Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skills Test - CRAZY PLATES

dirtypool40

I searched in "skills" and didn't see it so I'm starting a new thread.

Here's a new test / drill for you. Actually it's an old one, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

This part is standard: Bianchi 6 plate rack, 8 runs, 48 plates total. VIRGINIA COUNT. Use Bianchi Par times.

Start position hands relaxed. All runs shot standing.

Par times:

25y - 9 sec,

20y - 8 sec,

15y - 7 sec,

10y - 6 sec

Shoot one run each, 25, 20, 15, 10 then back out, 10, 15, 20, 25. I like that is gives you two waves of pressure. Starting on 25y plates ain't easy, and when you have a clean run going, backing up to 25y again can sure make your sphincter tingle. :devil:

Adding to the difficulty, shoot the plates 1,6,2,5,3,4 so instead of moving the gun straight across, you alternate, picking one plate off and jumping all the way across to get the next one. I also alternate starts, so coming in from 25, I start on plate #1, and backing out I start on plate #6. :wacko:

I really like this drill, it makes me stop, let the sights settle and follow through. So far I have only "cleaned" this one time, back in February.

I hit this in practice yesterday, and dropped three.

What have you guys done?

Who likes this?

Who hates it?

Who thinks I'm a psycho for making it so hard?

edited to include par times.

Edited by dirtypool40

I have shot this in practice with DP, great drill.

The par times that we used for shooting this drill were slow. It showed me I shoot WAY too fast for my skills.

I can't wait to get back to practicing when I get back. You don't really realize how much you miss it until you don't get to shoot for a long time.

You suggested this drill a couple months ago, when I first had access to a plate rack, and I tried it.

Don't hate me for this, but I voted "1" -- or "VA count plates are tough enough."

Here's my splatter:

1) It's a very, very tough drill for those of us average (~"B") shooters. Kinda hurts the psyche when you leave lots of plates standing -- just saying, is all. You should label this "Advanced".

2) It's a minor PITA constantly changing the par times for all those strings.

3) The order is funky -- the 1,6,2...stuff. This is never the way I've shot an array of steel at any match, so when I get rare chance to practice on an actual plate rack, I want to shoot it L-R, and R-L, as I would when I come around the corner and see a bunch of poppers.

All that said, I'm going to practice in a little bit, and I'll try it again. I have to look up the Bianchi par times again -- you should put those in the drill, as many folks won't know them.

Edited by boo radley

You suggested this drill a couple months ago, when I first had access to a plate rack, and I tried it.

Don't hate me for this, but I voted "1" -- or "VA count plates are tough enough."

Here's my splatter:

1) It's a very, very tough drill for those of us average (~"B") shooters. Kinda hurts the psyche when you leave lots of plates standing -- just saying, is all. You should label this "Advanced".

You make some good points, but without being a jerk, it ain't 'sposed to be easy. I promise you, by the time your average "B" shooter slows down and learns to call enough of these that they are shooting it down 8 or less; A) They probably won't be a "B" any more, and B) they will be proud of how they worked on it and the progress they made. this drill is SUPPOSED to be tough.

2) It's a minor PITA constantly changing the par times for all those strings.

You're right, it is inconvenient. I've done it enough on my timer, it's not that big a deal. If you are practicing with a buddy you get a couple runs out of each change. If I am feeling tough I may just set the par at 6 and leave it there. When I am tuned up, my 25y runs average just under 6.0, so having a 6.0 par time puts a little extra pressure on me.

3) The order is funky -- the 1,6,2...stuff. This is never the way I've shot an array of steel at any match, so when I get rare chance to practice on an actual plate rack, I want to shoot it L-R, and R-L, as I would when I come around the corner and see a bunch of poppers.

All that said, I'm going to practice in a little bit, and I'll try it again. I have to look up the Bianchi par times again -- you should put those in the drill, as many folks won't know them. (did so, my bad-es)

I'm trying to make it tougher, and snap my eyes. No, I wouldn't shoot a plate rack like this in a match. But there are plenty of times using an activator and LE (Limited Exposure) target a course designer will force you to jump back and forth.

