Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to shoot IDPA. Which class will I be in?

rr4406pak

Hello all,

Thinking about shooting IDPA for my first time.

I have a Colt MKIV polished stainless 1911 Government model in .45 ACP.

It is totally stock with absolutely ZERO modifications.

Which class do I shoot in with this gun?

Thanks in advance! :)

OK, thanks.

Next questions:

1. Can I be competitive (locally) with this gun in CDP?

2. What modifications are allowed to the 1911 in the CDP classification?

3. Which models and calibers dominate CDP?

3. I have a stock Glock 29 as well. Would this put me in the CDP class as well?

Thanks again for putting up with newb questions...

The best way to find the answers to your rules questions is to go to the IDPA web site and download the rule book. Familiarising yourself with the rules will make your first match less confusing. Yes you can be competitive with your gun, if you shoot it well! You will probably find plenty of help getting started at your local club, we try to make the new guy's feel welcome. Go shoot remember to be safe and have fun.

Robin

1. Yes, if you can see the shiny sights.

2. Easier to say what is NOT allowed. No compensators or barrel ports, no bull barrel, no increase in diameter of magazine catch (a little taller is ok), no aperture or optical sights, nothing to make it weigh over 41 oz but nothing to reduce the weight of the slide, either.

You will see mostly fibre optic sights, beavertail grip safeties, and magazine well funnels as the main modifications to 1911s.

3. CDP must be a .45 ACP. 1911s predominate but we have one guy trying to make a S&W Plastic M&P .45 serve all automatic Divisions; and I shot a H&K USP for a short time but went back to 1911.

4. Glock 29 is a 10mm and is not allowed in CDP. You could shoot it in Stock Service Pistol or Enhanced Service Pistol.

Yes, so long as the new addition doesn't put you over the weight limit associated with CDP. Lots of people use them, so I doubt it adds too much weight.

mattk

...and gun with empty magazine fit the IDPA box. Your basic S&A style magwells fit the box.

As Jim mentioned, the G29 would fall into either SSP or ESP. You'd be better off shooting SSP if it's stock.

We have one guy who shoots a 10mm compact with us sometimes. He can't afford to shoot the snot out of it given the cost of factory ammo, so that's his official excuse for staying down there in Novice and not advancing, if you know what I mean. And given that you'll be competing against 9mm guns that actually weigh MORE than your gun (G34s) it would be very tough to be competitive with that much recoil.

He never has any trouble dropping pepper poppers, though. :D

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, how can I find a place that is running a classifier in IDPA anyways?

Website lists participating clubs but not when they offer classifiers.

Is it only one time a year typically?

• 2 months later...
Say I shoot the classifier and I get ranked as Marksman, Sharpshooter, etc..

Do they just write it on my card what I'm ranked at?

How's it work?

Thanks.

Yup, that's how it works. If you decide to shoot a major match, you'll have to have a classifier within a year of the match. At local matches, nobody really cares. :)

Welcome to IDPA!

Your local club's contact should also register your Classifier score on the IDPA HQ website. Many sanctioned matches check the HQ website when contestants register rather than rely on cards.

Whether or not you're competitive, and at what level, is ultimately up to you. People shoot IDPA for a variety of good reasons.

The CDP division was designed around the 1911 in 45 ACP, so you are at no equipment disadvantage to start. Many people are very competitive with other 45 ACP designs, but a skilled shooter with a reliable 1911 is something to see.

Pick a caliber and design you are comfortable with physically and financially. Shoot it often with a specific goal in mind, learn the rules of the game and enjoy yourself. My observations and experience have been that by the time the gun really matters, it doesn't matter much.

Again - welcome to IDPA and best of luck

Craig

Edited by Bones