Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody work up HOT 10mm loads?

G-ManBart

Hey all,

I've been having some fun shooting my new 610-3 and have been really impressed. I bought some of the Cor-Bon Hunter 180gr bonded core soft point ammo that seems to be the hottest factory loading around...this is for hiking protection only and won't be a carry gun for "street" use. It really does have some pop to it and when I chrono'd it this weekend, I came up with an average around 1,180fps. That's pretty toasty, but below what Cor-Bon lists at 1,320 (I'm sure that's simply a function of the fairly short barrel on my 610 which has the fuax 4" on it). Has anybody loaded up anything similar? Anybody know what brand bullet Cor-Bon is using?

First I'd like to be able to roughly duplicate the ballistics of the factory stuff so I can practice with something similar....heck, even my wife liked shooting it with the full-house stuff and she's a tiny lil' thing! She's actually suggested that it replace her .357Mag as her bedside gun :surprise:

Second, I also figured that if the factory stuff is safe in an auto, a 610 ought to be able to handle quite a bit more and still be safe...anybody played around with this?

Boys and toys :rolleyes:

I know nothing about 10mm....but I cant resist the chance to rattle your cage :goof:

Get you a HE MAN 480 ruger or a 500 mr smith...those should be plenty toasty even stock :cheers:

Jim :D

LOL....well yes, boys and their toys is fitting, but at least the wifey approves of this one!

Yeah, I'd considered a 460 or 500 Smith, but then I'd add yet another caliber to load and I can always use .40 major in the 610 when I don't want to make the extra effort or expense of the 10mm stuff.

My load for my glock 20 is with 800X and a Hornady 200gr. XTP. I send it out at 1,275 fps out of my factory barrel. I am at work and don't have the load so I won't quote it from memory.

With the revolver you can seat the bullets out further and get some more case capacity. One thing you will need o watch is your crimp.

Neal in AZ

• 1 month later...
Try here 10MM reloading Page, McNett from Doubletap ammo post recipes here. I prefer using Longshot powder. You might be using 800X to get the velocity you want. Look around the site the recipes are broken down by power manufacturer.

That link doesn't work. Can you post an updated link? I'm very interested in seeing that info.

Bart, this is one of the VERY few times I will recommend a Lee Factory crimp die. It will actually smash a cannelure in the bullet without bulging the brass. I will look around and see if I still have one......

Longshot with 135's, Power Pistol with 155-165's and 800X with 180 and up. Those are your 'power' powders. 4756 will do a good job with the mid-weights too if you have a can of it laying around, as will HS-6 and 7.

As I step into the "wayback machine" when I used to own a Glock,I remember that I used to shoot a 180g Rainier TC,mixed brass,WLP,and 10g of Blue Dot .Made for a pretty snorty load out of a G20.Don't remember what it chronographed at.

Scott

• 4 years later...

Using Longshot in a stock G20 with Nosler 180s, 9.0 made 1265 - but the Buffalo Bore fodder beat that by almost 100 fps! Handload brass looked fine with no alarming bulge but I'm leery of reusing the BB brass for full throttle apps.

Mark

With that short a barrel, I don't know if you're going to get much more without pushing the pressure limits. Hogdgon lists "180 GR. SIE JHC with Winchester AutoComp at an OAL of 1.250" as from 7.0 grains @ 1119fps and 29,800psi to 7.7grains @ 1199fps and 36,000psi". Longshot may be too slow for that length barrel. If you're talking more chamber pressure, then you're beyond my pay grade, sorry.

What flavor G-man are you if it's not an impertinent question? Ours had Katrina victims following us and asking for what was advertised on our jackets.

Good luck in your experiments.

I chrono tested DT's 200gr WFNGC. It was advertised as 1300fps in a 4.6" barrel, but only made 1215fps in my 6" barrel. It's still a decent load, but needless to say I was EXTREMELY disappointed.

Buffalo Bore makes great ammo, but at $3 per round, I'm out.

Underwood also makes great ammo, super hot, has great customer service & is reasonably priced.

Did you chrono that CorBon load? Most factory 10mm offerings boast highly inflated velocities.

I like a 180gr bullet over 9.2gr Longshot for my standard 10mm load, but you can safely shove another 1gr+ in there for some super duper goodness. I have a handload for a 200gr WFNGC using 800X that averages 1360fps in my 6" barrel, which is crazy power for 10mm. That load is over max. The only problem with 800X, is that it meters like corn flakes, so I had to individually hand weigh each charge. For the 180's, you can't beat Longshot for velocity, accuracy & consistency. It will also send the 200's screaming, but you have to load over published max to get way up there.

MEAT - any data for 200 WNFP (no gascheck) with Longshot, specifically for a stock Glock 20? I was just about to assemble some test loads when I read your post!

I don't even want to know how you made a 200 FN lead go 1360 .. I frighten easily.

Mark

MEAT - any data for 200 WNFP (no gascheck) with Longshot, specifically for a stock Glock 20? I was just about to assemble some test loads when I read your post!

I don't even want to know how you made a 200 FN lead go 1360 .. I frighten easily.

Mark

Here's all my data for LS with the 200's, but I know some guys that are stuffing another full gr of LS in their 200gr JHP loads.

Hodgdon Longshot

DT 200gr WFNGC

Starline Brass

CCI300 Primers

1.255 OAL

6" LWD Barrel

Wolff 22# Spring

88* F, Sea Level

8.0gr:

Average: 1230

ES: 32

8.2gr:

Average: 1247

ES: 6

8.4gr:

Average: 1244

ES: 45

I am really happy with the consistency of the 8.2gr load, which is Hodgdon's listed max. I have 2k WLP's on the way, and I may pick up some CCI350's to see if that will help kick up my velocities. With a 1247fps average for a 200gr bullet, there's nothing really to complain about. But as always, I want more...

I am pretty happy that 8.2gr of Longshot load beats DT's factory loaded 200gr WFNGC's out of my gun. Here's what DT's ammo did out of my G20L the same day:

1199, 1220, 1173, 1227, 1216

Average: 1207

ES: 54

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's some more Longshot data, this time with Mag Primers.

Hodgdon Longshot

DT 200gr WFNGC

Starline Brass

CCI350 Primers

1.26" OAL

6" LWD Barrel

Wolff 22# Spring

85* F, Sea Level

8.0gr Longshot/CCI350:

Ave: 1240

ES: 17

8.2gr Longshot/CCI350

Ave: 1249

ES: 33

8.4gr Longshot/CCI350

Ave: 1264

ES: 42

Primers are starting to look a little more flat, but I think there's still plenty of room to grow. I'm still hoping I can average 1300fps with the 200gr WFNGC's out of my G20L with good precision.

Thank you, kind sir!

Getting a 200 close to 1200 is all I'm going to ask of this rig - it's my "summertime in the Northern Rockies" walkabout, more than anything else.

Cheers!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...