Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 2011

I am hoping to get on with my local Police dept. soon. I currently have a Kimber 1911 45. and a Springfield XD40 in 40. I would love to get an STI tactical 5.0 or 4.15 for duty use. Guys there are currently using Glocks, XDs, Springfield operators etc. The firearm policy is pretty liberal and single action is OK. I dont know if I would get the longer or shorter, 40 or 45 yet, but my question is this: Is the STI reliable enough for duty? If yes, why dont more officers use them? I know of officers using WC singlestacks and Operators as stated before so cost is out as the only factor. I would carry the gun with 126mm mags, and have ready 2 140mm reloads. How say you, great new idea, or totally the wrong thing?

Thanks for the help.

DaFUnk

NO!!!! not a P series! So, stock STIs are or are not reliable enough? Ill google triangle shooting sports and see if i can check out there sight. Looking for a pretty basic pistol. Strong hand thumb saftey only, high capacity, etc. One more thing, are the 40s and 45s the same in reliability in these weapons? Looking for a solid duty gun, love my Kimber, but even 10 round mags make it look dorky.

Thanks

DaFUnk

I don't care what anyone says about reliability (or lack thereof) on the 19/2011 platfor, my Benny Blaster (STI from Triangle) is the most reliable heater I've ever owned.

You want 5" for duty.

Get a 40. You can hop up the loads to 10mm if you reload. Much more versatile than 45, particularly at long ranges. Also much more suitable for LE use as that's where most of the R&D now is for specialty loadings.

Edited by EricW

+ 100

get a .40 with the rail, fixed (Heinie?) rear and a sexy black-tical coating and you're ready to rock.

I've never been a badged LEO, but I have 'em, carried 'em and tried to wear them out. Easier to shoot and more reliable than anything else I have owned.

Don't worry about AL frames, the steel, short DC / bushing barrels are light enough. Mine goes 32 ounces with a mag (IDPA weight)

GET-R-DONE!!!

No handloads for duty use. Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points Only. and Speer Lawman 165gr. for practice and qualifying. Was thinking about 126mm for duty and 2 140mm for a speedy reloads. This will hold alot of 40 on my duty belt. How far down out of the magwell does the 126 and 140 stick out?

Thanks

DaFUnk

If they'll let you carry a .45....carry a .45! I own a bunch of .40s and carry one every day, but that's only because they won't let me carry a .45 :angry:

You're going to have more than enough rounds in the gun and plenty on your belt so capacity really isn't an issue. With all the great improvements they've made in ammo, a .40 still isn't as effective as a .45.

If I get too exited on a reload, could the 140mm break my ejector?

*If* and only if the ejector isn't fitted properly or the mags are out of spec. Otherwise, there's just no way to do it short of beating a mag in with a hammer.

And I don't want to start a 40 vs. 45 debate, but you can get 'er done with hot 40. The Speer is supposed to be pretty warm. I know the LE's just south of here have issues with it actually breaking their Glocks. Unless your department permits Cor Bon, that's probably the warmest loading available to you.

If you're off duty, you can load that 40 up to 10mm or close enough and it will make a good backwoods heater. The only *perfect* handgun is the one that gets you to where you left your rifle. ;)

No handloads for duty use. Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points Only. and Speer Lawman 165gr. for practice and qualifying. Was thinking about 126mm for duty and 2 140mm for a speedy reloads. This will hold alot of 40 on my duty belt. How far down out of the magwell does the 126 and 140 stick out?

Thanks

DaFUnk

Well that is a problem; many STIs - especially the ones built by STI - just won't run 100% reliably on "short" or "factory length" .40 ammo - which is really too short anyway. You really should feed the gun appropriate length ammo - in the vicinity of 1.180 to 1.220" oal or so. Gold Dot duty is usually 1.125" OAL. Besides, if you load to a longer appropriate OAL your brass will last longer and you can use a faster powder for less perceived recoil at the longer OAL. This is important for competing in USPSA.

If you insist on factory-length .40 cal only, an STI 5.0 is probably not the gun for your duty use. And a custom built Limited Division race gun may not be the ideal duty sidearm (though i am prepared for the crap-storm that is sure to follow this statement).

If I get too exited on a reload, could the 140mm break my ejector?

*If* and only if the ejector isn't fitted properly or the mags are out of spec. Otherwise, there's just no way to do it short of beating a mag in with a hammer.

And I don't want to start a 40 vs. 45 debate, but you can get 'er done with hot 40. The Speer is supposed to be pretty warm. I know the LE's just south of here have issues with it actually breaking their Glocks. Unless your department permits Cor Bon, that's probably the warmest loading available to you.

If you're off duty, you can load that 40 up to 10mm or close enough and it will make a good backwoods heater. The only *perfect* handgun is the one that gets you to where you left your rifle. ;)

Yes, you can get it done with a .40...no doubt. I have two on me as I type this and I don't feel undergunned. The people that came up with the specs for that Speer Gold Dot .40 round are guys I know to one degree or another. I'm not sure if it's 100% or not, but the majority of them carry a .45 :surprise:

Any LEO that carries different ammo off duty from on duty (assuming the same gun, of course) is being very, very foolish. So why wasn't the ammo your department authorizes good enough for off duty? It wasn't deadly enough for you right?...or something similar.

Any LEO that carries different ammo off duty from on duty (assuming the same gun, of course) is being very, very foolish. So why wasn't the ammo your department authorizes good enough for off duty? It wasn't deadly enough for you right?...or something similar.

Respectfully, I wasn't talking about going to the store. The versatility of the STI platform is that with good brass you can load to 10mm ballistics - if you so choose. We have moose, bear, and cougars here. Being able to use the same platform for competition and for hiking/biking/skiing is a selling point for me.

