Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking to upgrade from 550

I bought a 550 setup from BE about a year ago. It has been great...huge improvement over my old set up. I should have bought the 650. Well...i have been thinking about it again. Challenge is I don't know if i should go with a 1050, 650 or (2) 650s. We load 9mm .40 most and some .45 i have the brass and bullets to load .223 but have not done that in over 10 years. Might get back into the .223 loading.

I need your help and opinions, we all look at things different and that info is what I need to help me make my final selection before i purchase, from BE of course.

If I want to go the least expensive route it is pretty simple to me, go with (1) 650. I also think, no just go for the 1050 and forget about it. The challenge is, unless I’m missing something, I can own (2) 650s w/ case feeders (i have the dies) for about the same as (1) 1050 with a conversion quick change.

What would you choose? Is 2 650's more versatile or handy that 1 1050?

Edited by dstroyed

I've got a 550 I've only been using about 6 weeks, My other press was an old Lee Loadmaster. Just to tell you that in all fairness I'm a lot less familiar with the Dillon's than most on this board. But I don't think I would buy two 650's just so I don't have to make any calibers conversions. BE has really good breakdowns of all of the reasons to buy each press, and his advice seemed very sound to me. Maybe you want the volume of the 1050, or maybe the 650 is all that you need. The less money you spend on your press selection, the more you can spend on components.

I would buy a 650 to start and set it up for the small pistol/rifle primers & use the 550 for large primers. If you find you are making a lot of 9mm, 40, 223 swaps then buy another 650. With that many calibers I would invest in the Unique Tek powder bar to make powder changes easier.

I agree with LeRoy.

Keep the 550 set up in .45 for your lower volume.

Get a 650 for the small primer calibers. Get a good supply of brass so you don't have to change the press around very often.

I am the other was around. I prefer .45 and got a 1050 for it. I load the other stuff on a 550. (Except for .38 Special, for which I have an elderly C-H Autochamp.)

I don't load enough rifle ammo to need a progressive, it all goes through the Rockchucker.

I was thinking the same i just didn't want to say anything to not anchor anyone. Load .45 on 550 and buy a 650 for 9mm and .40.

The 550 is not fast enough for me to load 2 or 3K at one loading so i wind up loading 1k one night then a week later antoher caliber. It is not that difficult to change calibers i just really like the idea of just filling the hoppers and start cranking until i'm content. (about 1 hour).

I can fiddle with something or clean my guns over and over but something about standing there just cranking out round s bores me so RPH is important. :cheers:

There's also the "add a case feeder to the 550" variation to the buy a 650 and keep the 550 plan.

IIRC the 650 doesn't swage primer pockets which may or may not be a big deal for you. If you do deal with a lot of primer crimps, the price of the swager plus your time bring the price of the 650 and 1050 closer together.

Also, the 1050 doesn't have the mega-warranty, so if you break a lot of stuff, the 650 might be a better bet.

I like the idea of keeping the 550 setup for large primers and doing your 45ACP on it. It sounds like you don't need the same level of production a for 9mm and 40. The 650 with case feeder will give you what you need. I have two super 1050s one setup for small primers and one for large. I load 38 super, 9mm, 40cal and 45ACP. I did buy a K.I.S.S. bullet feeder for

my 45ACP setup. I plan on another one for the 40, 9mm and 38 super press. I have two 550s one for large primers and one for small. I did buy a case feeder for one of the 550s.

I guess my point is I don't think that you can make a wrong decision-do what fits. I happen to enjoy reloading and do not mind the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all and BE for the help. I call BE and ordered a 1050 today. I'm pretty sure i knew what i wanted all along i just needed a little push. I'm know i won't look back and say WTF was i thinking but i was worried i might be think 6 months from now if i didn't buy the 1050.

I bought a 550 last year. I do like it a lot since it's easy. Last week I bought a 650 and wish I had bought it last year. I have an RCBS Ammomaster and have had a Hornady Projector. The 650 it far superior in its design. I plan on using the 550 for Rifle 223 and any other calibers dthat I don'e shoot a boat load of ammo. I'm using the 650 for 9MM