Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about a G17 for USPSA Production

Dave Gundry

Color - while yes, it should not be a primary concern, it is a factor. There simply isn't a large enough difference in the 34 or 17 that I can tell without putting a few hundred down the tubes of each to make a decision on at this point. After reading for hours about what folks that have had both models think about them, it seems even after shooting them, lots of folks would agree with my assumption, or at least admit the difference is negligible. When buying a car, all things being nearly identical except color, what do you do? Pick the one you like better :D

If you buy the gun you like better, you will practice with it more. It is just that simple. Sometimes I think people shouldn't even consider all the technical advantages of different guns, but just buy the one they think is the coolest, seriously :D

It's better to have a good gun and practice than to have a perfect gun and not practice.

Just got back from the range with the 17...

I am way too used to my big all steel Witness with a nice trigger. Had to really concentrate to shoot decently. The 17 is WAY too snappy for my tastes... So, I went and looked some more at the other options. Thinking more along the lines of an M&P (if there was a 5", it'd probably be a done deal), but would rather find a Witness Elite Stock... Don't know, have more research to do...

Just got back from the range with the 17...

I am way too used to my big all steel Witness with a nice trigger. Had to really concentrate to shoot decently. The 17 is WAY too snappy for my tastes... So, I went and looked some more at the other options. Thinking more along the lines of an M&P (if there was a 5", it'd probably be a done deal), but would rather find a Witness Elite Stock... Don't know, have more research to do...

Good reloads would soften that up somewhat and a 34 would help a bit too. The Witness Elite might be the smart choice as you're only talking a difference of the trigger action and everything else would be familiar. Other choices....if you really want a soft shooting gun, a Beretta 92D would make a nice production rig as would a Para LDA.

Guns seems snappier when you are paying attention to how they feel.

If a G17 is feeling too snappy, then we probably need to get you squared away on you grip and stance.

While my grip and stance are far from perfect, my evaluation of the G17 was side by side with my Witness. Just wanted to compare it to what I am familiar with. The G17 tips the scales at ~22oz, while my EAA weighs ~33oz... which might have something to do with my 'snappy' comment :D

Good reloads would soften that up somewhat and a 34 would help a bit too. The Witness Elite might be the smart choice as you're only talking a difference of the trigger action and everything else would be familiar. Other choices....if you really want a soft shooting gun, a Beretta 92D would make a nice production rig as would a Para LDA.

Reloading is out for now (no room to set up) - major reason why I am sticking with 9mm. I'll have to check out the 92's a but more. Not a fan (at all) of the 1911 design, but I'll look into them a bit.

Thanks guys :cheers:

While my grip and stance are far from perfect, my evaluation of the G17 was side by side with my Witness. Just wanted to compare it to what I am familiar with. The G17 tips the scales at ~22oz, while my EAA weighs ~33oz... which might have something to do with my 'snappy' comment :D

Right. The heavier gun takes some of the work out of it for the shooter. ;)

Of of the mindset that I'd rather learn and hone the technique, such that the platform didn't matter.

I totally agree with the earlier post about buying the gun you think is coolest. The feeling that my gun is cool makes me shoot better because it gives me confidence that the guys behind me aren't laughing at my dorky blaster. I've never bought a gun I didnt' think was cool, and I never will. More importantly, I've never bought a gun that I didn't think others would find cool. There are some who take pleasure in beating other shooters while using lesser equipment. I was not blessed with enough manhood to fall into this category.

Not a single word of this post was written in sarcasm, honestly. I meant every word of it, honestly...no really, honestly. Ask anyone who knows me, really.

Guns:

Production, G17 because the best local GM shoots one.

Limited, SV Sighttracker because it is "the flatest shooting Limited gun, period".

Limited 10, Springfield Armory Custom Shop 1911 because that is what TGO shoots.

Rifle, JP-15 16in V-Tac because JP was the coolest before I met Taran Butler and decided that MSTN is the coolest. Now I want an MSTN.

Shotgun, Winchester SX2 Mk2 because after spending money on all the coolaid above, I couldn't afford a Benelli.

Just buy the gun you think is coolest. I've never regretted it and neither will you. :)

Sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself to like polymer frame guns. It also sounds like you already have a platform that you are comfortable with (i.e., Tanfoglio) so, why not get a CZ? You can find lightly used CZ 75s for about the same price as used Glocks in decent condition, get Mecgar magazines for approx $20 ea., and shoot it in Production.

Finish school, get a job and then you might have the cashflow to experiment with polymer frame guns, single stacks, revos, what ever... (at least that is the myth before realities of student loans, car payments, mortgage and other heavy subjects drain your bank acct).

Edited by Wideload

the Glock is a great gun..and works for most people..

in this game..there is a lot of experimentation to find what works best for you..

you'll like the SP01..let us know if you have any questions once you get it.

CZ forum and CZ shooter are also good places of information..but BE is the best..because this is the place where people really do shoot their guns..

Is a G-35 legal in production. I thought it was a limited gun. :unsure:

The G34 & G35 are built to the edge of Production legal in terms of their barrel length. They are mass produced (over 2000 made avail to the public), and are a DOA/Striker gun, so they are legal. If you're wondering about the ported slide, it's legal because its a factory option on a mass produced gun. Only barrel ports are illegal.

thank you for the clarification. I too have been looking at the 34-35. Rob Melhorn at Man Mtn. Engineering also makes a beautiful #2 drop in trigger kit. Ask Taran. I believe he is using it. It has been the only thing keeping me from shooting production til I felt Robs mods. So, a rr adjustable sight and a front F/O, trigger job, pro-grip, polishing, 3.5 disconnect, #12-13 ISMI springs, and if I wanted to be cool, a storm lake barrel completes my PRO-duction gun????

Rob Melhorn at Man Mtn. Engineering also makes a beautiful #2 drop in trigger kit. Ask Taran. I believe he is using it. It has been the only thing keeping me from shooting production til I felt Robs mods.

That will most likely be illegal for next year. 3lb minimum trigger pull.

Rob Melhorn at Man Mtn. Engineering also makes a beautiful #2 drop in trigger kit. Ask Taran. I believe he is using it. It has been the only thing keeping me from shooting production til I felt Robs mods.

I'm fairly sure that's incorrect.

http://www.uspsa.org/members/online_meetin...mp;type=meeting

3lb. minimum trigger pull rule is dead. No limit on trigger pull in 2008 uspsa rule book.