Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP 18" or 20" SUGGESTIONS?

el pres

I am looking for a new JP rifle for 3 gun, from my experience you loose about 100 fps for

every inch of barrel,right? What lenth of barrel should I get 18" for weight and manuverability

or 20 for muzzle velocity?

It doesn't matter as much as you would think.

Ballisticly irrelevant. Handle almost the same, although the 20 is slightly more stable on long shots. The 20 moves a bit less also. Close in hosing the time you gain on your second shot is offset by your transitions.

I own both a 18" and a 20" JP, both mid-weight and I love both. Lightweight stainless carriers in each.

Now set up with and Eotech on the 18, and an Accupoint on the 20.

If you shoot any long range, 300 yards +, think about a barrel twist you can shoot Hornady 75's and 77SMK's out of.

My 20" 1 in 8 loves both, 1/2MOA. My 18" 1 in 9 is not as happy with either.

A 14.5" gun may feel better? What what SCORES better "for you" is what counts.

My little M4 is fun to play with, but I have seen the results on timer and target and for me that makes a 20" midweight with a short stock a winning combo.

No matter what call up JP and have a long talk with them.

Dont fall into the tactical crap trap.

I have won with both 16" and 20" guns. I like 20" guns much better and don't own any 16" barrels at this time. As for weight and manuverablity, I have won quite a few matches with a 22" barrled M1A which weighs more than most ARs and Scope combined, so I wouldn't worry too much about that weight thing! Shoot what ever you get a lot and all will be well! KURTM

I'm really thinking the light-weight, for matches like the IronMan or Ruby Mtn.. where I'm tired enough by the end of the stage, it would be nice to have less weight to support. Most USPSA stages are too short to matter.

I used to have a 20 JP upper, but sold it to go with the 18" JP. Right away the difference was very noticeable. The biggest difference being the recoil and weight. The 18" is obviously lighter and moves more shooting offhand than the 20" did for me, but I am faster and more accurate shooting the 18" gun offhand. I've only been able to shoot up to 200 yards with it so far, but with 55gr handloads, it seems to be just as accurate as anything else I've shot.

Dirty Chamber.

Look at the USPSA Multi-Gun Nationals from last weekend...Daniel Horner (US. Army Shooter and winner of his class and 5 stage winner) shoots a JP upper with a 20 inch I believe and the rest of the pack lean tward the 18 inch.

Twist is more important, 1/8 is what I believe is the answer so you can shoot light bullets for up close targets and heavy bullets for the long shots like at the Iron-Man and if you get to shoot the JP Rocky Mt. match.

I like the 18 inch myself but it is all preference...I am lucky to have extra rifle/uppers so I can have a DPMS 16 inch light-weight for the Tactical matches (targets that are in your face here in Washington State) with an EO-Tech, a 18 inch JP medium weight with a Meopta 1-4 for the rest of the matches and a 20 inch Olympic Arms for my critter shooter.

Shoot fast, shoot often but most of all...SHOOT!

Well, yes Daniel Horner runs a 20" and the rest, well they run 20" barrels also except for Taran who runs a 17" barrel. 20" barrels dominat 3-gun/multi-gun and it is rare to see a 16" or 18" at the top with the exception of Taran and Ted just to clear that up. KURTM