Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best revo mods for 11 year old in 686+

ffl

My 11 year old was given an 686+ 6" barrel. I have had several suggestions as to what I should do to it. They inlcude

1. Send to Randy Lee for a trigger Job

2. Get a Ti cylinder

I plan on doing both. However, I want to start him out on light loads (120PF for ICORE Matches), I saw alot of people shooting 38 short colt, 38 spl, and 357 mag. at the IRC. 357 is out too much power.

I am leaning toward 38 Short Colt or 38 spl. i

Here are my questions

1. What Caliber is recommended

2. thoughts on Ti Cylinders

3. can 38 spl cylinders fire 38 short colts

4. are the moon clips and cylinder cut downs different for 38 sc vs 38 spl.

any help would be appreaciated

David

Edited by ffl

Hi David. Pleasure to meet you at the match.

You also need to cut the cylinder for moon clips.

I shoot 38 Colt Short it my 627. I won C open so I guess they are not too bad.

There were some threads here on loads for 38 CS that helped me determin my final load.

They reload much faster than the long 38 special brass.

I use Starline brass and the Hearthco moonclips with Ranier 158 plated bullets.

Bob Hunt

Since the loading manuals are replete with .38 special loads in the range you need, and I really don't see the advantage of .38 Short over .38 Special, I'd get it cut for moonclips, stock up on whatever brand of .38 brass best fits the moons, and practice, practice, practice.

A good trigger job would be nice. If Jr. takes to being a revolvolero, you/he will be moving up from a 686 soon enough, and then you can spend the money on a high-zoot wheelgun.

I am with Patrick on this, they're a number of loads that will work for an 11 yr old boy in 38 brass. Yes have it cut for moon clips and practice practice practice.

A good trigger job would be a great help and worth the money even for you.

No one addressed the Ty cylinder so I will. I feel it will add to the recoil so let him stay stock. As for a trigger job, learning with the full weight springs will assist in developing proper trigger pull for the DA he will need. If he already has that, try a spring kit first before spending all that cash on action work. He will outgrow the gun and want better. Spend the extra cash on ammo.

PM your address and I will put together a spring kit for you to install. It will be a starting point.

Regards,

Gary

Hey David,

I was glad to be there when "Little FFL" was given that revolver--pretty cool moment--what a look he had on his face! :)

Can you even find a Ti cylinder for a 7-shot L-frame? Either way, I wouldn't bother with that. A good action job would sure be a help, though. Randy's definitely the best, but since he's pretty backed up with work, I'd be happy to tune up the action on your son's gun, if you would like. My fee would be one cold beer (provided by you, not the kid!) the next time we have a match weekend together.

I like the .38 Short Colt idea. I shoot 3.2 of Titegroup behind a 145-gr. Bushwhacker brand RNL (available from Powder Valley and perhaps elsewhere). They do make for faster reloads, particularly in good (Hearthco) moonclips.

My 11 year old was given an 686+ 6" barrel. I have had several suggestions as to what I should do to it. They inlcude

1. Send to Randy Lee for a trigger Job

2. Get a Ti cylinder

I plan on doing both. However, I want to start him out on light loads (120PF for ICORE Matches), I saw alot of people shooting 38 short colt, 38 spl, and 357 mag. at the IRC. 357 is out too much power.

I am leaning toward 38 Short Colt or 38 spl. i

Here are my questions

1. What Caliber is recommended

2. thoughts on Ti Cylinders

3. can 38 spl cylinders fire 38 short colts

4. are the moon clips and cylinder cut downs different for 38 sc vs 38 spl.

any help would be appreaciated

David

Ok, here are answers from a dad who started his almost 11 yr old on a 686p.

1. I like 38 special for my son Alden, I shoot 627's in 38 special so making more ammo isn't a big deal.

2. I love my Ti cylinder... BUT, the 6" barrel on the 686P is already a bit barrel heavy in balance. I opted to go to a 4" barrel and stay with the steel cylinder for my son. The balance is awesome!

3. Yes, I was out shot by more than a few shooters with SC's at last weekends IRC, In theory they would load faster into the cylinder.

4. ?? Not sure on the last. I just asked Hearth for a bunch of 7 shot clips and they all fit fine.

Having the cylinder cut for moons is a big thing. There are several shops out there that can do the work. I had Randy Lee cut mine @ Apex Tactical. Another big thing is definitely lightening the trigger for hands with less muscle. Keep in mind that you will probably be needing to be hand loading ammo after the trigger job depending on how light it goes. Also you will also need a grip that fits well for smaller hands. I had Hogue build one for my son, they just needed a hand tracing faxed to them in order to get the sizing right.

The load I had my son shooting was 3.7 Bullseye under a 158 moly bear creek bullet, it made 126 pf.

I hope this helps, my son is now 13 and heavily rebelling by shooting a bottom feeder..... I'm hoping he out grows that stage though.

:rolleyes:

Dave Wilson

FFL,

No matter what the gun, I found a good training tip for a young guy who might be lacking some of the arm strength to hold up a gun for a tough day of practice. Although I don't know the size of your son this might help someone out there.

I took my son to the Masters in 1989 when he was 9. When he would shoot different handguns, his arms would get tired and he would bend his elbows and bring the gun closer to his face.

One of the guys running the class took a folding chair and turned it around. Then had him put his legs through the opening and sit backwards. The back was the perfect height to support his ams, and then it was no longer a test of strength. This allowed him to use the sights and work on sight picture. It also allowed shooting to be fun for him, because of the success he saw.

