Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strike problem

tx911

I keep getting light strikes with my limited gun. It is a .45 so the problem is with large primers, I bought several boxes of PMC large magnum pistol primers because I got a good deal, and this is all they had. It seems to only happen with these particular primers, now to the question. Is this happening because they are magnum primers? I have a few boxes of CCI, and so far it never seems to happen with the CCI or winchester primers. Do I need to save the PMC's for practice or is there a problem with my blaster?

I keep getting light strikes with my limited gun. It is a .45 so the problem is with large primers, I bought several boxes of PMC large magnum pistol primers because I got a good deal, and this is all they had. It seems to only happen with these particular primers, now to the question. Is this happening because they are magnum primers? I have a few boxes of CCI, and so far it never seems to happen with the CCI or winchester primers. Do I need to save the PMC's for practice or is there a problem with my blaster?

I use only Winchester Small Rifle primers (open gun) so I cannot comment on whether or not the primers may be the culprit, but through the years I've had light strikes occur for the following two reasons.

If the problem is gun related, the #1 reason is the main spring (hammer spring) is too light. I believe most 1911's use a 17# or greater spring. I've seen a couple of guns where the home gunsmith had cut a few coils off of the spring to give a lighter trigger pull. Not the way to do it. If a lighter trigger pull is the goal, have your smith do a trigger job. He may then install a 15# spring.

The #2 reason is a worn or damaged firing pin. To solve this problem I replaced my firing pin with an extra length one. Replace the firing pin spring at the same time. Either one damaged can cause problems.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Not to disagree with anyone who's posted so far, but the #1 cause of a light primer strike is a high primer on a reload. It might be that the PMC large magnum primers are a little harder and don't seat quite as well in the cases you're using and the combination is giving you the light strikes. It certainly could be that you've got a gunked up firing pin hole, lighter/worn mainspring, etc and the harder magnum primers are just hard enough to cause the occasional problem.

Sounds like it would be best to just keep those primers for practice and use a known quantity for matches. I had to do that recently....went with a lighter mainspring and it caused the occasional light strike that wasn't from a high primer, but only in ammo with small rifle primers. So, they're now for practice in .40 or my Open gun that seems to be fine with them.

Give the gun what it wants if the usual suspects are eliminated :)

The subject of primers has been pretty well covered, so I wanted to point out that main springs DO wear out and cause light strikes, especially if you're running a light spring to begin with. Something worth changing here and there.

The firing pin is new, and I am a fanatical gun cleaner so the gime in the hole is not likely the problem. I also put in a new mainspring and still had the same issue. The primers are difficult to seat compared to winchester primers, so the high primer seems like a valid point. I guess the PMC stock will be relegated to practice ammo. Thanks to everyone that offered help.

The firing pin in it now is longer than the one that came in the gun, it did not help. I think that the problem may be the high primers due to the fact that they are very tight to seat. What will a high primer that has been struck look like? Will the "divit" from the firing pin be shallower? Thanks for the help.....gun troubles are frustrating!

A properly seated primer should sit just below the surface of the case. If you rub your finger over it you should feel a slight dip when your finger passes over the primer.

I suspect that the problem is the Magnum Primer. Magnum primers are harder than regular primers, if the gun works fine with regular primers then this is most likely the cause.

Hope you are able to fix the problem.

Do not over look the main spring. I had to go to an 18# for rifle primers. If the trigger job is done corectly you can still get a good trigger pull and solve any problems with light strikes even with a some what high primer. My trigger pull is 1.3# right now; never have a light strike.

Thanks for all the replies, I used some CCI primers, and went out today and shot about 300 rounds, and not a single light strike. Before I was getting one or two in every mag. Seems the primers are the problem. Thanks again for all the help, this is a great site.

I have heard that the CCI primers are hard, but they seem to be working fine. I can buy them locally and avoid hazmat shipping charge, so hopefully they will continue to go bang everytime. I am going to do some serious practice in the AM, so I will see how things go.