Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats more difficult?

There are a lot of variables you have left out.

Are yo thinking of shooting 9mm in L-10? Because if so, you will be scored minor. It can be done, but V ERY tough to compete. 9mm is really a Production Caliber.

At 165 PF, .45 is not tough to shoot, and then you have the options of 200 and 230 grain bullets.

So, what are you looking to accomplish?

We need more info.

Easier is a funny word, it only has meaning in context to who said it.

Given that:

1. If you are reloading, 9mm may be cheaper than 45. A soft shooting 45 will help you learn to manage recoil. The 9mm in a 1911 is very soft shooting and a lot of fun. Knowing what I know now, I wish I started with a 9mm in a 1911.

2. If you are not reloading then factory 45 is about a 190+ power factor which produces a lot of recoil v. the 9mm factory. We have a local shooter using factory 9 mm in 1911 and he is very very smooth in his transitions. This is a big bonus. Additionally, 45 is very expensive now-Wally World WW is about $26/100. 9mm is about $14. The cost savings is huge.

BTW: the fundamentals of good shooting transcend all calibers. It is learning the fundamentals that can be timeconsuming. My advice would be get a 9mm in a 1911 and buy yourself some training/instruction from a good teacher to avoid training scars in the future. Having to unlearn ingrained bad habits is costly both in time and money. Then just keep practicing which is cheaper with a 9mm.

Personally I think you'd be exactly the same level of shooter after you switched to 9mm. Recoil to a good shooter is pretty much a non-factor, especially when dealing with the .45 loads used in this sport.

You might even shoot worse until you got used to the timing/feel of the 9mm.

Back when I also shot IDPA, the switch from my .45 Kimber L-10 gun to my .38 Super Colt ESP gun was totally uneventful and I don't think I ever saw a difference in clearing a plate rack. I don't think my splits were even 0.05 faster than my normal splits, which is the only physical difference between shooting major and minor.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish other than to be good. I realize most of the problem could be due to practice, and I have a hard time wanting to transition to a 9mm as I think its girly. I do reload 200gr.rn molly coated .45 acp w/ 4.3-4.6gr. of universal clays. Its about as lite as it can be, shooting an XD .45. I had no idea there was a 9mm in 1911. Go easy on me, I've only been doing this since march of 06'. And before shooting matches I use to just shoot at what ever, I don't know crap. I know the scoring is different from major/minor, I just thought double tapping was easyer with a 9 over .45. my draw ,I think would be the same and in production I would have to reload less. I do like the fact that 9mm stuff (bullets) are cheaper, but if I change, I'll have to buy all new stuff. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, its just more money. and Its something I don't have. Thanks for alll the info. :cheers: