Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI rear sight

Josh Biondi

i broke mine last week! before the screw it was the pin at the front of the sight. I got a set of Bomar brand sites. they say those are best that you can get and last the longest! hopefully they will. Haha i shot the last 3 targets on that stage with the rear sight bouncing up and down. sure is hard to get a sight picture when ur sight moves up and down haha..

Before you start drilling, you may be able to use a sharp probe to turn the screw out. Putting Kroil or Liquid Wrench on the screw may help it turn more freely.

I've never broken an elevation screw (knock on cheap, Chinese imported pot metal). I try to keep my adjustable sights set in the lower 1/2 to 1/3 of their travel. That will reduce cantilever stress on the screw. If you have a tall front sight, you can file it down and lower the rear sight a corresponding amount.

I solved it by having a gunsmith weld up the dovetail and recut the slide for a Heinie fixed sight. Solved it with the next gun by starting with fixed sights in the first place.

Me too have think to use a fixed rear sight but here (Italy) its too difficult to find a gunsmith able to recut the slide.........

i broke mine last week! before the screw it was the pin at the front of the sight. I got a set of Bomar brand sites. they say those are best that you can get and last the longest! hopefully they will. Haha i shot the last 3 targets on that stage with the rear sight bouncing up and down. sure is hard to get a sight picture when ur sight moves up and down haha..

Of course..........!!!!!!!

i can undestand what feeling gives to shoot with the sight moving up and down.... :surprise:

Before you start drilling, you may be able to use a sharp probe to turn the screw out. Putting Kroil or Liquid Wrench on the screw may help it turn more freely.

I've never broken an elevation screw (knock on cheap, Chinese imported pot metal). I try to keep my adjustable sights set in the lower 1/2 to 1/3 of their travel. That will reduce cantilever stress on the screw. If you have a tall front sight, you can file it down and lower the rear sight a corresponding amount.

I have unscrew the screw from the frame...... with a lot of perspiration and curses!!!!!!!

Your solution is good way but I have a DP front sight .180" and i dont wanna to file the sight down.......

You might see if Brazos has a shorter sight that will work.

Also, you might consider replacing the spring underneath the leaf or trying to double it up. If the spring's weak, it could allow the blade to bounce against the screw during recoil and hammer it until it breaks.

You might see if Brazos has a shorter sight that will work.

Also, you might consider replacing the spring underneath the leaf or trying to double it up. If the spring's weak, it could allow the blade to bounce against the screw during recoil and hammer it until it breaks.

Thanks for the input..... but the spring is ok also if I was thinking to solder the sight after I set it......

I know that Dawson makes different height for their front sights.

There are some for adjustable rear sights and some for fixed rear sights.

Check out Dawson's page, maybe you'll find what you're looking for.

Dawson front sights

Thanks Julien, but the point is not to change the front sight but find a rear sight that fit the original slide cut.....

Who knows if Novak fits in it? <_<

• 2 weeks later...
A Bomar will fit perfectly in lieu of the original STI.

Ok...stupid question time. I've got a STI Edge and assuming the site falls appart some day and I want to replace it with a Bomar....I presume I get a BMCS...and everything lines up as in literally drops in?

Edited by SteveZ

• 3 weeks later...

After mine broke, I went with a Bomar.

For a quick fix. I used some kroil, and turned the old screw out. I placed a #60 rubber washer under the screw, (i had an extra STI screw) and didn't have any problems. You may have to thin the rubber washer a bit.