Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Recoil Springs

MichiganShootist

I just bought a very clean 34 that I plan on using in USPSA and IDPA next season.

The gun has a Novak Stainless recoil rod. My only experience with Glocks has been using factory recoil springs. I will be shooting only 115 grain Winchester White box ammo since at this point I"m only reloading .45 ACP right now..... With this ammo and recoil rod what weight recoil spring would you "Glocksters" suggest???

Thanks

I like the lighter recoil springs, but lighter than 13 lbs and I started having issues with the trigger pull taking it out of battery.

My 34 runs fine with an 11#. Glocks can become finicky when you start lightening the recoil spring because the trigger can pull the slide out of battery. I've seen some Glocks not run with a 13#. Just depends on the gun and what striker spring and how tight your slide to frame fit is. My gun has a gunsmith fit barrel that locks up tight and a tightened slide. It stays in battery better but I also have a backup 34 that has a factory barrel and factory fit slide that runs an 11# fine. You really just have to try it and see if it runs. I like the way the gun tracks better with the lighter spring combined with the Atlanta Arms 147 match ammo. Like JoeD said.......springs are cheap......buy and try a few.

To answer the original question of what I would suggest.......ge the 13# ISMI flat wire spring and run with it. That is more than sufficient for WWB and it tracks well and there is a 98% chance it will run fine in your gun.

What I did was buy both Wolff and ISMI springs in various poundage...I tried them all until I found one that worked best for my setup.

Turns out my pistol likes the stock ISMI, which I am using with a Novak extended guide rod in SS. I might cut one coil later on, but it seems to run fine as it is. YMMV!

I just bought a very clean 34 that I plan on using in USPSA and IDPA next season.

The gun has a Novak Stainless recoil rod. My only experience with Glocks has been using factory recoil springs. I will be shooting only 115 grain Winchester White box ammo since at this point I"m only reloading .45 ACP right now..... With this ammo and recoil rod what weight recoil spring would you "Glocksters" suggest???

Thanks

I believe if you use the stainless guide rod you would have to shoot in ESP not SSP for IDPA. If that's any consideration.