Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who else manufactures a micrometer adjustable seating die

For those calibers and unless you are planning to shoot Benchrest Rifle Matches, the Redding is the way to go.

But if you just got to multiply the price several times,, an outfit called Custom Products makes such a die or you could use a LE Wilson hand die with a Sinclair micrometer added.

But to go that way is really going to cost you. But really, this is for the Benchrest world.

Hello: Hornady make a micrometer adjustable seating die. It has a collar that extends out to help guide the bullet sooner. I don't know if it works any better(haven't tried it yet) but it does cost half as much. I have the Redding and the Hornady to try out, then I will decide which one is better. Mine are for 40 S&W loading. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I like the Hornady seating dies, and even if you add the micrometer accessory it is still cheaper than the Redding. The Hornady has the in-line guide, so I'm not sure if the Redding has anything else to offer besides the high price.

I'm going to get at least 2 of the Hornady micrometer units for my major and minor .40 setups just because I'm getting lazy and the "cool" factor may be nice. In reality they will save me 2 minutes at most compared to the normal way.

• 1 month later...
I like the Hornady seating dies, and even if you add the micrometer accessory it is still cheaper than the Redding. The Hornady has the in-line guide, so I'm not sure if the Redding has anything else to offer besides the high price.

I'm going to get at least 2 of the Hornady micrometer units for my major and minor .40 setups just because I'm getting lazy and the "cool" factor may be nice. In reality they will save me 2 minutes at most compared to the normal way.

++1 The Hornady seating die is VERY nice.

Bronson7

• 1 month later...

I own almost all brands, but I prefer Forster.

The patent held by Forster has now expired, and Redding is now making a sliding sleeve. I think Redding is just as good and easier to read the micrometer, but I am used to getting custom work done by Forster.

Edited by Clark

++1 The Hornady seating die is VERY nice.

Bronson7

+ + +!1 on Hornady I can unscrew the Micro head from my Rifle dies and use them on my pistole dies = I only have to have one but I have two of the Micro heads. the collar that drops down is great with-out a spring.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wanting to buy the Redding set for .308 I am having a hard time keeping runnout consistent at 1 to 2 thou with the RCBS dies, I can get lucky on a box of 20 and have about half with 2 thou runnout and the rest are up there around 5 thou! and the C.O.A.L is inconsistant, even if I measure from the Ogive.. but what can I say, I am using $40.00 dies... Are the Hornady dies as good as the Redding?? The only thing I've heard about them is: "the only difference is the visibility of the notches" Should I buck up and get the Redding set w/S bushings? or just get the Hornady dies? I want to get the Redding set!!! But is it worth it?? Jeff