Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

found at swap meet piece of history from 1913

GentlemanJim

PICT0007latheres1.jpg

PICT0008latheres2.jpg

I found this little lathe at a swap meet a while back, I seem to be tripping over it way too much.

So today I started tearing it down...and will restore it to like new condition.

It was built in New York in about 1913 was flat belt driven, and has babbit bearings.

It has been outdoors for who knows how many years..and is rusted solid nothing moves nothing turns.

It will be a nice tool to use for small jobs and some gunsmithing.

I find little projects like this help keep me calm and buisy...which seem to improve my attitude and my shooting

And I realy like mechanical things from the early 1900s :wub:

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

I think it looks GREAT! It is funny to me how much of that machine is recognizable from today's manual machines; sometimes the original mousetrap is still the best.

Babbit bearings might be replaced with roller bearings I take it?

Jim, for words of encouragement for other DIY machinists and all the links you will need, take a look at the tools section of www.roderuscustom.tzo.com in the home machining section.

Congrats!

Well 16 hours into this.

total disassembly,strip all parts,bead blast all parts,repair broken parts(mostly brasing)

make two new oilite bronze bushings one new acme thread bronze nut.

polish spindle bearing surfaces and resurface babbit inserts, repair compound rest .

clean repair and repaint all gears and control handles and all shafts and bushings.

all the major components of this lathe are now fully operational....Yippie :cheers:

Bummer....I have to wait until saturday to get hammer finish machine paint <_<

I did have fun...cant wait to finish it up and reassemble.

Jim

PICT0001latheresiz.jpg

PICT0002lathres.jpg

Outstanding!

What sort of gun could be built using a 1913 machine such as the lathe above or a 1913 era milling machine?

-a 1903 Springfield or a 1898 Mauser

-a German Luger or Broomhandle

-several different models of belt fed heavy machinegun fielded by all sides in the great war (WW I - though not so great IMHO).

-a Colt model 1911

Think about it folks: all those guns were bult on manual metalworking machines using blueprints and machining talent.

Nice work Jim!

Edited by Carlos

The old stuff is cool isnt it!

My BIG lathe came from a USA arsenal, built in 1919.

It was most likely used for cannon parts..it has a 12 foot bed and 18" swing.

It was used through WW2 and into the early 1950s...then given to the job corps....it came to Mountainair with them in about 52.

The job corps had no use for it or any of the other machines sent to them...so this equipment spent decades in storage.

At auction, about 20 years ago a friend purchased them....then I got the 1919 from him.

I use it most every day...and its still holding to a few thou.

I have built several 50BMG rifles on it :rolleyes:

Jim

What could JMB make with all of the col stuff we have today?

I can't remember where I ran across images of his shop in Utah (?) in the late 1800's, and everything was pulley driven that I could see.

Congrats on your nice work Jim!

FM

Hello: My lathe came from the Canadian arsenals after WW2. My dad bought it at auction still unused. It is a Monarch with a 14" swing and 32" between centers. It is a workhorse. My mill is a Bridgport. It is the original "M" head and has a slotting attachment. I would like to get an old CNC machine and redo it. The older machines are way better built with there cast iron parts and no plastic. Have fun with your project. Thanks, Eric

Howard

I will use a 1/2 hp 110v motor.

Most of this old stuff was driven with leather flat belt from overhead shafts...all the machines in a shop would take power from one power plant.

Usually a huge single cylinder water boiling engine.

Flat belt pulleys are convex and will hold a modern v belt on center.

Its all apart and ready for paint tommorrow :rolleyes:

Later I will build a table for it...but this will be as far as I go for now.

Thanks for the interest!! I will post a pic when it is back together.

Jim

Jim, I used to go to some customers in Milwuakee that still had all the transmission gear in the overhead for the flat leather belts. A BIG shaft every 40 feet or so that ran the lenght of the building, big big BIG belts to take it up to the next floor and so on. Was kind of neat to see that stuff, late 1800's and early 1900's. Would have been neat to see an 8 or 9 story factory at full speed running that stuff, neat or scary.......

Howard,

By today's standards the belt driven stuff is just plain scary. They used to change speeds while everything was running, just slap the belt to the next pulley. That's why machinists of that age often didn't have 10 digits on their hands.

Jim, my friend.....no one lungers here in the land that Nanci is from.....water was the driving force! Yeh, yeh....you're from the desert....What's Water???? LOL Have fun with the latest toy.

P.S. Why aren't you loading ammo???

res1.jpg

PICT0002res2.jpg

Well its done :cheers:

Everything works just as it should! painted in hammer finish silver.

The tool post is missing...if I can find one...if not I will make a new one.

It was sure fun doing this project..got my mind buisy for a few days :D

now I quess its back to all the things I should be doing :(

Jim