Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New KKM barrel peening

zen_grasshopper

I purchased a KKM semi-drop in barrel for my 2 pin Glock 17 just before my last match. I shot the match and then I stayed after and did some practicing, so I have approximately 300 to 400 rounds through the barrel.

The barrel did not appear to have any problems with fit when I put it in. Throughout the match and practice it shot beautifully. After I finished my practice session, I was messing around with the gun and instead of racking it like I normally do, I rode the slide down gently. The slide stopped about a 1/2" from battery, while shooting the gun I did not notice any problems.

I disassembled the gun and I noticed that the under side of the barrel had peened enough that it was binding the slide a bit. Peening doesn't bother me on the Glock slides as I know that it happens and my G17's slide has quite a bit of peening, but it stopped like it was supposed to. I have shot a lot of Glocks and this is the first time I have noticed peening on a barrel to this extent. I have seen it on factory barrels, but it barely made a dent in the metal.

I used my caliper on my factory barrel and measured from the tip of my bottom lug up to where the barrel beds down into the locking block and found that the factory barrel is .200" and the KKM is .230". Here is a picture illustrating what I mean.

P1010128.JPG

Basically when the barrel is linking down, it is going .030" farther then the factory barrel. No peening on the factory barrel.

Here are some pictures of the peening.

P1010118.JPGP1010119.JPG

P1010123.JPG

The pictures are not the greatest, and the peening doesn't look that bad as I have already filed it back to flush on the sides.

The barrel shoots, and I am not really that worried about it, and I know that it is a drop in barrel so the tolerances have to be at a certain point to allow the barrel to fit all Glocks. I guess I just want to know if anyone else has seen this before, or is this excessive? I realize that the peening will eventually stop just like the slide. Could the extra .030" on link down apply more pressure to my locking block and barrel and possibly break my barrel or locking block?

Jon

Edited by zen_grasshopper

I have never personally seen this happen with a Glock barrel, much less a KKM, they have a reputation of being one of the better Glock replacement barrels.

I would be very interested to know what KKM says about the peening. Have you contacted them to see if they will make it right?

I would be very interested to know what KKM says about the peening. Have you contacted them to see if they will make it right?

I haven't contacted them yet, I wanted to see if anyone else had seen this before I bothered them. As I said the barrel has been reliable and shoots well so far. I will email them about it now, and see what they say.

Thanks,

Jon

Joe D, if your out there, what do ya' think?

I might send the entire top end to KKM and

have a different barrel fitted. But, there were those

head blows when I was young, so...

Doesn't look right to me. peening usually means something is colliding with something else..... if the gap is too wide, that could be the reason.

I'm surprised the barrel material is soft enough to do it that quickly.

Edited by bountyhunter

This is the response that I got from KKM, so I will be sending my barrel back.

"Jonathan,

Could you please send the barrel back to me. I will fix this for you. Glock frames are not all the same. I have seen this on only one other gun. I will have your barrel here for one day only.

Kevin"

Quick response via email, Kudos to Kevin.

Jon

I had one like this too, I believe. I got mine from Brownell's, when they first started carrying the KKM's.

I'd need to take a look... The house is still a mess from the move...stuff in boxes everywhere...but, I think I know where my guns are. :)

FWIW, I've shot 10's of k through mine, regardless.

I hope everyone realizes that I am not bad mouthing KKM. My other Glocks are going to get KKM barrels also. Main reason for the post was to see if anyone had seen it before and if it had caused any longevity problems. If I would have gotten Flex's post first I probably would not have bothered Kevin with it and just continued to shoot it! KKM's customer service has been great, much better then some I have dealt with in the firearms industry.

Kevin, I finally got the barrel shipped yesterday via USPS.

Thanks,

Jon

Any updates? What did KKM do to your barrel?

I have a similar situation with the CCF Frame and a KKM barrel. I know the CCF site says to use only Glock barrels, but I couldn't see purchasing a stock barrel for the gun.

So far no problems, but I haven't put a lot of rounds thru the gun yet.

I have a similar situation with the CCF Frame and a KKM barrel. I know the CCF site says to use only Glock barrels, but I couldn't see purchasing a stock barrel for the gun.

Is the peening only on the barrel, or is there some on the CCF frame as well?

Is the peening only on the barrel, or is there some on the CCF frame as well?

Slight peening on the locking block as well. I am going to monitor it and see what happens. If I get ambitious I may take some measurements and compare the factory barrel to the KKM. Haven't had time to mess with it lately.

The barrel came today via UPS. KKM did what I figured they would do and they machined the dimension shown in red. It started at .590" and is now .574" so when the barrel links down it is not hitting the locking block. The line in blue is where they removed the metal. Sorry for the poor graphics.

Stippled%20015.jpg

I can't be positive but I believe this is the barrel that I sent them. They basically made it look brand new, the inside was even cleaned.

Service was excellent, I highly recommend KKM. Kevin stated that he had only seen this once before, but still had no problems fixing my barrel and making me a very satisfied customer.

Thanks,

Jon