I was trying to get over my weakness in following through when I came up with this. I didn't want to lose snappy eye movement, I just wanted to discipline the timing a little better.

Final thoughts on tough drills; This is one with a perfect score. Most drills people post have no perfect, only faster and faster and you get some kurazy fast times posted. You can still post "dropped 5 total, shooting B-class production gear" and compare times within class and division.

Remember; (tough guy quote paraphrased badly) The iron ore laments it's torture in the furnace, the tempered steel looks back and smiles. :ph34r:

Excellent drill!! I am so glad to see people apply Bianchi skills to IPSC, it will help your game, and your confidence tremendously. I've done this drill for years off and on. I never got to the point that I could clean it regularly, but I have been very close a number of times.

yes, it is very tough

yes, it can be tough mentally

however, when you get to where you get to 46 or so plates with regularity, that 30 yard popper wont cause you a seconds hesitation.

btw, do this clean with a stock gun and you are a stud.

Shot this through several times yesterday. Damn, :blink: it is tough. :unsure: You guys weren't kidding :blush: .

Focus was kinda iffy all day, :yawn: and I never got cleaner than a couple of "3's". Draw was kinda rocky and I would snap the gun up, and then have to take almost as much time centering on the plate and prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrepping the trigger. There was no telling which plate I would miss, my mind would start to wander off in mid string..... what were we talking about? :mellow:

Not my finest performance to be sure, but still a solid, if humbling workout.

Shot three more runs yesterday.

Went 4, 3, and finished with a 1. DOH!!! I missed the #3 plate on the Laaaaaaaaast run at 25y. HORRIBLE grip, and I used almost all the time, really digging in the sights and trigger. Got five of six, and hey, I'm headed to Area 7 this weekend, and missing that one plate will keep me VERY humble and respectful.

<Random thought - how does a guy like Robbie keep from sneering at the stage in disgust when he walks up, knowing he will lay waste to it? Insert AHHHHNOLD voice:"I have come for your ALPHAS, give them to me NOW!!!"

Ahem, sorry, aaaaaaaaaand we're back. So, it's the 2nd best I've done on this drill. This is Tee You Eff Tough!!! When I start shooting this thing clean, cold, right out of the car....

....well there will be something else to work on, I'm sure. :cheers:

Brief, light practice cut short by rain.

Got out of the car to shoot a 2 cold on the "Crazy Plates". Went clean all the way in and out back to 20, then missed one at 20 and one at 25. A pretty solid run, especially cold. I backed it up with a "1" on the next run, clean in and back out, missed my first shot 6 o'clock for 2" into the cross bar @ 25 :rolleyes: .

Then the rains came, and I just emptied my mags from under cover 40y away from the rack. Tough but fun too.

New goal==>> shoot "Crazy Plates" cold.

I feel like it's coming. :goof:

Edited by dirtypool40

• 4 weeks later...
I searched in "skills" and didn't see it so I'm starting a new thread.

Here's a new test / drill for you. Actually it's an old one, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

This part is standard: Bianchi 6 plate rack, 8 runs, 48 plates total. VIRGINIA COUNT. Use Bianchi Par times.

Start position hands relaxed. All runs shot standing.

Par times:

25y - 9 sec,

20y - 8 sec,

15y - 7 sec,

10y - 6 sec

Shoot one run each, 25, 20, 15, 10 then back out, 10, 15, 20, 25. I like that is gives you two waves of pressure. Starting on 25y plates ain't easy, and when you have a clean run going, backing up to 25y again can sure make your sphincter tingle. :devil:

Adding to the difficulty, shoot the plates 1,6,2,5,3,4 so instead of moving the gun straight across, you alternate, picking one plate off and jumping all the way across to get the next one. I also alternate starts, so coming in from 25, I start on plate #1, and backing out I start on plate #6. :wacko:

I really like this drill, it makes me stop, let the sights settle and follow through. So far I have only "cleaned" this one time, back in February.

I hit this in practice yesterday, and dropped three.

What have you guys done?

