Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A new rifle drill, what's your best time?

ap3

A friend of mine Chris Conley came up with this drill that involves using a stationary 8-10 inch steel target starting at 50 yards out and advancing box to box up to 25 yards out. Attached are the specs for setting up the drill. If you were ever looking for a drill that was aerobic exercise as well as sharpen your rifle skills this is it. It is very easy to set-up and I lost 10 pounds shooting this drill ;) . My best time was 16:16, let me know how you did and Chris know how you like his drill.aerobic_rifle.DOC

Edited by ap3

Thanks for the post AP3. Glad you liked it. 16.16 is pretty good. I think my best time was 16.80ish. You're right this drill will push you to the limit. The first time isn't so bad but after the 15th your ready to go on O2. I'll be back at it on Friday with this drill and I'll post a new time. Might use some targets as hard cover in front of the boxes like you suggested.

Chris C.

Was this drill suppose to one or two shots on the steel?

Doesn't matter it still gives you a hell of a workout.

Edited by Chris Conley

What does one do when we don't have steel that will stand the abuse of .223? For that short a distance what about the 1/2 size targets?

Dan, I am using my .22 cal ciener with 30 round mag. It might be cheating a little but you get the same benefit. It's also pretty cheap.

Chris C.

What does one do when we don't have steel that will stand the abuse of .223? For that short a distance what about the 1/2 size targets?

Dan,

I use the 1/2 IPSC size AR 500 targets from Artzen($47) http://www.arntzentargets.com/ mount them to a 2x4 with the bolt going through a spring that sits between the target and the stand and they work great. I just don't count any hits that are not within the center, the size of an A zone. Really, a paper plate stapled to a peice of cardboard would work, you just would have to paste after one ot two runs.

I like the use of the .22. One of my 10-22's is set up with a thumbhole stock and an extra Simmon's 1.5x5. Sight height is similar to the AR. 30 round mags aren't a problem for it either. As for targets I have a bunch of steel plates that are T1. Not good enough for .223 but fine for any handgun that I shoot at them. Looks like a good practice!

After getting hit in the knee w/ a rebounding bullet off a steel plate @ 50 yds, I think I will pass on this one.

Maybe it is because I use a plate againist a spring to shock aborb, but I have never even had a close call. I also angle the plates downward when they are mounted. The only rebound I have ever experienced is rebounds from poppers and knockdown plates at matches.

With all that said, nothing says this is still not an excellent drill to incorporate fitness into practice using a paper target.

• 3 weeks later...
OK AP3,

Did the drill today about 10 times. New time to beat is 15:21. To me it felt slow but looked at the timer and it was 15:21. That was after I ate a huge lunch. Go figure..... I'm still 165 lbs.

Chris C.

You are an eating machine... Now that was two shots per target and with 223? I'll be giving it another run to see if I can get under your time

You guys just gave me an idea!! How about we create a whole set of practice drills that are cardio smokers!! It could be like Pilates for IPSC shooters!

I was thinking about taking your idea and modifing for pistol. Haw about 5 to 30 yards, 5 yard intervals, but with a IPSC target? Anyone have any thoghts?

--kevin

P.S.

Thanks for sharing a great drill!!

OK AP3,

Did the drill today about 10 times. New time to beat is 15:21. To me it felt slow but looked at the timer and it was 15:21. That was after I ate a huge lunch. Go figure..... I'm still 165 lbs.

Chris C.

You are an eating machine... Now that was two shots per target and with 223? I'll be giving it another run to see if I can get under your time

No that's with my .22 conversion and yes 2 shots. The steel that I have is a little soft for rifle but I'll get with the Drazy steel guy and get me something ordered soon. I guess we could handicap it some how.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

You guys just gave me an idea!! How about we create a whole set of practice drills that are cardio smokers!! It could be like Pilates for IPSC shooters!

I was thinking about taking your idea and modifing for pistol. Haw about 5 to 30 yards, 5 yard intervals, but with a IPSC target? Anyone have any thoghts?

--kevin

P.S.

Thanks for sharing a great drill!!

That's the point with the drill's. Fitness and shooting all at the same time. Been thinking long about it and there is more to follow. Imagine shooting a 2 or 3 day match and never get tired in the heat. That's where I want to be. That's we I'm going to be. It would be a huge advantage, especially in 3 gun. Think about it, your mind is the limit when it comes to this kind of training.

Chris C.

How about "Roger's House of Pain" with a rifle?

Move targets (yardage) as needed (for the training you are going to do that session).

If it's a riot with a pistol, it's going to be just as fun with a rifle?

I want to try it ASAP!

FM

Front man, sweet avatar. You are the man. You should have seen the Glock gal at Multigun nats. Wholly smoke!!!! I think she is one of Taran's students. Chime in AP3.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

This drill would be nice if it's safe BUT according IPSC rulebook you can't shoot steel closer than 50m.

Our national SRA (like 3gun) rules allow closest 20 m to shoot steel and that's pretty close I say.

