Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147grn FMJ 9mm minor loads

fryeg7

i have been using moly-lead bullets, but just got some star 147grn FMJ to use for USPSA production minor.

anyone have any special recipes for this bullet, 3N37 or Unique, and an SP01?

thanks in advance.

frye

i bought them from someone who sells reloading supplies locally at matches, so who knows how long they've been sitting around for.

here's another question that may make my search for starting loads simpler: taking OAL differences into consideration (i.e. assuming we're dealing with the same case volume with the bullet seated), are FMJ and HP jacketed ammo loads interchangeble?

frye

Can you post a link to Star bullets please? My Google searches have come up empty other than "Star" has gone out of business.

They closed shop about 2 years ago.

Oh. So I did have the right "Star". Thanks!

3.6 VVN320 behind a 147 zero fmj long loaded to 1.71 gives me 135 PF out of an M&P 9mm. Waiting for steel to fall sucks.

Ken

1.71 sounds a tad long for 9x19... <_<

It barely fits in the magazine.

Ken

3.6 VVN320 behind a 147 zero fmj long loaded to 1.71 gives me 135 PF out of an M&P 9mm. Waiting for steel to fall sucks.

Ken

1.71 sounds a tad long for 9x19... <_<

It barely fits in the magazine.

Ken

Wow, that has to be a pretty long bullet, or some very out of spec 9mm brass :D

That's pretty impressive. How do you alter the space-time continum? 1.71" round in a mag tube that measures about 1.2" on the outside.

I'm guessing it was a typo, and he meant 1.17". Either that, or he has a left-handed mag stretcher. :D

Edited by revchuck

I have used 3.4 gr. Titegroup or 4.0 gr. WSF with WSP and the 147 gr. Star FMJ.

i have been using moly-lead bullets, but just got some star 147grn FMJ to use for USPSA production minor.

anyone have any special recipes for this bullet, 3N37 or Unique, and an SP01?

thanks in advance.

frye

I run 3.55 grains N320 loaded to 1.155" in my 226ST. It gets me about 130 PF. I have gone lower (it meters very well and gets standard deviations of aroun 9 fps) but I was having trouble making every piece of steel fall.

3.2 grains Titegroup OAL 1.150 Hornady TMJ 147gr - PF 135

3.1 grain TG OAL 1.090 (industry std) Hornady TMJ 147gr - PF 133

I stopped reloading and have been buying Atlanta Arms 147gr HP reload (their newly loaded version of same as used by Team Glock and the Army Marksmanship Unit in some applications). I dont know what bullets (they look like Zero) or what powder they use, but they roll and super clean all brass eliminating extraction problems, great ammo, good price - $150-ish for 2,000.

TY

Jon

Edited by jkushner1