Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification not Always Indicitive of Skill Level

JThompson

Recently, I have been informed that not all classifiers are based on actual scores from people shooting in the respective division, in peticular CM06-03, Can You Count. For example, using one limited score to set the 100% bar for three different divisions. Although I can understand the logic behind it, I would like to see a more concrete method of determining the 100% for the classifiers. Possibily the average of the top 5% scored on a classifier is determined to be the 100% mark, and they are re-adjusted annually (without impact to already posted percentages). Ya, this would be more work, but there are a few classifiers that are just not kosher IMO. This one in peticular I have never seen an M or GM in production score an M or above % on. Granted, I'm sure it's been done and I wasn't there, but I love to see an analysis of the top scores and how closely they resemble the set 100% on this classifier and a couple of others.

For some reason, I believed the 100% was determined by an averaging out of the top scores on the peticular classifier from that division. I thought it a little off target to use anything else.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a new USPSA shooter's perspective.

I've shot IDPA for a couple years and recently started USPSA. I've shot a couple of club matches and a classifier match and did fairly well with the classifiers. I think I will classify as B in Production. However... I'm an anti sandbagger! The longer stages cause me major grief. I do think the 'B' classification is close but being new to USPSA I'm not versed at shooting the longer COFs, shooting on the move and shooting as much steel. I'm sure I'll get there but clearly my "match" game right now is not up to my classification. I'm confident I can get to a B level in matches... but right now I still have some work to do.

Here the big thing- I want to continue improving, diversify my shooting skills and beat as many competitors as I can all while having fun. So... other than acting as some kind of measure stick... I'm not overly concerned about the classification system.