Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge or Tactical in 9mm

aggunner

I have a Tactical that I use for Law Enforcement. I used it in a few matches till I got a custom gun.

It is nice to shoot other than the 5.5 pound trigger. The light rail is nice also, but if you are going to use it for plinking, that is an expensive plinking gun. You cannot use it in IDPA because of the light rail. The Edge would be more customizable.

Redwoods

I have a Tactical that I use for Law Enforcement. I used it in a few matches till I got a custom gun.

It is nice to shoot other than the 5.5 pound trigger. The light rail is nice also, but if you are going to use it for plinking, that is an expensive plinking gun. You cannot use it in IDPA because of the light rail. The Edge would be more customizable.

Redwoods

would you still reccomend the edge if I had no desire to shoot IDPA?

You cannot use it in IDPA because of the light rail. The Edge would be more customizable.

Redwoods

The edge is not IDPA legal. The Tactical 5.0 is not IDPA legal either but only becuase of the bull barrel. There is no ban on light rails only a ban on full length dust covers.

I would go with the edge given your two suggestions b/c it is cheaper and it has adjustable sights.

I have a custom made eagle in 9 and I love that thing. I dont see a need for a long dust cover with the 9 but hey if you want it you should get it.

You cannot use it in IDPA because of the light rail. The Edge would be more customizable.

Redwoods

The edge is not IDPA legal. The Tactical 5.0 is not IDPA legal either but only becuase of the bull barrel. There is no ban on light rails only a ban on full length dust covers.

I would go with the edge given your two suggestions b/c it is cheaper and it has adjustable sights.

I have a custom made eagle in 9 and I love that thing. I dont see a need for a long dust cover with the 9 but hey if you want it you should get it.

I was also looking at the eagle, why do you like it over the edge and tactical?

I have an Edge in 9mm and it is indeed very nice to shoot!

When I bought it the Tactical looked cool, but I have no need for a light rail and the Edge was 'cheaper'.

Btw, it shoots insanely flat with 115 grain bullets, it feels like a Colt Ace on steroids ;-)

I was also looking at the eagle, why do you like it over the edge and tactical?

Well I got the eagle-like gun so I could shoot IDPA. However, I think that the extended dust cover is not needed with 9mm. I also think the lower weight balances and transitions better as well. As for the tactical I prefer adjustable sights and I have no use for a light rail (I do think it looks really cool though).

To me it would be between the edge and the eagle. It all depends on wich one feels better to you.

Austinkroe was right about the light rail, I guess I remember something a few years ago when they first came out. My Tactical is probably just like the edge but with a light rail. I have an adjustable sight on it called the STI TAS (tactical adjustable sight).

You need to look at what you want the pistol for....To shoot in matches (IDPA, USPSA, 3gun, etc), to just target practice with, or to use as a practice gun to shoot 9mm which is cheaper to shoot than 45.

If you are looking to buy it just to practice with, I would get one with adjustable sights and probably the cheaper one. If you think you would ever shoot a match with it, then get the one that you would want for the match shooting.

Both the Tactical and Edge and Eagle all have the same grip and mag release. They will feel the same in your hand other than the weight up front. The Eagle will be lightest up front because of the bushing barrel and short dust cover. Some guys like the lighter weight up front nowadays.

Your best option is to find a match or store where you can hold and maybe shoot one. If you don't already have an STI, I would get the Edge.

Redwoods

I have an Edge in 9mm. I added an Extreme Engineering trigger kit and Aftec and it has been a total blast to shoot. Next to no recoil and cheap to feed. Cost a little less than the Tactical, my vote is for the Edge.

GeneralChang,

What recoil spring do you use???

I have an Edge in 9mm. I added an Extreme Engineering trigger kit and Aftec and it has been a total blast to shoot. Next to no recoil and cheap to feed. Cost a little less than the Tactical, my vote is for the Edge.

GeneralChang,

What recoil spring do you use???

8lb recoil spring, very flat shooting. Here's a non pro out of focus photo.

post-746-1182521950.jpg

Edited by GeneralChang

I have a SV 9mm with a short dust cover and bushing barrel that I had built for IDPA. If you put a tungsten GR in the weight is about the same as a full dust cover gun. You can also get a .40 barrel for it and use it for a Limited gun.

I have a SV 9mm with a short dust cover and bushing barrel that I had built for IDPA. If you put a tungsten GR in the weight is about the same as a full dust cover gun. You can also get a .40 barrel for it and use it for a Limited gun.

Doing it that way makes a lot of sense. Even if you don't plan on shooting IDPA or USPSA...or Steel Challenge...or NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup. Having a gun of this level and price, it makes sense to keep your options open for the future. It also makes the gun more marketable, should you desire to sell it at some point.

If there is a slight chance you think you might need the rail, get the tactical. I like the look of the tactical but I knew I'd never use the rail. I already had a custom Edge in 40 but most of the matches I shoot are 3 gun or steel so I decided to have a 9mm upper made and I'm very happy with that decision. The bullets are a cheaper than 40s and it is extremely flat and a blast to shoot. Here's a picture of mine.

post-2477-1182527000.jpg

I have a fairly large collection of pistols/custom pistols in various calibers and just got a Dawson Edge in .40 S&W. I have never shot a pistol that is that easy to shoot. I am amazed at the way it shoots. My next gun will be an Edge in 9 mm.

Yep, I vote for the Edge.

Buddy

I would just get an Eagle in .40. You can use it for both IPSC and IDPA. A .40 can be made to shoot softer than a 9mm. You don't have the feeding issues with a .40 that can be a problem with a 9mm. I sold a STI, that I built, a couple of months ago. Brownells carries a SS magwell that will fit into the IDPA box. If you need more weight up front for Limited just add a tungsden guide rod. I also added a regular steel main spring housing from a 1911 for additional weight.

A friend of mine in Va. has a new one I built him with 5 mag's for sale cheap, 9mm, [contact me for his name and phone number]

looks like i might end up with a benny hill gun for my first wide body :cheers: