Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optima Power

BamBam

My optima still runs fine, but I would like a more powerful dot. The battery always seems to be a bit weak with mine (more so than with all other optimas I have seen). I use the arredondo mount so I could double up the battery, but I have not yet tried this. I was worried about hurting the unit somehow with double the juice. Does anyone have any experience with the double battery set up? Does it hurt the life of the optima? Any tricks to setting it up?

I don't have huge experience with Optimas, but I'll throw in my $0.02. I have two of the latest generation Optima 2000's. I bought both of them used, one is on my rifle and the other is on my shotgun (pistols should have iron sights). I've been using them for about six months now. The one on the rifle has the Arredondo battery pack with two 2032 batteries, the one on the shotgun has two 2016 batteries in it. Having two batteries definitely makes the dot brighter. It's most noticeable in very dim and very bright light. The directions that came with them said that it is possible to use two 2016 batteries to make the dot brighter. I doubt that the manufacturer would recommend the procedure if it drastically reduces lifespan of the sight.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

jkmccoy is right on the money. I have Optima/J-Points on all of my open guns (rifle, pistol, & shotgun). I tried them each with a single 2032 at first, one after another, not bright enough. Two 2016's and they are all absolutely perfect outdoors, and indoors.

Battery life is still great. I left the cover off one with (2) 2016's in it for 3 days in my shop with the fluorescents on to make it brighten up, and it's still running strong two months of shooting later.

Regards,

Is it possible to use two 2016 batteries in the original compartment without modifing the base?

Absolutely. I am doing this in an older Optima (Mfg in 2000), A later Optima (Mfg in late 2001), and a recent J-Point. The CR-2016 is 1/2 the thickness of the CR-2032, and two are an exact fit.

My feeling is that this is the best way to do it because it is the lightest way to do it. Increasing the inertia of the sight by adding mass to it will increase the forces applied during acceleration, and deceleration of the slide. This can not be a good thing, even if it is not a catastrophic thing.

BTW, your gonna love the brighter dot.

Regards,

Battery trivia:  Coin cells are numbered as Diameter in mm + height in 10ths of a mm.  So a 2032 is 20mm across and 3.2 high.  A 2016 is 20mm across and 1.6 high.

Now that's good "useless" data. Love it.

Thanks,

• 5 years later...

Great tip on the 2016 batteries. I have the Arredondo power pack, but guess I won't need to buy another one. It's also kinda cool that there is a system to numbering batteries. Learn something every day.

I have never had a big problem with dot brightness on the 2 JPs and 1 DrDot that I use. However, brighter is better and I am going to try the 2016 battery method.

As for risking a problem with the sight using 2 batteries......no worries there. The LED light sources used for these compact sights are very robust. The typical lifetime of the LED is 50,000+ hours. The increased brightness will not reduce the life of these LEDs at the voltages and currents involved.

One word of caution: I am not sure about the other dots but the contact to the outer can of the 2032 on the Docter can short out the bottom cell of the 2016 stack unless you can insulate the side thingy from the top cell can.

Later,

Chuck

I have two Optima 2000 sights that refuse to hold a zero..

Is there anyplace to get them repaired at a reasonable price ??

Believe both of them are 4min dots,wonder if the dot might be changed to 8min ??

I recall using the two battery pack and found no difference in brightness,will

have to try again with one of the surviving units..Believe that if new units are

required I will go with the Fastfire..Think it is great and the price is better than the J-Point..

One word of caution: I am not sure about the other dots but the contact to the outer can of the 2032 on the Docter can short out the bottom cell of the 2016 stack unless you can insulate the side thingy from the top cell can.

Later,

Chuck

Later,

Chuck

Also,

Since the Docter is metal, the battery cans may short out to the sight frame if the anodization is interrupted.

Later,

Chuck

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.....I will keep it in mind when I try this configuration out. Should work for my JPs atleast.

I have two Optima 2000 sights that refuse to hold a zero..

Is there anyplace to get them repaired at a reasonable price ??

Believe both of them are 4min dots,wonder if the dot might be changed to 8min ??

I recall using the two battery pack and found no difference in brightness,will

have to try again with one of the surviving units..Believe that if new units are

required I will go with the Fastfire..Think it is great and the price is better than the J-Point..

I have one JP that stopped holding zero after 4 years of use on a G22 slide. After some

investigation (re-zero after each stage of a 5 stage match :surprise: ) I figured out that

the verticle adjust screw had become loose going out of adjustment as I shot each stage

(you could see my hit point change as I moved through the stage).

My solution was to put a drop of loctite on the screw after I zero'd the sight. The sight

zero has not moved since. One word of caution........don't get the loctite in the area

where the LED projects the dot, it will ruin the site. I used a pin to put a very small drop

of loctite on the screw. The lack of locking screws, as they have on the DrDot and Burris

sights, is one of the downsides to the JP and Optima sights.

4 years is a while for a slide mounted sight

Harmon

.........and if the slide of the G22 had not cracked right through the recoil rod hole, I would probably still be using that sight.