If you use like 500 HARDOX plates that would be fine.

This drill would be nice if it's safe BUT according IPSC rulebook you can't shoot steel closer than 50m.

Our national SRA (like 3gun) rules allow closest 20 m to shoot steel and that's pretty close I say.

If you use like 500 HARDOX plates that would be fine.

I don't remember a rule book for IPSC as part of the drill, and since I have never heard of SRA I have no idea what you are talking about. If the steel at 25yards is a concern then use a paper target.

This thread is a discussion about a drill to pace yourself againist other competitors, not a discussion of how close you should or should not shoot steel.

Ok how about this, substitute a small pumpkin the size of a 10 inch plate instead of steel, so when you have left the range the local critters will have something to munch on.

This looks like an awesome drill. Lord knows I need the exercise!! This drill incorporates some of the shoot-n-move-n-shoot that makes practical 3-Gun fun and challenging. Physical conditioning as it relates to endurance and agility is a big part of my goals for the next year. One of the things I really like about this sport is that it's giving me tangible incentives to work on my physical condition.

That being said, the safety aspect is an issue. Like Benny, I've seen some nasty bounce back from rifle steel. In every case it involved steel that was unable to react or absorb the energy of the bullet strike either due to it's attachment or it's mass. I'm going to give it a try using some spring loaded 8" MGM auto-poppers (AC500). Still, I don't know if I'll engage the steel from the close boxes. Maybe I'll flank the steel with a couple of 1/2 size ipsc paper targets for the close positions. The USPSA Rifle Rules are based on a lot of experiance. I consider them a good rule of thumb for practice.

Good Stuff. Thanks for the drill.

Edited by Blockhead

The drill is whatever you want it to be. Like AP3 said use paper if need be. I use the drill to make me gain foot speed from point A to B and so on. A guy that is lighter and faster on his feet can make up some time on other competitors. Then the other plus is the marksmanship training. I have also changed up the drill to start in box and hit the target twice on the move before you enter each box. Not so much cardio but your legs get a workout trying to move like that and keep the rifle steady.

This drill is not the cure all for foot speed just an excersise. You still have to workout at the gym, ride your bike and run. First 2 weeks sucks but after that you have to have it. It's like a addiction I guess. Don't forget the right foods. Ap3 says that I eat like a machine but I also train like a machine. It has already started to pay off and can't to see what I can do next year. Good stuff.... And did I mention that you'll feel better day to day also.

Most of the time I shoot this one with .22 conversion kit. I can't afford to shoot .223 like that all the time. To many $$$$$$.

The idea is to lose wieght, shoot great... I have some other smoke your bag drills that I can post later.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I would love that!

Ok Topmaul and all here's a new one.

Start off with 5 boxes all at 50 yrds in a line. Target is centered on boxes. In front of boxes I use one target each for hard cover. Drill is six shots each box. 2 from the right side, 2 from the left side and 2 underneath the target between the two sticks. Kinda gives you the feeling of shooting thru a port. Getting down low and holding steady is what I have trouble with the most. Start from left or right side. Option #2 to the drill is reload at the end and bring it on back the other way.

This drill will build the legs and work on you gun transitions. I try and keep the hard cover close to the boxes as possible to teach me gun movement in tight quarters but you can mix it up anyway you want. Distance between boxes? Let's say 15 feet. If you have a bigger range you can stretch it out.

Now here's getting evil..... If you have a training partner put a no shoot on the back side of the steel plate. Each no shoot hit is 10 pushups at the end of the drill. Yeah a little military coming out now. Punishment for failure. Really brings home the accuracy part. Man I could play this game all day. Keeps it fun and competitive.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Since there seems to be an interest for aerobic 3 gun drills (Hey, it beats running on a treadmill) I came up with another drill to add to Chris's drills. This one is a multi-gun drill, and requires going prone in order to work on not only gun transition, but transition to different shooting platforms. The whole drill uses 3 paper targets.

The drill goes like this and for clarification see the sketch. aerobic_rifle___Shotgun.DOC

IPSC targets at 50 yards at least 10 yards apart. 3 boxes in a right angle triangle pattern with the front box at 35 yards from the target on the left side. Starting in the front box(Box1) shotgun at port arms loaded with 3 slugs. On signal engage 3 IPSC targets with one shot each with slugs. Ground empty shotgun, and retreat to rear box on far side(box2) and retrieve rifle.(that has been safely grounded pointing away toward the berm). Engage the 3 IPSC targets with 2 rounds each in the body. Move laterally to the other rearward box(box3) and engage the 3 ipsc targets again with 2 rounds each the body. Return to box 2 and reengae 3 IPSC from a prone position with 2 shots each to the head on each of the 3 targets. 2 push-ups for each miss, and 1 push-up for each shot otside of the "A" zone on all body shots.

The evil part: Black out all of the head shot except the A zone, and require target box 2 targets to be shot from kneeling, box 3 from around a barricade off hand, and then box 2 prone.

Edited by ap3