Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Load for clays and 185 precision molys

Adam B

I have looked everywhere with little luck, I am sick of all of the smoke with titegroup so I am going to try out some clays with my 185gr Precision moly bullets. Does anyone have some good loads for an STI platform gun?

TIA

I have some load data at home, but most people are going to chime in and tell you Clays is not a good choice for .40..........

Edit: had spreadsheet here at work, too.

Here is the data using a 180, so you could back it down slightly.

4.4G Clays 180 MG JHP

935.2333333 168.342

STI Edge, loaded to 1.200................

Just FYI, I don't use this load.......... but I have shot it and it was ok. I chose to go with VV n320, a much safer load. :)

-Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

If you proceed witgh Clays, follow these 2 safety suggestions:

1) Load long. Really long. MINIMUM of 1.200" and you will likely be able to load out to 1.240" if your barrel is throated for it.

2) Stop any chance of set-back. Use the Lee brand U die or the EGW die ONLY. These dies will require the Hornady OneShot case spray that you are supposed to be using anyway (its in Brian's video).

Best of luck and please let us know how this load works out.

Start at 4.2 and chrono up. Second the U-die.

Clays is all I use for 40 major loads. I understand the consequences that I will face if I make a mistake. So long as I don't make a mistake nothing bad is going to happen and I think we could safely say that about a LOT more powders than just Clays.

If the purpose of trying Clays is to reduce smoke, is that really going to happen?

I'm thinking all powders faster than VV320 will produce more smoke with Molys.

I've shot 45acp (molybullets) with Clays and I'd say it's about as smokey as Titegroup.

YMMV

Just an addition to my earlier post--- I tried several loads to get away from smoke, absolutely HATED Titegroup/Precision combo--felt like a mosquito fogger. Tired the Clays load I listed, some WST, some 231, etc.....For my money, VV n320 and a 180 JHP bullet are the LEAST smokey combination I have found, after a bunch of experimenting.

-Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

How many guns must die...? :blink:

Nice one Benny! An accidental double charge of Clays will blow that gun sky high. Try loading Clays short and bad things will happen. And need I mention hot sunny days?

Boynty77: I forgot to add: there is an alterantive to Clays: Solo 1000

Solo 1000 is single base like the V V powders, it is as cheap as Clays, and there is plenty of published .40 data for it so its quite safe, and its listed on the charts as slightly faster burning than N320 (plus I don't think it will upset poor Benny as much as using Clays).

Clays is not a good choice for .40 - Really.

Neither is Red Dot, Green Dot, WST, or AA#2. It's just that ppl blow up their guns slightly less often with Clays than those others, so some consider that a good reason to use it.

If you don't want smoke, shoot JHPs. Go to a Ltd nationals and that's what most of the top 50 shooters will be using. Most of the rest will shoot FMJs or plated bullets.

Clays typically makes the LEAST accurate ammo that ever passes thru your gun, too.

Edited by eric nielsen

How many guns must die...? :blink:

Nice one Benny! An accidental double charge of Clays will blow that gun sky high. Try loading Clays short and bad things will happen. And need I mention hot sunny days?

Boynty77: I forgot to add: there is an alterantive to Clays: Solo 1000

Solo 1000 is single base like the V V powders, it is as cheap as Clays, and there is plenty of published .40 data for it so its quite safe, and its listed on the charts as slightly faster burning than N320 (plus I don't think it will upset poor Benny as much as using Clays).

I will look into that, thanks! Do you have any load data handy?

Edited by boynty77

Here is my range report, my chrono was on the fritz yesterday so I can't figure the exact power factor. There was a little less smoke from the Clays loads and the overall felt recoil was almost inentical from loads with N320, Clays and Titegroup. I cant verify if my Clays load would make major but my N320 and Titegroup loads were 172PF and the recoil was just about identical to each other. The Clays load I decided on was 4 gr and 1.20 OAL, no pressure signs at all from the Clays so I think I will play around with it some more, sorry Benny no dead gun today :D

It has to be close, from what I have seen you generally need .5 gain less powder to produce the same velocity with moly bullets as you would with copper jacketed. I am loading up 4.2 gr and will see what I can come up with.

Don't know whether you've considered Clays UNIVERSAL, but, 5.1-5.4 gr (under a 185 Moly to 180gr MT Gold jacketed, respectively), loaded to 1.170" OAL, gives me a nice, consistent, 169PF load out of my SVI...

To confirm what n2ipsc.....David at precision metioned Universal Clays.....saying that Clays, Univ Clays, and N320 where nearly all the same burning temperature. And the burning temperature being what controls the smoke. N310 and Titegroup burn just a little too hot.

Clays is not a good choice for .40 - Really.

Neither is Red Dot, Green Dot, WST, or AA#2. It's just that ppl blow up their guns slightly less often with Clays than those others, so some consider that a good reason to use it.

If you don't want smoke, shoot JHPs. Go to a Ltd nationals and that's what most of the top 50 shooters will be using. Most of the rest will shoot FMJs or plated bullets.

Clays typically makes the LEAST accurate ammo that ever passes thru your gun, too.

...absolute dittos

If you MUST you Clays, use his goofy little brother Universal Clays.

Jim