Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glacial Speeds From Iwb Holster - Will This Get Better?

FrancisB

Hello All,

I've dabbled off and on with competitive shooting; several years ago I did a few steel and local IPSC matches (I live in PDX, OR). One of my friends has gotten interested in competing, and I'm at a point where I have a bit of time and money to devote to shooting sports so I thought I'd try to stick with it for more than a few weeks.

Today I went out to the range, and practiced drawing from an IWB (Sparks VMII), and firing my 1911. Wow, ~1.2 seconds to 1.7 @ 10 yards (if I really wanted to see the sight picture clearly). I figured I was slow, but having recently gotten a timer, I had no idea how slow...

2 questions.

- how much quicker would a competition holster be?

- assuming I dry fire 20 minutes / day, and follow the routines in Steve Anderson's book, how quickly can I expect to see noticeable improvement

- what would be a 'good' time for drawing and firing from an IWB holster?

- suggestions for a holster that would be OK for limited, limited 10, and possibly steel matches? I'm interested in using my single stack 1911 for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, guess that's 4 questions...

If you can consistently do 1.2 from an IWB, you are good to go. A foo-foo holster (and practice) can get you below 1.0 at 10 yards. They key to any of this, of course, is being able to do it ON DEMAND....again and again.

FY42385

I don't think that 1.2 out of an IWB holster is all that slow. The big thing is being able to repeat it, and that's going to be hard with an IWB since it's nearly impossible to get a really good grip every time due to it being so close to the body. Anything under 1.0 from that sort of rig would be pretty sporting, it would seem.

Since it sounds like you're still testing the waters a little bit, I wouldn't suggest going out and buying any expensive, specialized gear yet. I don't own one, but I'd suggest a Blade-Tech DOH (dropped, offset, holster) for your 1911. I'm thinking of getting one as a backup for my fru-fru holster (which I love). You'll probably see a couple of tenths faster draw, on average, with a DOH compared to your IWB, and much greater repeatability since you'll get a good grip nearly every time. The DOH is only a little bit slower than the fastest race holster out there and one half to one third the price...it won't hold you back at all and would be fine for Limited, Limited-10 and steel matches. The good thing is that there are lots of people that would buy it from you if you decide it's not your cup of tea :)

Good input all, thankyou.

I should point out 1.2 was the exception, rather than the rule. The average was probably around 1.5...

I do find it problematic to get a consistent grip, as I have to raise up my right shoulder, and try to get between my body and the gun quickly. If I get the grip well, it's usually an OK draw, otherwise I fumble around a bit.

I like the idea of the DOH. It's a shame, because the VMII is very comfortable, and conceals so well for me (which isn't the same thing as being fast, I realize), but I can see it's a comprimize WRT getting a solid draw. Having to reach back behind my right hip, and raise my shoulder up, and peeling the gun away from my body makes this harder than it should be..

So, sounds like I should drop a drop holster, at least for sport.

You probably shouldn't buy a DOH if you are planning on shooting Single Stack in USPSA, but you could use it for Limited 10. A $20 Uncle Mike's or Blade Tech injection molded holster will serve you well.

You probably shouldn't buy a DOH if you are planning on shooting Single Stack in USPSA, but you could use it for Limited 10. A $20 Uncle Mike's or Blade Tech injection molded holster will serve you well.

Remove the dropped and offset hanger and the DOH is legal for Single Stack....believe it's also legal for IDPA as well.

Thanks for sharing some of your times. I don't have a good feel for what's an OK time and what's not.

It seems many posts I read talk about folks having a .8 sec draw, and I'm thinking holy cow, that's about twice as fast as I can do... I'm sure I'll improve with some practice, but .8 seems incredibly fast to me. And I know the GM's can go even faster.

Thanks again for the input. It does help put things in perspective.

The trick with the .8's and below is you have to have a really great index built from lots and lots of reps, since you don't get time to re-align anything. While cool and occasionally useful, most all the top guys teach that a 1.0 solid A-hit is far better than a .8 wild C hit.

Most of us would be real happy with solid 1's from a race holster on match day.

I wouldn't worry about that 1.5 second draw from your IWB holster.

Shoot what you like and be comfortable with the equipment you like and use often.

I still use a Bianchi Hemisphere I bought 11 years ago. It's competitive but not the latest and greatest. I've wanted to swtich to a Kydex or something more conventional for years but can't find anything I like.

That extra half second or so shouldn't hurt on field courses and maybe just abit on classifiers.

You obviously work it well and carry it often. Use it!

If you start to feel the need for speed then change to something different...