Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preference: Plated vs Moly?

burntcrispy

I'm new to reloading and am ready to order some projectiles online. I've noticed that the plated and moly coated bullets are similiarly priced. Which do you guys prefer and why? (I will be using these with Clays powder for IPSC and IDPA)

Thanks for the info.

master blaster moly, 10% less powder with same length to make the same PF. Like everyone else has said, less worry about crimp. MB are alot cheper than Precision Bullets, oh and mb comes in 30cal ammo cans to protect bullets in shipping. lol

Should work fine.

I usually load the Precision flat nose at 1.225 rather than 1.250 as you stated. You may have some feeding issues at that length with the flat nose.

Also if your loading to meet PF you could back that load way down. Scratch that. :)

Edited by unclez

Should work fine.

I usually load the Precision flat nose at 1.225 rather than 1.250 as you stated. You may have some feeding issues at that length with the flat nose.

Also if your loading to meet PF you could back that load way down. :)

Thanks. I'm trying to meet power factor with a lighter load. Is there much of a difference between round nose and flat nose?

Should work fine.

Also if your loading to meet PF you could back that load way down. :)

Thanks. I'm trying to meet power factor with a lighter load. Is there much of a difference between round nose and flat nose?

If I'm not mistaken, Precision doesn't make a .45 RN.

The only issue I can think of would be feeding which none of the firearms I have used the FN in has had any issues with them. The Precisions are actually a round nose with a flat point which should allow them to feed similar to that of a standard RN.

Hope that helps. :)

You're right Unclez. I didn't realize that they were flat point but these are the bullets I'm planning on buying. Do you load yours with less than 4 grains of Clays? I'm looking to make PF for Lim 10 and Single stack.

You're right Unclez. I didn't realize that they were flat point but these are the bullets I'm planning on buying. Do you load yours with less than 4 grains of Clays? I'm looking to make PF for Lim 10 and Single stack.

The Precisions are great bullets.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said you could back that load down above. 4.0 should be a good starting point to get PF although I have heard some have to bump to 4.1 or 4.2 (at your own risk). I don't use Clays for making PF. I usually just use Titegroup.

Editing my post above for correction.

The Precisions are great bullets.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said you could back that load down above. 4.0 should be a good starting point to get PF although I have heard some have to bump to 4.1 or 4.2 (at your own risk). I don't use Clays for making PF. I usually just use Titegroup.

Editing my post above for correction.

I only needed 3.8 to make PF with 230 precisions and clays at 1.230ish out of a springer 1911.

I only needed 3.8 to make PF with 230 precisions and clays at 1.230ish out of a springer 1911.

Me too, out of my Kimber. Seat them a little lower (book recommends 1.20" I do 1.22") and crimp them a little tighter and you'll burn cleaner and edge over the PF minimum.