Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11 years since I quit chewing tobacco

vrmn1

Can you share what method you used to quit? Thanks!

Yep! I quit.

Cold turkey.

I was motivated. My wife was pregnant with my son and the thought of him doing it scared the hell out of me.

18 years and I finished my last can and said thats it.

I climbed the walls but thats what I did.

And I still want one about everyday.

Congrates, I'm at 1 year 11 months.

I used a nicotine patch step down program 4 or 6 weeks I don't remember, and I substituted shredded coconut in place of my skoal for my oral fixation. Eventually i just didn't need the coconut anymore.

Yep! I quit.

Cold turkey.

I was motivated. My wife was pregnant with my son and the thought of him doing it scared the hell out of me.

I'm in the exact same spot. I quit a week before my youngest Son was born. I'm going into my 7th year.

Congrats.

Yep! I quit.

Cold turkey.

I'm in the exact same spot. I quit a week before my youngest Son was born. I'm going into my 7th year.

Congrats.

Congratulations to you too.

It ain't easy sometimes but worth it.

I chewed a couple cans of cope a day for 15 years and quit 10 years ago. Used the nicotine patch, as doing it on my own made me Freak Out (like I need to enhance that aspect of my personality) <_<

Puff the occasional cigar now, but boy, did chewing run me down physically.

I kinda miss that synthetic nicotine patch high.......... :o

only way to go is to just quit. cutting back keeps you addicted and prolongs the agony,

After 24 years of Cope, I have to agree 100%. I quit cold. Chewed sunflower seeds for about a week and that was it. I craved for about a month after stopping but haven't craved since.

I feel like on an AA forum. "Hello, I'm Daniel and I'm a nicoholic". :D

I have been using skoal for years and quit 3 weeks ago. I just made my mind up to do it. The cost was starting to get into my shooting money. The hardest thing I have ever tried to do. Using shredded coconut sounds like a good idea i think I will try it cause I am eating everything in the house. That is my biggest problem all the eating and the weight gain. If any one has a suggestion for the weight gain let me know. :unsure:

Ive gained about 10-15 pounds, I have used some excuse eating, but also figured some extra fat that I can loose later has got to be healthier than the tobbacco, as well as cheaper. I just kept the fridge stuffed with fruit and vegetables, that need alot of chewing, Also some of the weight may be muscle as I also started exercising, and weight training more so who knows.

I have been using skoal for years and quit 3 weeks ago. I just made my mind up to do it. The cost was starting to get into my shooting money. The hardest thing I have ever tried to do. Using shredded coconut sounds like a good idea i think I will try it cause I am eating everything in the house. That is my biggest problem all the eating and the weight gain. If any one has a suggestion for the weight gain let me know. :unsure:

www.crossfit.com

Hurts so good.....

I have no suggestion for not gaining weight. Sorry.

I did eat about a 5 gallon bucket worth of peppermints in the first 6 months or so.

If I had gained weight it would not have mattered because it was worth it to quit dipping.

It was just flat out hard but I did it.

The crazy part was we were building a house, my wife was pregnant and we were living in an apartment which drove me crazy all at the same time.

Maybe all of that kept me too busy to think about dipping.

Just know it does get easier.

You have to take control of it tho. Thats what you are really doing. You are quiting but also taking control of it. I still want one so bad sometimes even after 11 years.

As a total nicotine junkie, I smoked from 14 to 29 yrs old, chewed from 29 to 36, for the last 8.5 years have chewed nicorette gum - my guess is I have spent $27,000 on nicorette - the bad news. The good news, C Everett Koop, while phsycian general published a study that there are none of the cancer causing agents in the gum/patch, that the tar causing emphezema and lung cancer are not there and that nictotine by itself is benign. In fact, for people with GI problems like colitis, nicotine is actually good. But still an absolute ncotine junkie.

jkushner1