Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Poll (should the VIP come back)

mchasse

Ok, Guys, I was at STI on Monday, and saw some really nice up coming products, but I can’t get into any of the details on them, but I would look at the last SkinnerGram, if you haven’t read it yet. STI wants your input on the VIP. They are considering bringing it back. They listen to your last input and even decreased the size of the lettering by 50 percent. So let them know what you think of the new VIP. The poll is up on the STI WEB site now at www.stiguns.com

Mike Chasse

[mod: signature ad removed, per Forum Guidelines]

why I dont have one,,,

every review I read about them, even the magazine article links at STI's websight , reported problems that required returning to STI. To me when the BS gun wrags that never say anything bad, and get worked over guns to review actualy mentions a problem that sets off alarms all over the place. When those same problems are reported over and over by different magazines, I avoid the guns like the plague.

STI can keep what ever logo they want. How about just building guns that work without coming through or going back to a gunsmith for tuning,

Wow! Pretty harsh words. I don't see why the VIP wouldn't run just as well as any other 2011 offering. I've never had an STI product that I wasn't totally satisfied with. I would buy the VIP if the price point were a little lower. I saw a used one going on the forum for 1,700 recently. For a gun that I won't shoot any matches with...Ouch. Other than that, I'm sold.

Ok, Guys, I was at STI on Monday, and saw some really nice up coming products, but I can’t get into any of the details on them, but I would look at the last SkinnerGram, if you haven’t read it yet. STI wants your input on the VIP. They are considering bringing it back. They listen to your last input and even decreased the size of the lettering by 50 percent. So let them know what you think of the new VIP. The poll is up on the STI WEB site now at www.stiguns.com

Mike Chasse

Hey Mike, if you want to advertise here how about ponying up and paying Brian for a dealer spot?

why I dont have one,,,

every review I read about them, even the magazine article links at STI's websight , reported problems that required returning to STI. To me when the BS gun wrags that never say anything bad, and get worked over guns to review actualy mentions a problem that sets off alarms all over the place. When those same problems are reported over and over by different magazines, I avoid the guns like the plague.

STI can keep what ever logo they want. How about just building guns that work without coming through or going back to a gunsmith for tuning,

Most of the problems associated with STI guns is from using different ammo and mags than what they are test fired with at the factory. Any small variance can cause a problem with a gun as tight as an STI. There is a sliding scale on tightness and reliability. We as IPSC shooters want both and have to find the balance. Sometimes that requires a little extra attention to some of the variables. I believe once we find that balance there isnt a more accurate, reliable ,functional and durable firearm on the planet.

The VIP isnt a IPSC gun its a defensive gun. And it should go bang with factory hollowpoints which is what the reviews used. The reliability of STI guns leaving STI is way out of proportion to the prices they charge. STI sent VIP directly to several magazine writers for review every one of those mentioned having to send it back to STI to get fixed so they could finish the test. Of course they then gave it glowing reviews and talk about the great service they got. Good service would be the gun working the first time. It is such a royal pain for us mere non FFL mortals to ship a gun back to a manufacturer for repair it usually ends up at a local smith getting tuned. And then we have just enabled a company to have poor QC.

No one on this websight that knows anything reccommends buying a gun from STI, They all brag about their STI's but they also say to buy it from an independent smith who has checked the gun out and "Tuned" the magazines.

There is still a difference in types of ammo and shapes of bullets. I had some federal hollow points once that wouldnt run in a colt goverment or a glock 21.

I also sold a police dept 44 eagles and 4 VIP's in 45. They later said they had 3-4 that the armorer had to work on but most departments have an armorer who works on their guns. The picture you are painting just isnt a true picture. I talk to customers just about every day who have freinds that own STI's or they have previously owned an STI and are looking for another to buy. I dont think they would be doing that if they were as bad as you portray them.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! Pretty harsh words. I don't see why the VIP wouldn't run just as well as any other 2011 offering. I've never had an STI product that I wasn't totally satisfied with. I would buy the VIP if the price point were a little lower. I saw a used one going on the forum for 1,700 recently. For a gun that I won't shoot any matches with...Ouch. Other than that, I'm sold.

how about a gun to bet your life on?