Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Tactical shotgun, div MAx rounds?

M ammo

I’m new to this forum, but not new to 3 Gun,

I have not shot USPSA 3 gun. I have shot tactical matches. And I started 3 Gun at our Club, in Texas; we have been shooting them for 5 years now, we have our own rules, so I am, not up to speed on all of the USPSA rules.

My question is about shotgun, in the Tactical division. How many rounds are allowed in your shotgun? I can’t seem to get an answer.

I have 7 and 1 now. And want to know if I need to make any adjustments. To be leagal, and be able to keep up with the USPSA 3 gun. Folks,

Thanks M ammo

Noah nailed the rule. The key is how fast you can get the next eight in.

That is no lie,,, I have to see if I can, do that four in the left hand. and plug them in that way. It looks fast, but maybe not for me... the weak hand is,,,, dumb too.

I'll have to put together some 12ga dummy loads and see what I can do with that technique.

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to get 2.5" shells into the gun is not really worth it, look up Nordic Components, and order a new mag tube. or PM, Tim aka TRUBL. Get one that will allow you one more round in the gun than the rules allow, so that should an empty gun start be required, you still can get 9 into the gun to start. most rules for other matches simply state round capacity at the start of the COF, and do not require the gun to be plugged for only 8 in the tube.

Trapr

The ability to get 2.5" shells into the gun is not really worth it, look up Nordic Components, and order a new mag tube. or PM, Tim aka TRUBL. Get one that will allow you one more round in the gun than the rules allow, so that should an empty gun start be required, you still can get 9 into the gun to start. most rules for other matches simply state round capacity at the start of the COF, and do not require the gun to be plugged for only 8 in the tube.

Trapr

I'm new to this, type of forum, and I'm not sure how to get hold of Tim aka TRUBL. To buy the right tube.

I do like your 9 round, comment, it makes sense. With the buck shot I use, they are a little longer, and I get one less in with them.

Another question. I’ve said before, I'm not new to 3 gun,, but new to USPSA 3 gun, what is the shot size limit for USPSA?

I usually go with, bird, 00 Buck, and slugs that have covered all my needs.

I signed up to shoot the Nationals. And I want to try and have all the bases covered.

A popper at 30+ yards. With bird,,,, ?? You know what I mean.

M ammo

M Ammo, Trubl, is a forum member, go to your messages site and send him a PM, (personal message)

Choke will determine how well your shot size does on poppers at any range, I generally use 7.5 shot, Rem shurshot 1 1/8oz, low recoil slugs, and when a COF requires it,..... buckshot. I also try to carry 50 rds of max dram #4's, occasionally you'll have a stage that has stubborn poppers, some folks use #4 buck, but some matches will not allow buckshot. For poppers at 30 yards with no other close targets, i'd use lt mod. or mod. choke. I can take a full size popper down out to 40yds with 7.5's and Imp. Mod. choke.

I don't know what the shot requirements are going to be for the match, the range and USPSA kinda have to figure that one out.

Trapr

One thing to remember about USPSA....when they say 8+1......they mean just that. you can not EVER stick 9 in the tube during a course of fire (or you get an invite to OPEN class). This is different than IMGA rules.....where sometimes, you can load 9 in the tube, empty chamber, or after the buzzer goes load up as many as you want.

That being said......yes get a tube that will hold 9 rounds in the tube (+5 for remington, +6 for benelli) THEN, when you go to a USPSA match....stick a plug in the tube to limit you to 8+1. This will save your spring if you use a plug that goes inside the spring (like the factory plug does). I hate to see springs go to solid height as they wear out REALLY fast that way.

Hope this helps ya!!

Tim

PS......a 2 3/4" trap load may very well measure 2 1/2" in length before you shoot it......that 2 3/4" number is the length of the shell AFTER you get the lead out!!!

Edited by TRUBL

If you use a benelli, you can get 8 in the mag & ghost load one onder the carrier for 9 total if you start with an empty gun. Everything else is only 8.

Thanks,, that keeps me right. I have the DVD from Matt Burkett. The shotgun one,, and they were talking about, barrel length, and how far the tube can, be out past the barrel.. And it got more confusing from their.

I have an M-1 Benelli.

After talking to Mark O from your shop,, he says you have everything.

Do you have, the tube I need?

M ammo

One thing to remember about USPSA....when they say 8+1......they mean just that. you can not EVER stick 9 in the tube during a course of fire (or you get an invite to OPEN class). This is different than IMGA rules.....where sometimes, you can load 9 in the tube, empty chamber, or after the buzzer goes load up as many as you want.

That being said......yes get a tube that will hold 9 rounds in the tube (+5 for remington, +6 for benelli) THEN, when you go to a USPSA match....stick a plug in the tube to limit you to 8+1. This will save your spring if you use a plug that goes inside the spring (like the factory plug does). I hate to see springs go to solid height as they wear out REALLY fast that way.

Hope this helps ya!!

Tim

PS......a 2 3/4" trap load may very well measure 2 1/2" in length before you shoot it......that 2 3/4" number is the length of the shell AFTER you get the lead out!!!

Ok 8 and 1... I just watched the DVD from Matt Burkett.

In the video, he talked about many, rules, from different, organizations.

I signed up to go to the 3 gun Nationals, a USPSA event.

And I’m getting my equipment, right to meet their rules, (it’s kind of a pain in the *&^%$)

Do you know of any rule about how long the mag extension, can go out past the end of the barrel? I have heard different stories.

Good info for a number of matches:

http://www.3gunrules.com/

USPSA Rules

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/

7. Magazine length restrictions No

Like for the Iron Man:

Current:

5.5.3 Magazine tube length shall not be changed for the duration of the match. (Nothing longer than 48" will be allowed!)

Old rules, these have been stricken..

5.6.3 Barrel length may not exceed 22 inches. Delete. LIMITED will load a maximum of 8+1 rounds to start.

5.6.8 Magazine tubes may not extend more than one inch (1.00 inch) past the muzzle DELETE

Moral is.. you need to check for each match

If you use a benelli, you can get 8 in the mag & ghost load one onder the carrier for 9 total if you start with an empty gun. Everything else is only 8.

Hey Benny I got the Tube,, Thanks,,, fast delivery as well.

The tube extends about 3 1/4 inch last the end of the barrel.

Shooting Tactical, or limited, am I legal for the nationals.

With the rules at our Club,, we don't car how many rounds fit in the tube, When I write the stage you only get the load 2 to 4 rounds, to start, after the buzzer, it's all you.

I get much love :ph34r: for some of the stages, I put people through.

Thanks for the rifle tips too.

Jim M ammo