Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer help - CED 7000 Or PACT Club III

UW Mitch

I've read through most of that really big archived thread on timers, and I saw a lot of positives about both the PACT Club Timer III and the CED 7000. I think one advantage of the CED 7000 is how small it is, but you've gotta buy the beltclip/attachments separately. The PACT got good reviews and looks really durable.

Which do you have and why? My primary use for the timer is going to be personal use at the range for practice sessions.

Thanks!

Mitch

I've read through most of that really big archived thread on timers, and I saw a lot of positives about both the PACT Club Timer III and the CED 7000. I think one advantage of the CED 7000 is how small it is, but you've gotta buy the beltclip/attachments separately. The PACT got good reviews and looks really durable.

Which do you have and why? My primary use for the timer is going to be personal use at the range for practice sessions.

Thanks!

Mitch

I ditched the Pact III for the CED 7000. CED is more feature rich, suitable for solo and group practice :cheers:

how ...Old are your members? the CED is higher pitch than the pact in the Beep dept.

Ah yes thanks for reminding my on that front...so I can hear the beep on a CED 7000 just fine, but I'm 28 and haven't totally destroyed my hearing at concerts or shooting without hearing protection :) I know some of the older folks have had trouble with one guys CED 7000, but they also have some trouble with the PACT beep. I'm mostly gonna use it mostly for my own training so the beep sound isn't as critical since I can hear either.

Thanks for the input so far folks, keep 'em coming!

~Mitch

Mitch,

If you're going to be at the IDPA match on Saturday I can bring my CED 7000 to let you play around with it a bit. Let me know.

mattk

Thanks Matt! I'd like to check it out. Any buyers remorse with the CED7000? I was thinking of getting the RF version and hacking the wireless stream :D

~Mitch

I love my CED 7000. I use it for practice, but I alo keep it in my range bag when not practicing, and when soembody needs a timer at a club match, I reach in the bag and pull out a timer B) It's also nice to bring along to major matches, for a little dry-fire use in the hotel room. Its small and unobtrusive, but it's a very powerful timer when it needs to be. I'd pass on the arm-band, and the retractable belt-clip .... just use the lanyard that comes with it, or get the belt-clip "flip" style.

I also like the fact that it holds 10 strings of shots. Helps in practice as well as the occasional club match. Not recommended for Majors!

I didn't know it held 10 strings like the 8000 =Its a no brainer thin go for the CED, My old Pact horse stays at home untill I need a crono or a loaner for a match. I have the 8000 as my eyes like the big ###s and I dont think it is the same beep pitch.

JF

Well dang, in just a couple hours it's a pretty overwhelming response to get the CED. Next question, I noticed EVERYONE sells them for MSRP, so who's the best place to order from? CED directly? USPSA website? Dealers on this forum? I'm thinking I'd like to get the RF model and see if I can "hack" the RF stream to send data direct to a laptop. :D

Thanks again folks!

~Mitch

The only thing that bugs me about the CED 7000 is the battery indicator. It goes from full to half about a minute after you turn the timer on. It will stay at that level for quite a while, but it is a little disconcerting. If I'm planning on going to the range, I toss it onto the charger the morning of.

Unlike Chris Keen, I like the armband attachment. I'd also recommend buying a package of the screen protectors. Especially if you're just going to toss it into your range bag, like I do.

mattk

I voted for the Pact. I have one of those and I love it. My shooting partner has a Pact and a CED7000. When we practice, we find we use the Pact every time. One of the reasons is the Pact is a much louder beep which is necessary since we double plug. The CED is a nice unit as well, but I like the bigger buttons on the Pact.

To each his own though.

At one point is was 10 to 1 for the CED, but now the gap has closed and it's 20 to 10. I guess if one was completely the obvious choice, the one that was not the obvious choice would go out of business. Thanks for all the responses guys!

Still looking for a recco on who to buy from.

~Mitch

I started shooting this sport in 1980. Ron Bailey was a shooter then and sometime in the early

80's Competition Electronics was born.

I've been using his timers and chronos since he opened his doors. So let me add another timer

to the group. I'd go with any timer from Competition Electronics.

I started shooting this sport in 1980. Ron Bailey was a shooter then and sometime in the early

80's Competition Electronics was born.

I've been using his timers and chronos since he opened his doors. So let me add another timer

to the group. I'd go with any timer from Competition Electronics.

That's what I use as well.

Hello friends, I would like to say that this forum is great because of the shared information (this forum got me started in practical shooting). Well anyway I bought the CED7000 and am very happy with it, it works great. It has helped me with my training alot. I would like to voice one concern and I don't have any experiences with any other timers to compare. Is it just me or is anyone concerned with the durability of the unit, it kinda seems for lack of a better term cheaply made. Now I don't want to ruffle feathers but I was expecting a little more quality (buttons seem kinda flimsy). In saying that I am otherwise very happy with it, it works great and I don't regret my purchase.

my vote is for the pact club timer III

easy to use, fairly small, loud beep, big easy to read display

I tried a CED 7000, on the plus side, it was tiny, on the negative side, it was tiny. it was too small for my taste, and and it was not as easy to use as the pact.

While I prefer the CED 7000 over both the PACT and the Pocket Pro II, two things bug me:

-As has been stated, the battery indicator doesn't really tell you much: full-half full-empty. Not that much warning.

-I actually broke the plastic wrist attachment clip, while taking it out of its box for the first time! Really. It's an unbelievably flimsy made part.

Edited by SouthpawG26