Good Luck to him (and your budget)!

David,

It was good seeing you at both Bianchi & IRC, I think I remember someone saying Juniors were allowed to run 100pf loads for Icore???? If so might be a good stepping stone rather than titanium cylinders and such.

My suggestion would be trigger job, moonclip and if the 6" barrel was too heavy go with a 4", however the longer sight radius would be easier to learn on if the weight wasn't too much of an issue.

If the 100 pf rule for juniors applies I was running a 115 grain pill at 900fps for steel challenge and was as soft as a .22 to shoot. Gradually increase the load to 120 pf as he gets older.

Cheers Ryan

Edited by 8shooter

Thanks for all you replies. I will consider them all. When my son starts shooting it I will post pictures and such.

Thanks

David & Louis

David, It was good to meet you at the KS Sectional. My .02$

I like the short colt. It does make a difference to me and people that have tried it. Quicker out and in. The only downside is that the brass is expensive, but it lasts for ever, and you are using moons, so you get it back! You will need to use Hearthco moons for it, but we blow more money on less important things in life.

Biggest thing at this point is get a light reliable trigger, get the cylinder cut for moons, and get him out to the range to bust some caps!

Good luck,

DougC

David,

It was good seeing you at both Bianchi & IRC, I think I remember someone saying Juniors were allowed to run 100pf loads for Icore???? If so might be a good stepping stone rather than titanium cylinders and such.....(snip)

Cheers Ryan

I was talking to Derek Zevada at the IRC and in the local monthly matches they were letting the younguns use the lower powerfactor. But there is nothing in the rules to allow the 100 pf for Juniors. Unless the allowed manufactured ammo is making the 100 pf. :rolleyes: Good luck Dave N Louis

When we get the gun back from being worked over by MC we are going to shoot the ICORE match in Tontitown again, Maybe monthly Who Knows?

Louis can't wait it is all he can talk about.

david

My son started shooting USPSA and ICORE when he was 10 or 11. He uses a 4" GP100 shooting .38 spl. Since I shoot the same loads, we make certain they make minor pf. In fact, he got upset when I first started him on sub-minor loads. The truth is that in a nice, heavy gun like an L frame or a GP, minor pf is very manageable for a young boy. I haven't cut his gun for moon clips because he can reload with his Comp IIIs almost as fast as I can reload my 627 with moon clips. Of course, he isn't Bubber-fast yet, but he honestly is getting there. Lots of practice can overcome most of the moonclip advantage for a kid. Must be video game practice?

While he could shoot my 6" GP, he still prefers the 4" with the small factory grips. Last night, at the local USPSA match, he darn near shot a clean match. Good luck to you and your son, and I hope to see you in Tontitown sometime.

Hey David,

I was glad to be there when "Little FFL" was given that revolver--pretty cool moment--what a look he had on his face! :)

Can you even find a Ti cylinder for a 7-shot L-frame? Either way, I wouldn't bother with that. A good action job would sure be a help, though. Randy's definitely the best, but since he's pretty backed up with work, I'd be happy to tune up the action on your son's gun, if you would like. My fee would be one cold beer (provided by you, not the kid!) the next time we have a match weekend together.

I like the .38 Short Colt idea. I shoot 3.2 of Titegroup behind a 145-gr. Bushwhacker brand RNL (available from Powder Valley and perhaps elsewhere). They do make for faster reloads, particularly in good (Hearthco) moonclips.

Mike,

Since Rich donated the gun, and you have volunteered to do some action work for a beer, not to mention a nice word about my products! I will donate the first 20 moons for one beer also. FFL- Just send me an email with your contact info. Dave :cheers:

PS- Let me know what brass you decide on.

Edited by hearthco

I will donate the first 20 moons for one beer also.

Dave, very nice move! In a few years, Louis can probably sell off a few of those Hearthco moonclips and pay for a few semesters of college! ;) (You know I wouldn't tease if your moonclips weren't the best around.)

I had a Ti cylinder on one of my 625s and did not like it. They get extremely hot and with mine the brass would stick when trying to eject the moonclip.

Hi Jaxshooter

Did you overcome the sicking brass problem with your Ti cylinder, and if so, what did you do?

Rich

We will be there as soon as the gun us back and I get loads for it.

The action work is all done, and it came out pretty frickin' sweet. Sam shot a 686+ for awhile at steel matches when he was about Louis' age. I showed him Louis' gun, and Sam commented that he liked the 6" barrel, said it's pretty cool!

I'm going to give it a good thorough test-fire over the weekend, and ship it out Monday morning.

Mike,

I just got the revolver, WHAT A GREAT JOB. Louis will be pleased. Now all I have to do is machine it for moon clips after I get them in from Hearthco.

Louis shot with us at Bone Creek and he did not do to bad. He really wanted to shoot the revo though and since you had is he was bummed out. He shot his mom's 1911 and did ok.

Doug C. was sending me some brass and other stuff as well. Can't wait to get the moons and stuff to get it completly set up for Louis.

Louis has already written the thank you's and they are going out tomorrow.

David

Good deal, David. Everybody around here has always been so generous with Sam, I'm happy I was able to "reciprocate" by assisting another junior shooter into the realm of the revolver, at least in a small way. And it does my heart good to know that in just a couple years, somebody else's 13-year-old will be sitting on a barstool in Quincy, chasing skirts with Cliff Walsh. ;)

• 1 month later...