Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling witness holes in mags

Dave Gundry

I do mine on my mill with good carbide end mills. They cut the holes like warm butter. If you don't have access to a mill, it would mark the holes to the local machine shop. I cut 8 Tangfolio mags in less than ten minutes, setup included, a couple days ago.

A long time ago I tried to do it with a drill press and they turned out real crappy. You can get through them with carbide tipped masonary bits if you want to do it on the cheap.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

With STI/SVI mags and Tanfoglio mags there is a huge difference. I have drilled out my STI mags with a cordless drill with no issues and have had no luck at all drilling out my Tanfoglio mags, those things are hard as hell! I even bought every good bit the hardware store had and all I did was ruin several good bits.

I do mine on my mill with good carbide end mills. They cut the holes like warm butter. If you don't have access to a mill, it would mark the holes to the local machine shop. I cut 8 Tangfolio mags in less than ten minutes, setup included, a couple days ago.

A long time ago I tried to do it with a drill press and they turned out real crappy. You can get through them with carbide tipped masonary bits if you want to do it on the cheap.

Alright, I'll slap it on the Bridgeport at school.

Yup, I'm working on some Tanfoglio mags :cheers:

Thanks all.

Guys and Gals: :surprise:

Some of our magazine makers should take some lessons from TZ, their mags are really a good product,

Caspians new 40 mag is made of the same stuff and are one heck of product.

Ive been making mags out of TZ mags for the Caspian forty guns for some time,

about as good a magazine that Ive seen so far.

Jim

Sailors custom :rolleyes:

Guys and Gals: :surprise:

Some of our magazine makers should take some lessons from TZ, their mags are really a good product,

Caspians new 40 mag is made of the same stuff and are one heck of product.

Ive been making mags out of TZ mags for the Caspian forty guns for some time,

about as good a magazine that Ive seen so far.

Jim

Sailors custom :rolleyes:

The new Caspaian mags are great! I like the basepads design also, pretty very clever.

<_< The heat in the welding at the center "Hardens" the steel. I drilled some of my mags = but keep the hole small or when you 'clean 'it up with a file it will get bigger. as is the lip of the round can drag on it . 1/4" is too big, I wish I had not gone so big and the rounds drag a bit sometimes.

I have drilled a mag or two. It isn't that hard, but you can't use hardware store drill bits and I would never undertake it with a drill motor.

Use the right tools or spend a couple bucks and send them to Scott or another gunsmith that can do them for you. If you do it yourself and it goes well you save a couple bucks, if it goes poorly you will spend the cost of the tube and then still end up paying someone to do it the second time.