Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What power scope for 3-Gun

Dave1899

I am trying to find out what power rifle scope is allowed in 3-Gun competion. Is 4x the max or does it change with who ever is sponsoring the match?

I'm looking at rifle scopes and want to make sure I don't waste my $$$ on the wrong one. :surprise:

I am trying to find out what power rifle scope is allowed in 3-Gun competion. Is 4x the max or does it change with who ever is sponsoring the match?

I'm looking at rifle scopes and want to make sure I don't waste my $$$ on the wrong one. :surprise:

There is no limit. I run iron sights, but I understand that the key is to strike a balance between longer stages and close-up, hoser stages. Because of that most choose lower magnifications.

I don't believe any of the major 3 gun matches (IMGA, USPSA, etc.) has a power limitation on scopes. That did not use to be the case but thankfully we're beyond the dark days of maximum 4X or "approved" scopes. But you need to check the rules of any match that you are planning on attending to be sure.

High power scopes are not generally needed in 3 Gun and can actually be a hindrance with reduced fields of view. You want a variable in the 1-4 or 1.5-5X range or an ACOG TA11 on a tactical class rifle. For open class where you can have a dot for short range targets, a higher power scope may not be a bad idea.

My .02.. I've ben shooting a hile with a 1.5 x 5 (Tactical scoped).. and was thinking of a 1.5 x 8.

But the last few practice sessions has kind of got me into thinking 1x4 instead. I can ding the small Rams and Chickens at 200 pretty easily, even at 2x, and evem at 1.5x.

I think, on the whole use the 1.0 or 1.1 scopes would help better with the close stuff, and actuallt sped my total time up.

The only time, I wished I had higher power is shooting new loads for groups (ok, for those 650 and 500 targets at Iron Man, it would have been nice too - next year, I'll bring a different rifle)

Oh, and back on topic:

I have a leupold cqt that is 1-3x and it served me well... The three gun matches I have been to have not really had any great ranges- 100 is the max. Of course I have only been to one three gun match. :D

I love being able to zoom in as needed, but I really dont see much use in more magnification. Sure there are plenty of matches out there with longer ranges than the one I have been to, but if it is that much further away, it is going to be a slow shot anyway. If you cant see it in 3x then it must be a LONG way away!

;)

C