Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it just me? or what?

TRUBL

Ok....my wife and I go for a cruise on the motorcyle last night. We get hungry and stop in at the local Taco John's in Hutchinson, MN.

We see 4 people acting, well, pretty drunk and each one of them have a beer in their hands (note....parking lot, Taco John's, beer)

They proceed to go to their cars (2 cars, 4 people)......with beers in hand. They are just in their cars, drinkin their beers and eating.

I figure....hmmmmm, somthign is NOT right here. SOOOOOO I call the police, let them know whats all happening and details of the cars.

5 minutes pass and 2 squads come by...stop, pull in, go up to each car.....as they go from one car to the next, you see the people tossin beers under the seats, in the back, what ever.

10 minutes pass.....and the 2 squads leave. THEN the 2 cars pull out and drive away.

I thinks to myself......what the heck just happened?????

I call the police back.....I say, hey, your officers just let these people go and drive away.....they STILL have the beers in their car and they are drinking them!!!

The lady officer on the phone with me says......nope, they are ok, the drivers were sober, and they capped their bottles so they were good to go......besides, when they were drinking the cars were parked, so everything is ok.

OK.....I was speechless at this point, as were my wife and a few other people that saw this transpire.

to the best of my knowledge......in Minnesota, if you are in your car parked or not and you have alcohol and the seal is cracked.....that is an open bottle....and not legal to have in the car. Ok, I am no police officer....BUT, these people looked drunk. The officers, didnt even have these people get out of the car, do a breathlizer or anything.

Am I wrong here? or is something fishy here?????

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Well.....I knida figured it was either a friendship thing (but damn.....this was NOT a speeding thing, a drunk thing!!!) OR someone not wanting to screw with paperwork for 4 people in one stop. Heck, I've got LEO's that I've helped train and yep.....pulled me over when I was caught goin a little fast and basically told me to slow the hell down, but I dont think they'd let me drive if I was drunk.

Edited by TRUBL

Sounds pretty odd to me. The thing that is weird to me about it is the liability issue involved. Since you called, and officers responded, the incident was documented on the police blotter and the audio tape of the phone call. So, if one of those drivers goes and kills someone, hurts someone etc and they're tested as being over the limit, the officers that made contact with them can be questioned as to their actions. It might not be easy to prove that the drivers didn't drink after the officers left, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine a lawsuit against the department for negligence. I don't think most officers would be willing to risk that for a buddy...maybe get/give them a ride home, but not let them drive if they seemed to be under the influence....very odd all around.

Sounds pretty odd to me. The thing that is weird to me about it is the liability issue involved. Since you called, and officers responded, the incident was documented on the police blotter and the audio tape of the phone call. So, if one of those drivers goes and kills someone, hurts someone etc and they're tested as being over the limit, the officers that made contact with them can be questioned as to their actions. It might not be easy to prove that the drivers didn't drink after the officers left, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine a lawsuit against the department for negligence. I don't think most officers would be willing to risk that for a buddy...maybe get/give them a ride home, but not let them drive if they seemed to be under the influence....very odd all around.

That's why they pay you the big bucks! :)

Minnesota open bottle law does not govern when it takes place in a parking lot or private property. City streets or Hwy. only. Local ordinance normally would cover that. If they were parked on the street drinking in their vehicle then they would be in violation. I can't believe they didn't at least give a preliminary breath test. The only thing I could think of was if you called in anonymously. They would have to find their own probable cause then. Not too difficult if the people were intoxicated. Much more difficult if they had just "had a couple" and they showed no sign of impairment.

Thanks to you for at least making the call. Most people wouldn't have. Sorry the Officers didn't respond properly.

Payne

I don't know the laws of most states, but if the folks were in a parking lot, they were probably on private property. Public drunkenness would have gotten them a ride, but if they were sitting in the car, on private property, that sometimes limits the jurisdiction of an officer. Now...if the officer thought they were drunk, they would be sitting down the street waiting for them to drive off, then you have DUI.

Like G-ManBart said, they would be taking an awful chance if they had truly been intoxicated.

I hate to see drunk drivers on the road.

FWIW

dj

Here is what I could see happening.

Police Officer: Sir I have received a complaint about you drinking beer in public. Although I have not witnessed you commit a crime I would suggest you not driving.

Taco Eate and Beer Drinker: Yes officer I will not drive.

Police leave pull out and sit around the corner.

Few min's later.

Police Officer: Sir didnt I just tell you not to drive,,,,click click :o

Sorry it did not turn out the way you think it should have Tim. Atleast you know you did your part and should not let this stop you from doing the same again.

ooof not pretty.

I have had this assesment on the issue for years.

when you drink alcohol the First thing that is impaired is your judgment.

miranda

They were obviously impaired if they were eating at Taco Johns! :P

Friends in MN and lots of places don't ticket friends driving drunk.....errr, I mean while sitting in a vehicle with open containers.

It's not a big town.

Edited by Viggen