Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dangerous?

sledgee

I'm happy with the 3 3/4# trigger in my Springfield 1911. It's very crisp, and has never doubled.

I noticed the other day that a fairly hard pull on the trigger will drop the hammer from half-cock to fully down.

I know this isn't correct, but is it something I should be worried about? If so, why?

Thanks.

Joe

Actually, it is supposed to follow. Here is a response to the same question on pistolsmith.com.

"Yes, it's supposed to work that way.

Many 1911 derivatives no longer have an actual half-cock notch. It is just a ledge on the hammer and is intended ONLY to catch against the sear if somehow the hammer is knocked off of full-cock without pulling the trigger. There is no undercut notch to retain the sear like there used to be in real 1911s. It is not for carry or for storage or for anything but that one last-ditch guard against an AD. You should never end up in that position. If your hammer falls to that position during loading or firing there is probably something wrong with the hammer, sear, or searspring. If you put it there manually and were able to pull it off, it is not a sign of a defect, but there is no reason to ever put the hammer there in the first place. It isn't safe for carry and it isn't needed for disassembly or anything. There is no reason to engage a real half-cock notch, either. A loaded 1911 or derivative should be either cocked and locked (Condition 1) or magazine loaded, chamber empty (Condition 3). Hammer down on a loaded chamber (Condition 2) is a bit risky to get to and should be reserved for very special purposes. Manual engagement of half cock is totally unneeded and should not be used, no matter what Mike Hammer did. "

Hope this helps!

Marvin

If you do have a hammer the has a captive ledge in the "half-cock" (don't know about the Springfields), and it it will pull-thru, or bounce-over, the half-cock...then you need a new hammer. Don't let your smith cut a new notch.

(Kuhnhaussen, Vol I. ~pg.150)

Agreed. Some hammers do this and some don't (my STI hammers for example have a 'captive' half-cock notch). If yours is the type that's supposed to and doesn't, you have a problem inasmuch as you're missing a lot of metal.

My Wilson CQB has a captive half notch as well. I don't think that a 300lb Gorilla could pull the trigger hard enough to make the trigger fall - the bow would break off first! I don't have any experience with Springfield 1911's, but I could swear that my old Kimber had a captive half notch too??

I have to think pulling the trigger hard and trying to get the sear to go past the "lip" on the edge of the safety (half cock) notch has got to be bad for the sear nose. If you find the hammer at half cock, the best thing to do is unload, open the slide and check clear, then drop the hammer from full cock.