Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech DOH now legal in Production in 2008?

BayouSlide

Under the earlier versions of the 2008 Handgun rules, it seemed that the Blade Tech DOH would be illegal for Production due to the new 1 5/8-inch-from-the belt requirement. At local matches and in the forums, everyone had resigned themselves to having lost one of the two main battles of interest to Production shooters in the new rules (the other was the 3# trigger, which died a merciful death earlier in the process).

Now, in the rules showing as adopted in the August meeting, http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/online_att...andgunRules.pdf, Appendix D4 now lists "2 inches" in distance from the inner belt for both magazines and handguns. From the inside of my innermost CR Speed belt to the side of the grip of of my Glock 34, measured perpendicularly, it's approx. 1.93 inches. If that 2" isn't a typo, looks like my DOH is good to go in 2008 :cheers:

Maybe I'm living out here in the swamps, but this is real news to me. I had been corresponding with Blade Tech regarding any pending mods in the DOH based on the new rules when I finally saw this: they had asked for links to the new regs. When did this change to 2 inches occur and why hasn't this change, if real, received more notice, I wonder. Interestly, the photos in E2 show the earlier proposed measurements.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Not my area of concern, but am I missing something re: Single Stack? The same 2" rule now applies there as well.

2" for magazine pouches and gun. DOH not legal in SS, front strap must be at or above lower top part of belt, it's the dropped part that makes it illegal.

Mr. Stevens is correct, my bad.

Edited by HoMiE

19 Holster restrictions Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type holster prohibited.

Must carry pistol so that the front strap is at or above the top of the belt.

May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below

the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

Revolver holsters open no lower than halfway down the cylinder.

Does your DOH carry your gun where the front strap is at or above the top of the belt? Mine doesn't. You can't believe how pissed I am over this and the trigger pull weight rule.

Well not exactly. In Single Stack the entire front strap down to the trigger guard must be at or above the "top" of the belt. There is an exemption for females to allow them to carry their guns so that the heel of the butt is at the top of the belt.

Also there is no trigger pull weight rule in Production or any language that prohibits the DOH in Production.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

19 Holster restrictions Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type holster prohibited.

Must carry pistol so that the front strap is at or above the top of the belt.

May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below

the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

Revolver holsters open no lower than halfway down the cylinder.

Does your DOH carry your gun where the front strap is at or above the top of the belt? Mine doesn't. You can't believe how pissed I am over this and the trigger pull weight rule.

DOH was legal in production and still is, whats there to be mad about? Unless you want it gone?

There is no trigger pull weight rule? Did you have a trigger job done becasue you thought there would be one?

Yes, DOH is legal in Production. However, no-go in Single Stack.

That doesn't make sense!

If it's good enough for Production it should work for SS!!

I agree, but there's been a lot of discussion over this already HERE. I am sure there are other threads similar to this one.

Also there is no trigger pull weight rule in Production or any language that prohibits the DOH in Production.

Thanks for checking in, Gary. The reason for my post is that a lot of Production shooters haven't as yet noted the change in the final rules to 2 inch...at 1 5/8 inch the DOH would not have been legal, at least for Glock shooters running the common setup with a CR Speed or other belts. I thought I had been following the board discussion and the various motions regarding the 1 5/8 inch proposal but I never noticed when it fell by the wayside.

Hats off and our thanks to you or any other members of the board who had anything to do with the changes that brought the DOH back into the fold with the final rule change to 2 inch for holsters and mag pouches. I know some members of the clubs that I shoot with were assuming not only was the DOH out, but that certain common mag pouches wouldn't fit the proposed 1 5/8 inch rule.

Unfortunately, it's easier to find the prior Draft rules on the USPSA Web site than the rules as adopted, which has a link buried many levels down in the board minutes notes. You actually have to know what month the rules were voted on, and that it was a phone/online meeting, to find them.

Maybe the Web site could feature the adopted rules a little more prominently until the printed rule books come out in January or are the rules still in the proofing stage?

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

That web posting is delayed until after the Area 2 match. We didn't want various rule books floating around while an Area match was still not completed.

After an amount of discussion it was decided to move back to the 50mm rule as it had been, but to morph it into an inch measurement. So the 50mm rule grew a bit to 2 inches.

Thanks for your comments. Many, many long hours went into the new rulebook. While it will most assuredly not please everyone, it was approached with open minds and an attempt to make a good rulebook that will last us for several years to come. Hopefully this will produce rule stability that we have not had for quiet a while.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

So the 50mm rule grew a bit to 2 inches.

So that's what occurred. Just had gotten the old rule book under my belt with a recent RO course and I'm looking forward to studying the new one in depth before January.

I didn't follow changes affecting other divisions as much as I did Production, but in Production, it seems that the final rules followed some frequently expressed wishes offered by members during the initial comment phase.

Thanks again, for the replies, Gary. As I expected, it didn't take long to get some definitive answers on the BENOS forum and I'll be happy to do my part to help spread the word locally on these Production division issues.

Curtis

• 2 months later...

I had the same question but I was confused on the double belt system. While my gun sets within the 2" of the first belt it is questionable of staying inside 2" of the inner belt due to the thickness of the holster clip of the blade tech. Mine seems to have a cant outward at the top most of the XD handle when seated in the holster. At the point where the gun touches the holster it is within the 2", go higher on the gun and it does not meet the 2" standard

(Uncle Mikes rig, blade tech holster, blade tech drop/offset, Springfield XD tactical)

Under the earlier versions of the 2008 Handgun rules, it seemed that the Blade Tech DOH would be illegal for Production due to the new 1 5/8-inch-from-the belt requirement. At local matches and in the forums, everyone had resigned themselves to having lost one of the two main battles of interest to Production shooters in the new rules (the other was the 3# trigger, which died a merciful death earlier in the process).

Now, in the rules showing as adopted in the August meeting, http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/online_att...andgunRules.pdf, Appendix D4 now lists "2 inches" in distance from the inner belt for both magazines and handguns. From the inside of my innermost CR Speed belt to the side of the grip of of my Glock 34, measured perpendicularly, it's approx. 1.93 inches. If that 2" isn't a typo, looks like my DOH is good to go in 2008 :cheers:

Maybe I'm living out here in the swamps, but this is real news to me. I had been corresponding with Blade Tech regarding any pending mods in the DOH based on the new rules when I finally saw this: they had asked for links to the new regs. When did this change to 2 inches occur and why hasn't this change, if real, received more notice, I wonder. Interestly, the photos in E2 show the earlier proposed measurements.

Curtis