Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety question

Fireant

OK, the thumb safety on my open gun engages way to easily. Last weekend I thought I had my gun locked up tight with a stuck case(I had that issue the previous week) from a high pressure load. While I was beating it open I then realized that the thumb safety had engaged. This happened several more times that day. How can I make the engagement more solid? My limited guns acctually click when engaged/disengaged.

Edited by Fireant

new plunger spring? for a quick fix, you can stretch out your old one and see if that actually helped. if it does, get a new spring. the spring doesn't require a huge stretch, just a smidge.

if the spring isn't the issue, does your safety have that dimple where the plunger sits while the safety is disengaged?

Edited by yoshidaex

when re-installing my thumb safety, i need to press the spring in before the safety goes on. the spring stretch technique is just a quick fix so make sure you get a replacement one if the spring is the problem. at the same time, i'm thinking the dimple area could be worn down a bit.

keep us informed on what you find.

Well, I would ride it, at least I think I was riding it, but it would engage way to easy. I pulled it out and man what a horrific mess. There is no streching this mangled piece of garbage. It was all limp, twisted and only about half as long as one from my limited gun. I'll be ordering some replacements this weekend. Thanks.

Edited by Fireant

I always make sure to pull out the spring and plungers when I clean my guns. Only takes a second to do it. Also I run a pipe cleaner through the plunger tube every other time I clean. A drop of oil on the spring before re-installing should help keep everything nice and clean.