Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Shooting Boxes

Go to lowes, buy 3 ten foot pieces of 1/2 inch pvc for about a buck apiece. Get 8 right angle elbows for 88 cents each. Cut the pvc to 3 ft sections, insert the elbows, make the box.

Then, really work on movement drills.

I have made major movement breakthroughs in the last few days with these boxes. they are much better than imagining a spot on the floor or range.

My Australian Shepherd loves to bring me tennis balls to throw while I dry fire, so now I let her help me practice by bouncing the ball, then moving to the new box. She thinks the whole thing is for her amusement.

It also helps to run the drill without a gun, this allows focus on the footwork.

Good luck,

SA

We tried those out at our club this last year. They were nice because they were light and easy to store. The problem was they weren't very durable. Not sure if they make the thicker pvc that small but it could be an option.

Probably just the ticket for home practice though!!!

PVC boxes work well for club-use, but you need to use bigger diameter and/or thicker schedule pipe. 1/2" gets crushed and cracked too easily. Also, if you plan to disassemble yours for transport, be careful to keep sand and grit out of the joints or they become permanently welded.

Lynn, boxes can be very useful for training purposes as it can be hard to set up walls and other simulations in a short period of time. For matches there great for starting postions. I do kind of miss them sometimes though as it did make match set up much easier.

Take care,

• 6 years later...
(Necro post...)

So is 1" PVC sturdy enough alone?

I was thinking of maybe using expanding foam or even getting a bag of concrete and mixing it up with dirt and stuffing it into the tube to make them more sturdy. But no need if they are sturdy enough.

They're sturdy enough. I work in the automotive business so I fill the tubes with wheel weights. Just helps keep them from moving though, doesn't add any strength.

(Necro post...)

So is 1" PVC sturdy enough alone?

I was thinking of maybe using expanding foam or even getting a bag of concrete and mixing it up with dirt and stuffing it into the tube to make them more sturdy. But no need if they are sturdy enough.

I just glued mine together using Tough as Nails and they've held up fine. R,

Another option for the boxes. Cut your PVC pipe to length and using the PVC glue install one 90 degree elbow to each piece of PVC and drill the pipes about half way down their length so you can stake them down if needed. By not glueing the box together as a single unit they can be stored in a small duffle bag and assembled at the range, also makes them easier to take to the range. Just a thought.

Joe W.

Another option for the boxes. Cut your PVC pipe to length and using the PVC glue install one 90 degree elbow to each piece of PVC and drill the pipes about half way down their length so you can stake them down if needed. By not glueing the box together as a single unit they can be stored in a small duffle bag and assembled at the range, also makes them easier to take to the range. Just a thought.

Joe W.

Joe, If you will drill them in the corners on the 90's the material is a bit thicker and will stand up to "bubba" and his 4 pound hammer a bit better.

worked for me :cheers:

dj

Well went to hardware store... saw the 1" for $2.60 (and I thought "those things are huuuuuge")... saw the 1/2" for $1.16. Saw that the 3/4" and 1" were rated at 480 PSI... saw that the 1/2" was rated at 600 PSI... so I decided to just get the 1/2".

With the fittings it worked out to be about $2.50 per box. 2.5'x2.5'.

I bought glue but didn't use it. I don't think you need glue. To me it seems the press-fit is good enough.

Got them all assembled, set the boxes on top of concrete and put 220 lbs worth of angry Filipino on top... the 1/2" didn't crack.

I think if you really need to nail them down you can utilize pipe straps.

Pipe Strap

Drilling PVC = Crack City

"bubba" and his 4 pound hammer a bit better.

Heeeeeyyy....that is what I call my "gunsmithing" hammer. :ph34r:

I thought that was a Glock sight adjustment tool. :roflol:

dajarrel, You could do that but I just hate the idea of drilling a hole in an 90 cent connector. lol Yeah the corner would be stronger and likely last longer and a jig on the drill press would make the drilling much faster. :)

Joe W.