Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with S&W 686 w/adjustable front sight.

Cuz

Hello,

I have an older (1991 maybe) S&W 686 with an adjustable front sight. Does anyone know if there is a replacement fibre optic front site that will work for this model? There is no dovetail, the front site is a big contraption that allows for four different height adjustments. I just dug it out of my safe to start using after many years and now it's my only gun without a fibre optic front site and I can't shoot it for crap. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Cuz.

Hey Cuz, I know of the sight you are talking about. It was designed for PPC use. Four different yardage settings for PPC. I also have one of these. I think the only option you have is, send it to SDM and have a sight base installed or replace the barrel with a traditional front sight. I chose to replace the barrel. Good Luck, John

Another option is to get a Weigand base installed. The way I understand it, you mill the front sight off and install the new base. You can then interchange front sights similar to the current front sights on the new SWs.....

Or you can drill the current sight for fiber and make your own with the existing front sight......I have done that with a couple myself.....

Good Luck,

DougC

Another option is to get a Weigand base installed. The way I understand it, you mill the front sight off and install the new base. You can then interchange front sights similar to the current front sights on the new SWs.....

Or you can drill the current sight for fiber and make your own with the existing front sight......I have done that with a couple myself.....

Good Luck,

DougC

The front sight Cuz is talking about is a 4 position PPC sight, The front of the barrel were the sight sits is already milled down below the top rib of the barrel. I believe the sight is mounted by screws. ( I never took mine off ) BTW: these were done by S&W for a few models.

There are 2 options here.

1. Remove the front sight base, have an insert made to replace it and install a Weigand type ramp and the the FO blade.

2. Replace the barrel and install the FO blade.

Either one will not be cheap and the value of the gun will not increase.

Edited by RePete

The front sight Cuz is talking about is a 4 position PPC sight, The front of the barrel were the sight sits is already milled down below the top rib of the barrel. I believe the sight is mounted by screws. ( I never took mine off ) BTW: these were done by S&W for a few models.

I think it may be pinned down, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a huge block of metal. I would hate to replace it with something the didn't look good. I definitely didn't want to have to replace the barrel either. I had one of my sights drilled out for a fibre and it came out awful. I won't go there again. I was actually hoping to replace the whole top part that moves up and down with one that had a fibre in it. That would have been easiest to do. Does anyone know who actually made that site? I guess I'll have to call S&W on Monday to get more info.

-Cuz.

You could try to sell it.A S&W collector would go nuts over it .

Now there's a theory. That would help fund a nice new 627. Of course, that would mean I'd have to clean the gun. Haven't done that in years. That's why I always try to buy stainless guns. You know, this may actually be the way to go except that I really love the action work that Clark Custom did way back in 1994. Still feels smooth as glass.

Thanks for the thought though. For some reason selling a gun never enters my mind.

-Cuz.

You could try to sell it.A S&W collector would go nuts over it .

Now there's a theory. That would help fund a nice new 627. Of course, that would mean I'd have to clean the gun. Haven't done that in years. That's why I always try to buy stainless guns. You know, this may actually be the way to go except that I really love the action work that Clark Custom did way back in 1994. Still feels smooth as glass.

Thanks for the thought though. For some reason selling a gun never enters my mind.

-Cuz.

We need to talk :)

For now, how about a gunsmith using the existing sight and cutting it, drilling it, and installing the fiber rod??

We need to talk :)

For now, how about a gunsmith using the existing sight and cutting it, drilling it, and installing the fiber rod??

RGS,

I'm always interested in hearing any ideas you may have. I've already had the local gunsmith butcher the front sights on two of my guns by drilling a hole and inserting fibre. I don't think I'd want to ruin this site that way.

-Cuz.

Remove the front sight insert, the part that goes up and down with the acutal front sight on it, take it to your smith and have him dovetail it for a 1911 fiber optic sight of your choice and then re-insert it in your gun. If your not sure it will work or if theirs enough room for the dovtail order a new one and try it on that not your factory part.

Greg

Those in good shape interest some collectors. I may try that route.

"Good shape" is a difficult term. Mine's in excellent shooting shape as I've had Clarks Custom go thru it and do a bunch of stuff back quite a few years ago. A collector may consider it "modified". I took it out to a local plate match today and actually kicked butt with it. Now I'm liking it all over again. I don't know, selling guns never seems to work out for me.

-Cuz.