Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Revolver Shooter of All time

tightloop

Jerry M is close, but Ed McGivern has to have been the best ever.  6 shots in .4 at 15 feet covered with the outline of your hand!  One hand, both hands, aerial targets, behind the back, close and fast, out to 600 yards, he could do it all.

Quote: from IPSC CHIK1 on 12:47 am on Dec. 17, 2002

Ed never had to shoot a match against Jerry.  he would lose.

SharonAnne L2387

I think

If Ed could shoot a match against Jerry,

he would like to win. But could lose.

Greetings

Adrie

Jerry is the best competition shooter, no doubt.  I just don't think Jerry can do all the Ed could do.

Go to a book store and get a copy of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, and thumb thru it and then let me know what you think.

No votes for Bill Jordan, none for Bill Hickock, none for Alex Zimmerman, I am surprised

ed did self starting, left hand on the timer switch. some have said he started to pull the trigger before he activated the timer.  and he NEVER had to put it to the test of an electronic timer, something Jerry does all the time.

SharonAnne L2387

PS, remember how claims of 0.5 second reloads disappeared with the coming of electronic timers???

IPSC Chik1

McGivern's .4 superspeed strings were electronically timed by a third person. He did not have his finger on the GO button.  It would be questionable if he only did it once, at the range by himself.  He did it many times, always in front of witnesses and electronically timed by a 3rd party.  They were a self start situation, but even so...6 in less that .5 second.  What are the splits of TGO, .11, if he self started he might do it, but not with a revolver.

Think about that.

Ed McGivern was the best exhibition shooter of all times. I used to shoot at the club where he set his record and I have seen the timing equipment that he used. The equipment was very crude and the start and stop was questionable. It is impossible to know just how fast he really was.

On the other hand, Jerry is the very best competition (IPSC) revolver shooter on the planet. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Jerry is a helluva revolver shooter and a great guy and it is very hard to compare, but my vote has to go with ol' Ed.  Some of the things in the book are just too amazing.  Multiple aerial targets with two guns, and then my favorite:  5 dusted targets in the air at one time.  The photographer set up to take the shot, and squeezed the shutter when he heard the gunfire erupt.  5 dusted aerial targets hanging in the air...  Amazing.   And Ed didn't like to brag.  When the rumor went around that he could shoot buckshot out of the air, he flatly denied it.  He shot liver pills, because they turned to dust, he said.  And he could tape over a washer and shoot a hole through the middle of the tape, knock corks out of bottles without breaking the bottle (very difficult he stated due to the unbalanced "wobble" of the bottle in the air).  As tightloop mentioned when he started this thread, Ed could do it both hands, long range, aerial, speed, multiple guns, you name it.  His book is not the greatest shooting book I have ever read, but it is full of good stuff and things that will amaze.  

• 3 weeks later...

I think one of the most amazing things in Ed's book is when he tells us he shoots by poking the gun forward at each shot.  There's even a picture in the book that shows how to do it.  Isn't that interesting, that he could shoot fast and accurately doing it that way.  Maybe that is the forgotten secret!

Anybody out there tried it?

A better comparison would be between Ed and Bob Munden. I think if Jerry put his time in practicing an exhibition he would be as impressive as Ed. Not to take anything away from Ed.  It's just hard for me to compare exhibition shooters to the best comp shooters. I've seen a well known exhibition shooter try his hand at competition, not too impressive, but I've seen the top dog comp shooters but on a hell of an exhibition.

Who's the best revolver shooter of all time? Might be Jack Weaver, oh you didn't know he shot revolver?

THE GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS

" The greatest rapid-fire feat. Ed McGivern fired two times from 15 ft., five shots which could be covered by a silver half-dollar piece in 45/100's of a second at the Lead Club Range, South Dakota, August 20, 1932."

This is on the back cover of Ed's book with pictures showing the groups. In each of the 2 groups, 4 shots are nearly touching and the 5th is a "flyer". All the shots are entirely in the circles drawn around the silver half dollars. (can anyone tell me the diameter of a silver half dollar?).

Even given the limitations of the timing methods, that is some shooting.

Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=20#reader-link

• 3 weeks later...

I think the guy to watch out for is Rudi Waldinger.  He came out of no where to place third at the Revo Championships two years in a row.  He placed second at the factory nationals last year and lost to Jerry in the man on man by 2/100 of a second!  He is a great teacher and very unassuming and doesn't get the respect he deserves.  In fact, the third place finisher at the factory nationals Rich Bitow got more press than Rudi did on the basis of his quick reloads!

But watch out for Rudi!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My vote is for another guy from Mesa. Mike Henry. Mike does not shoot now; however, when he did it was poetry in motion. I never watched anyone that was a smooth with reloads and getting on target. I don't know how he would do against the hot guys now but when he was on a roll he was unbeatable. Besides that he wore a cool hat. Sometimes shot his Python upside down just to please the crowd using his little finger to stoke the trigger. Never heard about Ed or Jerry doing that.

I would have to make my next choice Bill Jordan mainly because he did a lot of his fancy shooting with people shooting back. That has to be another world entirely. Besides I never had the pleasure of meeting the man but I know people that did and said he was one of the best with or without a gun in his hand. Hope the matches in heaven are as much fun as here.