Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any info on winchester super field?

raz-0

Ok, I searhced and searched, but the reality is everyone tends to call it WSF and that's too short to find.

So here goes.

What's everyone's opinion on winchester super field as a powder?

I'm currently shooting titegroup, but getting a major load out of my M&P that is accurate is proving to be a problem. Not to mention that it is REALLY heating up the gun compared to using it for major loads in .45 or for 140pf 9mm. Also, following hodgdon's load data and maxing at 4.7gr, I really don't have much margin for major. IIRC (posting from work), I was only at about 168pf average, was testing in cold weather, and my experience with titegroup in 9mm is that if I leave the loaded ammo out in the sun, measured velocity drops.

I'm also shooting 180gr berry's plated, which is probably the source of accuracy issues at major PF, but with major laods I'm also getting lead spirals on targets which I'm not with minor loadings. Crimp is very minimal, so it is either the rifling cutting the plating, or the powder burning thorugh it I guess. Hopes are something that is a bit slower might not do that. I'm limited to an OAL of no more than 1.135 (gun can cycle up to about 1.175 but only if the mags stay absolutely pristene, which they don't during a match).

I thought I might try universal clays as it has more headroom for making major, but lots of folks say the SD is high. My SD with titegroup isn't that hot either.

So, is WSF any good for making major out of a 4.25" barrel?

Pluses/minuses/etc?

WSF is a good, SAFE, powder for major .40 and 10mm loads, plus +P .45 acp loads. Get a pound and try it. I think you might have better results accuracy wise with the slower burning WSF. Just make sure to use a simple crimp die, not a Lee Factory crimp die, and adjust the crimp down until the crimp almost leaves a faint line on the bullet. This entails making up a dummy round and pulling the bullet several times with a kinetic puller, but the results are worth it if you are loading plated. Good luck and give it a try.

DougC

I use WSF for 9x19, 40SW and 45ACP. It's cheaper(I get 8lb for $90), my barrel doesn't get as hot compared to shooting TG or w231, and my gun stays much cleaner.

I haven't been able to bring up hodgdon reloading data site in a while (data.hodgdon.com), but found this at archive.org...

http://wwpowder.com/data/handgun/40sw.php

Archive WW Powder Site

Edited by HoMiE

I use WSF for 9x19, 40SW and 45ACP. It's cheaper(I get 8lb for $90), my barrel doesn't get as hot compared to shooting TG or w231, and my gun stays much cleaner.

I haven't been able to bring up hodgdon reloading data site in a while (data.hodgdon.com), but found this at archive.org...

http://wwpowder.com/data/handgun/40sw.php

Archive WW Powder Site

Here's the Hodgdon URL: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

They show a max load of 6.2 grains of WSF for a 180 grain JHP loaded to 1.135" OAL giving 1040 fps from a 5" barrel.

Edited by revchuck

WSF is still the most accurate powder I have loaded in 9mm and 40. As clean as TG, WAY less heat, more consistent with temp changes, and just all around a better powder. The reason I don't use it for major 40 is it is a little 'pushy' feeling.

WSF is the only pistol powder I use any more; I load it in 9mm, 40, and 45acp (sorry I don’t shoot open). There are better powders for 45ACP but I have not found better for my 9mm and 40s (I should say the 45 is my carry gun I don’t shoot it in matches and WSF is great for hot 45s). I tried the fast powders everyone here raves about but ran into pressure issues so I’m sticking with my WSF (I will add that most people love those fast powders so I’m in the minority here).

I used WSF as a cleaner alternative to 540 on a major 9 gun years ago. While I doubt it would be problem with .40, it loses it's linear qualities at higher pressures. Be careful if you try to push the limits with it.

• 3 weeks later...