Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Revolver Shooter

sniperdog

I am thinking about getting a S&W 686 7 shot and have a dumb question. If you have the cyl. cut to accept moonclips can you also shoot it without using moonclips. I have always been an auto shooter and want to explore the revolver world for USPSA. I just dont want to limit the gun to using moonclips all the time.

I am thinking about getting a S&W 686 7 shot and have a dumb question. If you have the cyl. cut to accept moonclips can you also shoot it without using moonclips. I have always been an auto shooter and want to explore the revolver world for USPSA. I just dont want to limit the gun to using moonclips all the time.

If the cylinder is cut properly you will retain the ability to shoot the gun without clips. Make sure to have the work done by a knowlegable gunsmith or machinist. Dave B)

Current rules in both USPSA and IDPA require reloads after six shots; ICORE permits more. You can have a six shot 686 cut for moonclips and use it in both USPSA and IDPA (ESR), but you'd be at a disadvantage in terms of reloads compared to a 610 or 625.

The 6 shot 625 isn't at very much of a disadvantage for ICORE. Given the emphasis on accuracy, and penalty for non A Zone hits. Plus ICORE tries very hard to make courses 6 shot neutral.

Either way, welcome.

Dave

P.S. If you want to know the recomended changes, run a search, or just ask. But be prepared to read a while. There's no end of members willing to give good advice.

Current rules in both USPSA and IDPA require reloads after six shots; ICORE permits more. You can have a six shot 686 cut for moonclips and use it in both USPSA and IDPA (ESR), but you'd be at a disadvantage in terms of reloads compared to a 610 or 625.

Plus you would have to meet the 165 PF too.

I won the Oz IPSC Nationals last year using a standard 686 running 130pf loads, I was scored as minor but able to keep it accurate enough to win it.

However if I was living in the USA I would be using either a 610 or a 625 running major for IPSC/USPSA and ICORE if I could not afford a second gun for ICORE. If a second gun was an option I would have my current 8 shot 627 in 38 Super for ICORE which I double as a steel challenge gun.

In a 686 I always favored the 6 shot.. that being said the 7 shot gives you a little push for steel and ICORE but not much and you would not be able to use ithe seventh shot in USPSA with out going to Open Division. But If a 686 is in your plans go for it You can learn to reload smoothly with one. later rdd