Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to remove super glue from the grip

sps

I was thinking to change my G17 with a G22. I found a good condition G22 but the problem is that the owner used super glue to secure a Hogue rubber grip. Since the guy sells the gun As Is, I do not know the condition of the grip underneath the grip. is there any chance that the glue jeopardized the grip? Is there any way I can remove the glue from the grip using some kind of solvent or is it there to stay?

My guess is there will be remaining damage from the Super Glue under the grip. But do not be discouraged. Have him remove the grip, then see how bad it is, then offer him significantly less than you would normally. Go out and get yourself a $20 Craftsman soldering iron (mine is awesome) and texture the grip to meet your needs, it doesn't have to be anything radical!

I did mine on my 35 in about 2 hours, and I absolutely love how it turned out!

Unless of course you are shooting Production, IPSC or USPSA, then you can't texture the grip.

USPSA you could wrap the grip in skate board tape, or AGRIP.........

Try using finger nail polish remover, Acetone, to take off excess super glue - sparingly, not sure how that will interact with the plastic frame. Or scrape it off with the edge of a butter knife, sometimes super glue will just flake off, especially if the grip wasn't de-greased properly to being glued. But you will probably end up with some white residue discoloring the grip somewhat.

I was thinking to change my G17 with a G22. I found a good condition G22 but the problem is that the owner used super glue to secure a Hogue rubber grip. Since the guy sells the gun As Is, I do not know the condition of the grip underneath the grip. is there any chance that the glue jeopardized the grip? Is there any way I can remove the glue from the grip using some kind of solvent or is it there to stay?

I did the same thing with my G35 and a Hogue grip. I decided to remove the grip and yep, there it was, the super glue. I went to the local hardware store and bought a quart of Acetone and put it in a glass container. I soaked the frame in the Acetone for about 10 minutes and removed it and scrubbed the grip with a stiff nylon brush. The super glue will turn white. After I did this a couple of times, the super glue was gone. That was two years ago and thousands of rounds later. No problems that I have ever seen from doing this. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good Luck,

Mike

Unless of course you are shooting Production, IPSC or USPSA, then you can't texture the grip.

You might ber able to stipple it in USPSA Production soon. From the proposed 2008 rules:

Authorized

modifications

(Strictly limited to

these items and their

stated guidelines)

Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy, reliability and function

Sights – trimmed, adjusted, replaced, colored, or fiber-optic.

Slide – refinishing. Milling of slide – only as required to insert sights.

After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, contour, and

caliber as original factory standard.

Grips – Checkered or stippled. Internal beveling, addition of grip tape or grip sleeve.

Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties, slide stops, guide rods).

Give it a go with Acetone. If that doesn't work, try soaking the grip frame in Kroil followed by a good scrubbing with a bristle brush. Virtually nothing will chemically interact with nylon (which is what Glock frames are molded out of), so there is only a mechanical bond that you need to break.

You could use the universal solvent...water. Try a warm, soapy soak followed by a good scrubbing.

I forgot to add: after the grip is clean and dry apply TruGrip. it is just the best.

David C

Edited by geezer-lock

..did the same with hogues on a G19 using krazy glue.. it really meshed up the grip..smoothed it out.. i went to work on it with a small point screwdriver (the kind used to service cell phones) to dig out the glue and over 2 weekends it came to about 60% of what it was originally..