Who likes this?

Who hates it?

Who thinks I'm a psycho for making it so hard?

edited to include par times.

At the risk of advocating practicality where space guns are used, I kinda LIKE the idea of this kind of drill. I think it teaches flexibility of response, instead of simply traversing like a tank turret and squeezing the trigger once every so many seconds of arc, etc., etc. Varying it from repeatedly going left to right, then right to left forces the shooter to analyze and decide which target to take out, when.

Wanna shake up the world a little more? Number the targets, keep the competitor "Blind" to their position until the timer blows, whereupon he steps where he can see them and must engage them in either ascending or descending numerical order. So instead of a fixed order over and over again, one run might be 1.6.2.5.3.4, while the next run might be 6,2,4,5,1,3, and the one after that might be 5,1,6,3,4,2, etc., etc.

Then again, maybe I'M the psycho.

Just a little off topic. I was running a relay at a local Action Pistol match with four plate racks. Of the two shooters in the center one always started from the right and the other from the left each time. The second run at 10 yds. the 1 and 6 fell then the 2 and the 5 plate fell. I'm thinking this ole boy is fast until they met in the middle. The shooter on the left had started on the wrong plate rack and he was the one that started from the left side of the rack.

Wanna shake up the world a little more? Number the targets, keep the competitor "Blind" to their position until the timer blows, whereupon he steps where he can see them and must engage them in either ascending or descending numerical order. So instead of a fixed order over and over again, one run might be 1.6.2.5.3.4, while the next run might be 6,2,4,5,1,3, and the one after that might be 5,1,6,3,4,2, etc., etc.

Then again, maybe I'M the psycho.

You might be, but it does sound fun.

• 2 weeks later...
....Final thoughts on tough drills; This is one with a perfect score. Most drills people post have no perfect, only faster and faster and you get some kurazy fast times posted. You can still post "dropped 5 total, shooting B-class production gear" and compare times within class and division.

I shot this again, late this afternoon, trying to squeeze in some badly needed practice. I took the drill seriously, but did warm up first, shooting the plate rack a couple times from regular distances, along with some other targets. Used my G17 and a big ziploc bag of mixed 9mm ammo -- 1/2 left over WWB, and whatever I've been reloading. About all I can afford to practice with. :(

I did not bother with the par time, but did time each string.

start:

25y -2 7.51 sec

20y -1 6.98 sec

15y -2 (this hurt!) 5.94 sec

10y clean (plates look like MOONS now) 4.91 sec

10y clean 4.90 sec -- the shift to starting on the r. plate threw me

15y -1 5.33 sec

20y -2 7.31 sec

25y THE HELL with this drill. :)

So like down 12, with the last string, but the mistakes at 15y really burn me. Fun stuff, and I'm gaining an appreciation for needing to bounce the eyes around, quickly.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Short solo practice. Crazy plates cold netted me a "2" which ain't too shabby. I missed two my first run at 25y then was clean all the way in and back out.

I horsed around a little, checked zero, a little step back drill and then finished with crazy plates. For only the second time I CLEANED the freakin' crazy plates!!!! It was like the first time I cleaned the reg'lar Bianchi plates, only worse!!!

I went clean from 25y in, and then clean as I backed out, but then on my last, pressure packed 25y run...... extra plates kept falling. Every time they would I would stop, reset and start that run over. I ended up shooting 9 extra plates before I got a run where ONLY the ones I shot at fell.

I didn't really have a crisp draw or feel completely confident, but I think I was just being really patient and reasonably disciplined with my shooting. I just stayed focused until there were no more plates to shoot, it seemed to go very quickly and I just didn't remember missing. Not a "peak experience" but definitely a slightly altered state.

• 2 weeks later...

I CLEANED THE CRAZY PLATES COLD!!!! :goof:

yup, got outta the car, three dry draws and went for it....

Same plate rack as always, this time I went CLEAN, which is a first and a goal I set back in July.

But like always extra plates were falling, and I kept starting over. All in all I ended up shoot 11 extra plates.

Edited by dirtypool40