Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do I get a gracy or girard trimmer

GentlemanJim

http://www.giraudtool.com

Keep in mind when comparing, that when you buy the Giraud, you're getting 3 *carbide* cutters for the price of 1 because Giraud uses the industry-standard tri-lobed cutter design. Pay more up front, save in consumables over the long haul.

I have no experience with the Gracey, but with the Giraud, a cutter set up for say .308 it's good for everything 30 cal. All you need to do is buy new shellholders for each cartridge.

One tip I'd give is to use it so that the cases are vertical. This will keep brass shavings from getting in the case holder and skewing the cases during trimming. I've trimmed probably 1500 cases with my Giraud now and am very happy with it.

http://www.giraudtool.com

Keep in mind when comparing, that when you buy the Giraud, you're getting 3 *carbide* cutters for the price of 1 because Giraud uses the industry-standard tri-lobed cutter design. Pay more up front, save in consumables over the long haul.

I have no experience with the Gracey, but with the Giraud, a cutter set up for say .308 it's good for everything 30 cal. All you need to do is buy new shellholders for each cartridge.

One tip I'd give is to use it so that the cases are vertical. This will keep brass shavings from getting in the case holder and skewing the cases during trimming. I've trimmed probably 1500 cases with my Giraud now and am very happy with it.

That is one nice machine. I am still trimming by hand. I just might look into this. ;)

I learned how to process brass from Dave but I go one step further, I run the brass back through the neck sizer after trimming, that way any burrs or flash are knocked off. After polishing the necks are smooth with no burrs and the bullets seat nicely.

Get back to work Dave!

Edited by TMC

Jim,

Stick the deburring tool in your milling machine or lathe. running 5-600 rpm. The Giraud and Gracey units come up for sale from time to time on the Highpower boards. The Gracey will go for less money, but, isn't as nice as the Giraud. The Giraud is a refinement on the Gracey. If you get a Gracey, get the carbide cutter from Bob Jones.

I learned how to process brass from Dave but I go one step further, I run the brass back through the neck sizer after trimming, that way any burrs or flash are knocked off. After polishing the necks are smooth with no burrs and the bullets seat nicely.

Get back to work Dave!

Hey, I'm old - I forgot about that step... I have a neck sizer after the trimmer

I size deprime and trim on the 550..then onto the primer swage...deburr by HAND(whitch really sucks by the way)

Then repolish ...polishing alone dont fix da burrs <_<

Having both me and the wife shooting and practiceing...is just TOO much to handle with this method.

I cant afford..and dont trust preprocessed brass.

You can chuck the deburring tool by the stub end but its 3/4" diameter is too big to chuck..and its tool steel so its too hard to turn down <_<

It seems the new trimmer is a good solution.

I quess I could make an arbor for it. that would help in the short run.

Jim

Jim - get the Giraud. I bought mine this past winter with .308 and .223 shell holders. I've switched back and forth (adjusting the cutter is simple but time consuming) and I've trimmed 5K cases so far (800 in the past 2 days). Push the case in the holder, twist and it's done. It's worth every penny you'll pay for it.

Mike

I haven't tried the Giraud Case Trimmer yet, although I hear a lot of good things about it. I usually use a Forster case trimmer. The Forster case trimmer can be adjusted to give very consistent case lengths. They can be set up with a cordless screwdriver, electric drill, or other power drive, although I haven't done that.

I have one tip on deburring trimmed cases. I have two of the RCBS hand deburring tools, and I put those in Forster pedestal cranks, with one installed in the pedestal crank for inside deburring, and the second installed in the second pedestal crank for outside deburring. Both pedestal cranks are mounted just in front of the Forster case trimmer (closer to me) on a work bench. (The case trimmer is on a block 1" high that raises it above the bench so that my knuckles don't drag -- well, at least on the bench.) After trimming each case, just move it down to the inside deburring tool and about three quick turns on the pedestal crank handle deburrs the inside, then move over to the outside deburring tool for another three quick turns.

This isn't as automated as I would like to get it, but it is a heck of a lot faster than holding the deburring tool in your hand. I figure it takes only about five or six seconds to deburr each case, after it has been trimmed. (That doesn't include the time for trimming, obviously.) Using the pedestal cranks avoids the carpal tunnel syndrome and the sore forearms that result from twisting the damned deburring tool in each case.

A couple of quick points about the Forster case trimmer itself. The handle for the case trimmer (and the pedestal crank) is an aluminum knob about 3/4" in diameter, with a knurled finish. It is fairly uncomfortable to use for long trimming sessions. You can buy 3/4" cane tips at your local pharmacy (I bought my latest set at Wal-Mart) very cheap. I had to trim about 1/4" off the top of the cane tip so it wouldn't interfere with the arm of the trimmer, then slip the cane tip over that aluminum knob. It gives a better grip, avoids sore hands because it is much larger to grip on to, doesn't come off, and lasts about 20 or 30 years. The same cane tips work on the handle of the pedestal crank. Makes both trimming and deburring much more comfortable in long runs.

The T-handle that tightens the collet of the Forster case trimmer is small and uncomfortable to use. Drop by your local auto parts store and buy one foot of 1/8" windshield washer hose, and cut a short piece to fit over each end of the T-handle. That makes that T-handle on the collet much more comfortable.

With these very inexpensive modifications, using a manual case trimmer and deburring your cases is a lot easier, and maybe you can hold off a bit longer before you come up with the big bucks for a Gracie or Giraud case trimmer.

Even if you have a Giraud trimmer, those don't work on straight wall cases, as far as I know. There are times when you want to trim straight wall cases. Not very often, but if you are loading a straight case such as the .375 Winchester or .444 Marlin which generates fairly high pressures, those cases can stretch, too. You might also want to trim a new batch of pistol target brass in order to get consistent case lengths so that you have consistent crimps. That will aid accuracy.

I hope you can find something useful here.

Jim M.

I came close(r than I would like) to blowing up my bolt gun because I was getting lazy about trimming brass. I justified the Giraud as an investment in my personal safety. Now there's no excuse for me not trimming brass and trimming it right. I've started to look at certain reloading/shooting purchases as investments in me. Such as: "I'll bet that will seem really cheap after I pay my insurance deductible." ;)

I'm kind of surprised that you think that the Dillon has too much burrs. I just set mine up and I don't think there is really much to be gained in deburring and chamfering.

Have you done shot group comparisons between:

Dillon Trimmed/Resized

Tumble

Load

vs.

Dillon Trimmed/Resized

Tumble

Load with neck expander ($25 die)

vs.

Dillon Trimmed/Resized

Tumble

Debur and chamfer

Load

I doubt at 100-300 yards there is going to be much difference in practical performance between the three. If you are shooting benchrest or long range rifle... probably.

If you get the Gracy/Girard it would be cool if you compare 5+ shot groupings using:

Resize

Tumble

Gracy/Girard Trimm/Debur/Chamber

Load

vs. the first three options.

Is a .25 MOA (possibly) improvement worth the extra time needed in the reloading process and an additional $400+? For long range rifle... sure... maybe. But for 3 Gun?