Not trying to be a party pooper............or turn this into an e-argument.....

Why would you bet your LIFE on a system that, in your words, you don't know "jack" about?

Buy a gun that doesn't cost $1500, take the money you save from that and spend it on ammo and training.

The $450 Glock (or whatever) and $1000 of training will save your life. Carrying a gun is not about "cool" but more about saving your life and the life of your partner.

This forum has its place, but lining up to tell a young man (who's not even a cop yet) to get a custom 2011 built for DUTY carry shows the limits of the knowledge here.

FY42385

Respectfully, I wasn't talking about going to the store. The versatility of the STI platform is that with good brass you can load to 10mm ballistics - if you so choose. We have moose, bear, and cougars here. Being able to use the same platform for competition and for hiking/biking/skiing is a selling point for me.

I can understand that and carrying a gun for protection while you're hiking is very different from carrying a gun for protection against bad guys. I didn't see anything in the first post about lions, tigers or bears...oh my :) so I was pretty sure it was protection against bad guys.

When a LEO says "for off duty" he's talking about being ready for bad guys...not animals and that's been true even when I lived in Montana. If I was going on a hiking trip hotter ammo might just be the ticket and I can't argue the versatility issue.

The big factor is that if there's any chance that it could wind up in a self-defense situation against a bad guy, anything other than approved/issued ammo is going to get a LEO in huge trouble...if not in court.

Im no LEO but I carry a gun ALOT. With all the other crap on your duty belt, you may find that 2011 with all that ammo gets VERY heavy for day in and day out carry. Carry whats going to get the job done, not the one that wow's everyone.

Before you drop a couple grand on a new pistol, to possibly use for LEO use in the future, perhaps reconsider your options.

First, STIs are great guns. The stock triggers are generally rough. You may, or may not, like the stock sights. You may, or may not, like the recoil master. You'll definitely want a good quality light to attach to the gun. Many stock STI .40s WILL fail to feed factory length .40, usually the penultimate or final round in the mag, unless the gun and mags are tuned for factory-length .40. Magazines ain't cheap. By the time you get a decent trigger, get the grip the way you like, get extra mags, get everything tuned, make any other changes, and add a light, you are well over $2,000.

Second, will the academy even allow an STI? Some academies limit, or even specify, what pistol, or caliber, you can use during academy training. How well will you be supported by the academy armorer and, once you are on, the department armorers?

Third, if you are involved in a critical incident and use your weapon, you will likely have to turn your weapon over for evidentiary purposes. Are you willing to drop a second $2,000 for a back up gun in case this should ever happen?

Fourth, the STI and its mags are heavier than the the plastic guns you often seen carried by LEOs. You already have a 1911. Put on your rig, fill the mag, add three or four topped off mags, put a light on your weapon, and put about another 10 pounds on your belt. Spend an entire day wearing that get-up. You may appreciate that any extra weight don't have to carry is a blessing.

Fifth, are you willing to drop another $1,500-plus for a more compact version of your duty weapon, to use for off-duty carry? Some people don't mind a full-size gun for concealed carry, but I feel that a more compact gun is easier to deal with. Or, you could choose a smaller, less expensive gun for off duty. But, how cheap can you really go to get a compact, reliable, tuned gun with the same manual of arms as an STI/1911. You'll spend a grand, at a minimum, on a commander size off-duty gun.

Sixth, several of our top local shooters are law enforcement officers, or former LEOs. Some of them work in departments that also have a pretty liberal carry policy, both on and off duty. I know that many, if not most, shoot STIs at matches, and that the STI is their preferred handgun. I also know what each of them carry on, and off duty. NONE of them carry an STI on or off.

Finally, I personally would rather be known as the best shooter in my academy class, or even in the whole department, than that guy who has a really expensive gun, but is a really mediocre shot. There are those guys who are known -- not necessarily in a positive light -- because of their really expensive gun, and their really poor shooting skills. I would hate to be that guy. Just my $.02.

Just a suggestion, knowing what my law enforcement buddies carry -- department shooting instructors, SWAT, etc..., and all very high level USPSA compeitors -- consider a 9mm or .40 glock. I know, its mundane. But, you could have two full size guns, a compact off duty gun, a light and mags for less money than you are proposing to spend. Second choice, is the XD that you already have. Again, just my $.02. Best of luck with your decision on this, and your career. Cheers,

-br

Edited by joker22

I plan to start with my XD 40 cal. or my 1911 (Bolth are approved for the academy) I love the way that my 1911 shoots, but would love a higher capacity. Thats what Im looking at here. I can shoot pretty well. Im no hotshot IPSC shooter, but have had the oppertunity to shoot with some local LEO to qual on there courses. I outshot all but 3 of them (out of probably 35 that night.) Its not a cool factor, but a weapon system that Im familiar with (1911), plus more rounds. I know guys that spend the same amount of cash on tricked out 1911s for Duty as I would spend on a 2011 type platform. I guess im just wondering what makes them with there singlestacks any different then me. If this is not the right tool for the job, no big deal. I just want everones oppinion on how it would fill that role.

DaFUnk

P.S. I have already purchased the 4 day pistol class at Front Sight. I will be taking it in september I believe.

Edited by Boeydafunk

Funk.....

I've been a LEO for 12 years, and shoot a STI Edge for USPSA. My dept. requires me to carry a Glock 22c, but if it didn't I would have a STI in a heart beat. My Edge runs 100% with all factory ammo (which is all I shoot). All It needs is some night sights, a rail milled for a light, and find someone that will make a big, honking holster to fit that thing !!!!