Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Vs 1050 With Straight Wall Pistol Cases

Hello all,

I've had my decked out XL650 for 8 months now reloading 45 LC for CAS. It took a few sessions for me to get the press all adjusted right and my reloading motions correct, but I now load close to 100% error free (NEVER had any powder drop issues). For months I've ran with less than 1 error in 150 rounds loaded. It has been a $1,050 well spent (I do have almost all options, including Uniquetek Micrometer).

So what advantages would I see in a 1050 for reloading a straght wall pistol case in a single caliber? Thanks

It looks very cool, and if you end up needing /or wanting to load 600 rounds the night before a match = you wont be tired form it when you get ...older...

The primer will seat better when you load , alot or late at night.

Oh did I say it sounds cool to say - B) On My 1050 - I just keep it setup for my match loads B)

<_< I fitted an aluminum roller handel on -My 1050- :rolleyes: see its even fun to write ;)

So what advantages would I see in a 1050 for reloading a straght wall pistol case in a single caliber? Thanks

1000+ rounds an hour, single throw stokes (primers seat in their own station no push to seat) and add the KISS bullet feeder and 2000+ an hour is easy ( if you can keep the BEAST FED)

The 1050 series does not require you to lift the handle to seat the primer (the other Dillon presses do). That's because it first swages the primer pocket to remove any crimp or other deformities, and next employes a mechanical pivoting arm to seat the primer. This provides a very consistent priming depth in the case, without additional motion or effort. When you pull down on the handle, among all the other things going on, it primes the case.

This results in less work for the user, and consistent primer seating depth, with less effort. THAT is the true advantage of a 1050, and why it is faster, and easier, to use (you're not reversing thrust to seat the primer on every stroke of the handle).

I have 2 of them, and recommend saving the few extra dollars to get the best. That's a harder and less-immediately satisfying route, but worth the wait.

Priming is el numero uno why to get a 1050. Personally, if I shot a DA revo, the 1050 would be the only press I'd consider. Guaranteed primer depth every time...

;) ....especially with the Fed primer shortage right now........

For me my 1050s save me time. period. That is my most precious commodity right now. I dont know how to put a price on that, but when I still need to load ammo and have life in the way I know in about an hour I can have at least 1000 rounds loaded, ready to shoot. I hope never to have to go back to the herky jerky (to Me) 650 having to stop on the upside and prime, but that is because I have been spoiled with the 1050....

DougC

I really like my 1050. It wasn't perfect when it arrived, and I substituted dies from other manufacturers to address the primer piercing problems I was having. But it now has about 3000 rounds on it, and it is flawless.

If I ever decided to change over to another caliber, I would suffer for it. The press is unlike the 650 which allows a quick change on the toolhead and such. It is very involved to change over to another caliber, which is one of the really important reasons I haven't done it yet.

It is worth what I paid for it to do what I bought it for, load tons of 40 cal. Very much indeed worth it. I wouldn't feel any particular desire to get one had I already a 650 on hand.