Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 BMG ricochet... straight back

A good friend of mine who no longer shoots was shooting steel with a Moisin Nagant at 75 yards and was hit in the leg hard enough to be taken to the emergency room.

That guy on the video is lucky the round took a bounce first I think... :surprise:

That's just amazing. You can hear the bullet coming the whole way back! Hit him hard enough to knock his muffs off! Just amazing. One other cool thing is the how much and how far out the dirt gets blown around from the muzzle break. If you didn't notice, watch it again. That's cool too. Glad he didn't get hurt.

Not that it would have helped much, although I looked several times, I never could see that he was wearing shooting glasses.

Bet he does next time. :surprise: and as kevin c posted, "(and maybe to wear a cup and full face shield...)"

dj

Sighting in a new CZ American .17HMR, shooting across the hood of my car [parallel with windshield], the first [and only] round came back and went through the driver's side mirror, perpedicular [90 degrees] to the windshield. The bullet had to have made a complete circle which I can kind of understand because there were berms in front and to the side of me, but I have never figured out how it stayed intact having passed through my target, hit the back berm, traveled back in my direction 75 yards and hit the side berm to then travel right back at my car but exactly 90 degrees from the direction in which I was shooting. Had to have bounced off of rocks inside the dirt berm. I took the then brand new car to a glass shop where they replaced the mirror and filled the bullet hole in the plastic mirror body with black putty so I wouldn't have to explain a bullet hole to my wife. [it is real small but still visible but she's never noticed, although my kids did - I bribed them to keep quiet] And no, it's absolutely not possible that I shot the mirror directly as I've been accused by friends - I hit the target!

Good wake up call to make sure your steel is in good condition.

(and maybe to wear a cup and full face shield...)

Funny thing: many of the posters on the host forum responded "NEVER shoot at steel!" - I guess those folks don't shoot much USPSA/IPSC/IDPA/GSSF/SASS/SteelChallenge/3gun/multigun/Bianchi, which really makes you wonder:

-what DO they shoot?