Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nike Maxsight Contacts

Calamity Jane

I just don't see the application for shooting. Why wear contacts AND glasses rather than just getting glasses with interchangeable lenses (oakley, rudy p, decot, etc). I think that is why there is limited info.

Good luck, Craig

A product that may help you see clearer, sharper, with less glare I think does have an application to shooting. I wear contacts with safety glasses anyway....why not wear contacts that may make me see better?

So no worries people...I'm going to find out about these contacts, try them out and then report back.

Try 'em out and see. What bugged me about trying them is that they're standard soft lenses, which are not as sharp for me as the silicone hydrogels that I'm wearing. Further, I have to take supplies with me to swap out the lenses later, say if I got to a restaurant after the match, or something, or if the day gets more overcast than those lenses will allow for and I need something brighter.

From viewing the literature, the advantages you mention seem to come from the colors used in the lenses, and their ability to block blues and such from the spectrum (cuts the glare, makes things appear clearer). The orange-ish colored ones are similar in color (and application) to the VR28 lens I'm using in my Oakleys. I use a Persimmon lens when its really overcast, or a clear lens if it gets real dark. I don't have those options with colored contacts.

And, the limits of the technology mean they won't be as sharp for me....

So, no need for me to try something that I already know will result in inferior vision relative to my current solution....

Now... ask me why I'm considering having an Rx Oakley VR28 lens made.... :o

Dave you sound like an old man who doesn't want to try anything new. :huh:

Therefore, I must play the role of rebellious teenager and not listen to you. :devil: I must go out there and find out for myself.

Ofcourse...you know how this story goes.....I'll probably be uttering the words "You were right" very soon. :bow:

Eye doctor appointment tomorrow. Objectives: discuss Maxsight contacts, discuss silicone hydrogels

OK I've got the Maxsight contacts in right now. It's not like what I thought it would be like. I had the perception that these contacts were sun glasses for your eyes. They are not like that. I've got the orange in and I assumed I would see a brown/orange glow BUT it's not like that. It's more of like looking through the yellow tinted shooting glasses but not quite as yellow as those are. Greens and reds really "pop". I guess these are designed to give you sharp contrast and I can say that I think they do. I took my gun outside and held it up and the red dot on my sight was quite sharp in contrast. I went into the dark basement and surprisingly I could see quite well in poor light. So the concept that on cloudy days you would want to change to normal contacts may not be true. No worries...I'm going to do some more testing to get to the bottom of this!

I'm going to Ohio this weekend to shoot the sectional. I'm considering wearing these contacts. My son said, "You're going to change something before a big match!!" Yeah..I think I am. Because Ohio is not Nationals! No offense Flex. The worse thing that could happen is that I would change back to my regular contacts.

Right now...I think I like what I'm seeing.

Oh yeah..I do look demon possessed. Just think of the intimidation factor I could get out of these babies. The possibilites are endless. :D

Something HILARIOUS just happened :lol: I've been wearing these contacts around this afternoon trying to see if I like them. I needed to run up to the local grocery store for some supplies for tonights dinner...so I kept them in and went to the store. The teenager behind the meat counter says (after staring for quite some time) "Am I on acid or are your eyes orange?" It was hilarious. I'm freak'in out the teens!

OK so then I go to check out. A girl around the age of 13 starts to stare at me. I smile. As she leaves, she knocks down the candy display because she is looking over her shoulder AT ME!!! Tell me that's not funny. :lol:

I AM SO WEARING THESE CONTACTS THIS WEEKEND TO SHOOT! It's incredible what I'm seeing!!!!!! Amazing sharp contrast with no glare!

BritinUSA...I'm working on a picture. ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

OK here is another advantage I just discovered. I went out to the very bright sunlight...no hat and I didn't even need to squint. Because my eye is totally covered with protection.

So here is the advantage...at Nationals there is a prone stage. I'll be taking my hat off for that one. I'm going to be able to see GREAT with hat off. On humid days when the shooting glasses fog because you are wearing a hat...NO MORE. I won't need to wear a hat anymore for glare.

NAH GUYS...these contacts don't have a place in shooting!

I have a pair of the orange ones also which I wear for softball, it does work amazingly well for toning down bright lights. It's really nice because when you see the ball go up into the sun or lights you can pick it right back up on the other side. I also enjoy the looks that I receive from other people when I wear them. You should really try driving at night with them in. All of the headlights look like really dim yellow foglights, even when other drivers don't dim their bights :)

I haven't tried them for shooting as my eyesight isn't that terrible. Just that things are a little fuzzy at long distances (outfield to home plate). When I wear my contacts for shooting my eyes dry out and i have problems seeing the front site really clearly.

So that's all I know about them :)

On a side note with the contacts in I dislocated my finger playing softball and when I got to the hospital they really hurried me in after all the nurses were worried about my eyes. :)

Whats the price on them? I can't wear them for shooting since I only wear one contact in my left eye, but I can use them for other outdoor sports.

IIRC, they make them with 0.00 diopter correction, as well, so you could slip an uncorrected lens into your right eye for shooting, and still get the same tint...

Jane, for the record, I never said they wouldn't work :lol: I said I had a solution that I already knew would work better for me :) I know this because of the material those contacts are made out of, and how contacts made from that material work in my eye - I don't see as sharp with them. That's all... :D

I really saw well today! I didn't execute and shoot well...but my VISION was great! For me...I think I like these contacts very much and I'm going to wear them at Tulsa.

Seeing is everything in shooting and we all have to find what works best for us. I think I've stumbled on to something that may work well for me. :D

As far as cost...I'm not sure what a box of these babies will cost. I was charged a $70 fitting fee and then given a free sample pair which can last up to one month of use.

When I got them it cost me $65.00 for them, that was counting the trial pair and the box of them, the problem is that I only needed 2 pairs total but w/ the box and the trail pair i have 4 sets of them which will last me forever. Otherwise I think it was a pretty good deal.

OK I've thought of another advantage.

I bought some Rudy Project shooting glasses 2 years ago. I have really tried hard to take care of them and keep them from scratches. However, no matter how hard you try...glasses are going to get scratched. My contact lenses are not at risk for scratching. Sure the clear plastic shooting glasses I have to wear may scratch, but those can be easily and cheaply be replaced.

I did some testing tonight with my "evil eyes". I shot prone at 50 yards at dusk with the target and me all in the shade. I had 2 misses related to trigger pull, 2 alpha and 4 charlie. I could still see well at dusk in the shade at 50.

• 4 months later...