rounds with the Lee Factory Crimp Die that I just got from Midway. As Henning's video pointed out, it's very important to have each round with perfectly straight walls because tolerance stack-up over that many rounds can/will be significant. Grabbed one of those Glock mag loader helpers that fit perfect, so I'll see if that helps next time.

My modded safety paddle: Now my hand is happy when I shoot as the left side paddle isn't digging in to my shooting hand like it did the first day out.

Failures to ignite: My reloads are using Winchester primers, not Federals. I had maybe 1 out of 15 that would get a firing pin strike but not ignite. I would prefer the gun to ignite all primers. Parts inside are EGW, w/ EGW firing pin. I think the Henning X-long firing pin would solve this, or I could just load Federal primers and share ammo with my S&W610 (shooting 40 long).

Feeding: Fed my "40-long" ammo just fine, had some funny problems with factory Magtec ammo where the round would come loose from the mag, but would get stuck on the feedramp. Probably because I'm using 10mm mag tubes to accomodate my "40-long" the factory length ammo which is 0.070" shorter can't jump the gap. I've got some regular 40S&W mags on order, so I'll give that a try with factory ammo, but I think for the most part I'll just be using my own ammo, so sort of a non-issue here but it could be something to note, if you're not a reloader.

Trigger job: Rich did a good job on the trigger. Very little creep, almost no slack. I readjusted it to give me just a tiny little bit of slack because I wasn't letting the trigger out enough to reset maybe 1/10 times. Probably shooters who are more dialed in would prefer the no-slack.

I had to sell something I liked to get this, but overall I'm incredibly pleased with my Limited, and it was definitely worth it. It looks good, shoots good, and feels good. Like anything "high performance" there are slight tweaks that I have to work through to make it work for me, but that should be expected.

Once I get my ammo issue dealt with and more rounds down range, I'll post further review on it.

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch

If you adjusted the trigger over travel make sure the hammer isn't hitting the sear.

Depress the trigger all the way and move the hammer it's full motion and feel if it's touching

anything.

This could slow the hammer down and cause the light primer strikes if it's not uninterrupted.

You might also want to remove the firing pin block to see if your light strikes go away. In my experience, too little overtravel can cause the FPB to slightly contact the FP, hindering it's travel or stopping it all together. The sear won't be able to fully let the FPB down and clear the FP. If you've had enough light strikes, examine the FPB for evidence of contact/impact.

I believe the screw I adjusted is the "pre-travel" screw - how much the trigger is let out when you release it. I spoke to Rich on the phone, who said he test fires the pistols with ammo that has Winchester primers, but with the infrequency with which I had problems he may not have caught it if it was just a few rounds. He did offer to drop a Henning XL Firing pin in the mail to me to compare against - no charge! Talk about customer service! I'll post my findings, but for the mean time, Fed primers it is.

~Mitch

Pre-travel screw is accessed from inside - it limits how far forward the trigger sits at rest.

Over-travel screw is accessed from outside of the gun. It limits how far back the trigger can travel.

If you adjust the over-travel too much, the sear can become damaged (as previously stated) by the sear hitting the half-cock notches on the hammer when it's on it's way down, and you may run into the FPB problems I described above.

If you adjust the pre-travel screw too much (assuming the the trigger bar is not contacting the sear), you can run into reset problems. It's been a while since I've really looked at the range of pre-travel adjustment on my gun though.

I was going to start a thread on this asking how the pro's set up their adjustments (i.e. what is a safe way to make sure you won't either have problems or damage the gun) - but since we're talking about it now, if they could confirm/deny what I've said, it would be much appreciated :cheers:

Dave,

It's would be an interesting question relevant to everyone. Why not start a new thread. It was indeed the pre-travel and I adjusted it to give me more slack (going the opposite way of "adjusting too much")

~Mitch

You guys got me wanting to contact Henning or Richard to get a Limited.

DO IT!!! Henning says they're hard to get - he's high on the list for when more come in, so you could get on his wait list. Rich has ONE left, so you could get one right now. With the kind of viral marketing this kind of internet board provides, who knows if that's even still there!

I missed the boat on getting a Match in 9mm. Now I've been waiting MONTHS for our distributor to get some more. Didn't want to miss the boat on the Limited.

~Mitch :cheers:

• 6 months later...

Wanted to give an update:

I've finally worked out all my gear and did an entire USPSA match trouble free. I guess coming from shooting 1911s or XDs, running a Limited gun is like running a tuner car - you gotta make sure everything is right for it to run right, but when it's running right is gonna be awesome! It's nice to have something that looks nice, points nice, swings nice, shoots nice.

Tips that may be obvious to the veteran shooters, but were new to me:

-If a mag falls on the ground, disassemble it and clean it

-Wipe the rounds with a silicone rag

-Get the right crimp on your load

-Get the right OAL

-Undersize the brass (Lee/EGW U-die)

-These tighter guns have a break in period

My recipe (please test your own, this is what works for me, I'm not responsible if you blow up your gun!)

40 S&W

1.17" - 1.180" COL

180 gr MG JHP

4.8gr Titegroup

Fed Small Magnum Primer

Brass is U-died and FCD'ed with 1/2 turn of crimp

When I tested this load a few months ago it was right around 172pf (using a CED chrono). This weekend, same ammo out of the same batch, it chrono'ed at 180pf (Oehler chrono at a local match). Plenty of room to step down probably to 4.6gr Titegroup, but I'll just stick with what's running, since Area 1 is in a month.

~Mitch

Mitch, you're a lefty too?!? Very cool to have another Lefty in the Tanfo crowd! Nice blaster. :cheers:

Couple weeks ago I was shooting in a lefty squad - I think it was 50% or more left handed shooters! :D

• 1 month later...

Area 1 2008 Update:

The match was put on at the Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood Oregon. There were record breaking temperatures which really effected a lot of the shooters and their gear in the 100+ degree temperatures. The Limited just ran and ran! Not a single problem the whole match. My ammo chrono'ed at 176pf. A lot of people were getting reads a 1-5pf lower than they expected. It's nice to have confidence that you equipment will just run!

~Mitch

You need to work on that hat :P

Yeah, but I didn't go home sunburned all over like some of other people I saw cooking out there! :roflol: Some folks were done medium well, and some were really overbaked!

What I know I really need to work on is getting low and moving faster. When I was reviewing my tape of Michael Voigt I had to check that wasn't playing it on fast forward!

~Mitch