Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold .223

Merlin Orr

How do the Montana Gold .223 bullets shoot?

Comments?

I just loaded 2,000 MG .223 55gr and found them to shoot very well. I have an old Pre-Ban CAR-15 11.5" bbl with 4.5" flash supressor that I shot them with. Groups were as good or better than the Hornady FMJ-BT's I used to load. Weights were very consistent. Considering that the trigger group is stock GI, and the barrel short, I was real happy with !/2" groups at 25 Yards (indoor range).

What is the material in the Jacket?

I understood that the pistol bullets were brass rather than the traditional copper jacket.

Is the same true for the rifle bullets?

Tls

The ones I got sure looked the same and based on a simple "scratch test" they seem to be of the same material.

The same as traditional copper or the same as their other bullets ?

My question exactly, and now the hijack begins: :ph34r:

If the jacket is brass vs. copper, what harm comes from shooting one over the other? mixing rounds shot without cleaning in between? Which fouling is harder to clean? Which shortens barrel life?

I figure you have all the answers Merlin, so I'll ask you.

Larry White called MG and questioned them about this when the bullets first became generally available. Perhaps Larry will post on this as he is the one with the first hand knowledge..... Maybe a shooter who uses them (Montana Gold) will comment on the cleaning issue. I know squat about the differences between the two bullet jackets other than brass is generally harder than copper.....I also know a barrel shooting lead will last longer than one shooting jacketed bullets. I assume this is because the softer bullet material does not wear the barrel steel as quickly as a harder jacketed bullet does. If there is a correlation I would expect the harder the jacket the less life you would get from the barrel. I don't know if the hardness of the MG .223 bullets is any different or greater than any other (copper) jacketed bullet.

Interesting..

Larry White called MG and questioned them about this when the bullets first became generally available. Perhaps Larry will post on this as he is the one with the first hand knowledge..... Maybe a shooter who uses them (Montana Gold) will comment on the cleaning issue. I know squat about the differences between the two bullet jackets other than brass is generally harder than copper.....I also know a barrel shooting lead will last longer than one shooting jacketed bullets. I assume this is because the softer bullet material does not wear the barrel steel as quickly as a harder jacketed bullet does. If there is a correlation I would expect the harder the jacket the less life you would get from the barrel. I don't know if the hardness of the MG .223 bullets is any different or greater than any other (copper) jacketed bullet.

Interesting

Jacketed bullets wear the bbl faster because the base of the projectile does not completely fill the grooves in the bbl and the gasses blow by and erode the bbl...lead fills the grooves better..

In pistols, the barrels wear out because of abrasion between the bullet and the bore. In rifles, barrels wear out because the gasses are eroding the barrel from the throat forward. I wouldn't worry too much about the jacket material in rifles. There's a TON of people using MG locally with no concerns or issues about barrel life.

I did call MG and was told that the alloy was changed for the rifle bullets ( still brass ). However I have taken several naps after I talked with them and all I really recall was that it changed the color of the bullets to a pinkish hue ( more zink, maybe). She did say they had done a lot of testing and found no issues. Pink bullets for a sissy rifle, sounds about right. I havent recieved the sample pack I asked for but based on the MG pistol bullets I have used I will probaly use some.---------Larry

Edited by lkytx

oooooo Pink bullets..to match my Pink AR :rolleyes:

Jim

Montana Pink ???

I used MG bullets extensively in my pistols without any issues.

It is well known that MG uses brass which is harder that the traditional copper jacket.

Theoretically, this would put more wear on a barrel.

The benefit is that the brass is supposed to get a better bite on the rifling in the barrel and the result is better accuracy.

I wasn't worried about wear in the pistols.

After all, rebarreling a pistol after many thousands of rounds is not that big a deal.

Taking a chance for premature wear on the barrel of a competition rifle may bear a little more scrutiny.

Tony

Edited by 38superman