Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Cars That You Wish You Still Had Today

First car (got free) '59 Triumph TR-3...had lived most of it's previous life on the windward side of O'ahu and the rust cancer was near terminal. High school kid with no job couldn't keep up with that so sold it for $250.00 Still kick muhself for that.

Third car (free again) 63 Plymouth Valiant three speed column shift, perfect for a kid just out of high school making $3.00 an hour, bullet-proof Chrysler slant six, four doors for friends and bench seats front and back. Not so much the car or the way it ran, but more about what went on in the car when it was stopped...hmmm mmm, Diane....

Fourth car ($750.00) '67 Bug that I put every last free dollar into and damn near everything you could find in any issue of dune buggies and HOT VW'S magazine. I still don't know why I thought a semester's tuition and books were worth SELLING my baby for.

Ninth car (brand new) '84 Ford Ranger with the 2.3 V-6 3.73 gearing and 4WD. Many birds bagged up on Mauna Kea in that truck. Traded in for a Cherokee when the first son was born.

Eleventh car (bought with leftover funds from trading the Cherokee for an Aerostar for my wife) '73 Ford F150. Big, bad, lifted...sucked gas even when gas was still relatively cheap. Didn't ever finish building it out, which is cause for regrets. I always have thought the early '70's Ford trucks were the best looking.

Seventeenth (bought during the top of the housing bubble) and I'll sell the house before I sell this one...(uh-huh, sure) '05 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Longbed. 6.0L Powerstroke, leather, and power everything. If I stage it right at the stoplight it will sure surprise those tuner-car boys. And carry 6 Pepper Poppers and 10 US poppers with no sign of strain except at the tires.

Now the eighteenth "car" is a little bit different...I've still got her even though she's not currently "employed." May have to sell her...well you know how that goes....

post-5998-1217741463_thumb.jpg

Edited by gino_aki

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1967 GTO, bought new ($2400), and took to 1st duty assignment in Germany. Autobahn speeds > 140mph. Liked gas, but it was 25 cents/gallon then. Sold it (regrets) when I went on the 1st tour to Vietnam.

1967 GTO, my wish I had not sold it car. I bought one in Wyoming in 1980, it was a straight sun faded Utah car. It would run from Rock Springs out to the Jim Bridger Coal Mine showing near 7,000 rpm on the tach and about 24 seconds per mile marker.

Took it apart to replace the timing chain. (The "rebuilder" had left the cam plate off the front of the block behind the timing gear. The chain only lasted about 10K miles the way I flogged the car.) It got the rods reconditioned, a set of .040 over pistons, the correct cam, and I went through the transmission, the crank was straightened, ground and balanced, I assembled the short block, had the heads completely redone, but never had the money to do the paint and interior. It was apart in 1987 yet, and I owed the feds some tax money. I sold it for $1200 which was about 1/2 of what I had in it and the parts/machine work. Wish to hell I still had it.

Edited by Michael Carlin

First car, 1940 Ford Coupe with a 322 Buick motor, stock three speed tranny and rear end

Second car, 1965 Dodge Coronet 440 with a 426 Hemi and 4 speed (still have one of the fender flags)

Third car, 1975 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega. I always wanted to drop a Cosworth motor in a street rod, That would have been a screamin 4 cylinder rod!

Fourth car, my mom had a gorgeous 1967 GTO. Burgundy paint and interior. 389 with a four speed.

I miss them all!

CYa,

Pat